Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-03-2018, 12:07 PM   #21
Jim Brierley

Default Re: Piston and rod weights

Old Ford, I use ARP, 12-point nuts part #300-8333. That number is for a 10-pack of nuts, I have been unable to find them individually but I'm sure they are available that way through a dealer. Another advantage of these nuts is if you are using a Model A pan and B crank and rods, you don't need to dimple the pan to clear the rods. Do as hardtimes says, no lock washers. Castellated nuts only have a few full threads, so don't have really good gripping power.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:31 PM   #22
daren007

Dave how do you plan on removing and reinstalling the counterweights. From what I have read this can be a almost impossible task. I would like to know the details when you get to it.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-03-2018, 03:36 PM   #23
old-ford

Thank you Jim. I will order these for my engine beeing assambled now.
old-ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:31 PM   #24
Dave in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by daren007 View Post
Dave how do you plan on removing and reinstalling the counterweights. From what I have read this can be a almost impossible task. I would like to know the details when you get to it.
Daren,
There are small pins that pass through the narrow area of the weight that surrounds the machined cheek of the crankshaft. I plan to machine out the pins and then press the weights to the side. I hope I can slide the weights enough to allow for grinding but still have them stay positioned on the cheek. After grinding, the weight will be moved back into position and then fastened with slightly larger pins.

Dan Price manufactures counterweights patterned after the original Ford weights. Below I have attached a photo of Dan's weights to help explain what I am describing. You can find more info about his products at the following website: http://www.dan4banger.com/products.html

I have a diagram somewhere that shows the angle the pins are when initially installed in the crankshaft to a measurable reference point. I plan to setup the crankshaft in v-blocks and position it on my vertical mill and carefully machine the pins out. One of the crankshafts has been worked on prior as there is a bit of weld over the pins and the mains measure close to .020" undersize. I have to assume the .020" main crankshaft has been ground at least once and that required moving the counterweights previously.
The other crank is free of any weld at the pins and at .010" undersize on the mains. This .010" crank was likely ground at the factory when the weights were originally installed and has not had its counterweights moved.

I will take some photos when removing the pins and trying to slide the weights to the side and add them to this thread. It will be around the end of May when I get to this stage.
Good Day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Counterweights.jpg (67.3 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Dave in MN; 04-03-2018 at 05:09 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote