Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2016, 03:34 PM   #1
FordCustom

Default Steering box removal. 1950 F-1

Am I correct in assuming you can leave the column in place? But yeah you need to get the sector shaft free of the frame so that looks impossible without at least loosening the column at the dash and the filler plates on the floor? So far I have the steering wheel off, and the clamp around the column at the top of the box loosened. This is a column shift truck, so removing the linkages looks like a must also, so you can move the column over to remove the steering shaft. Can anyone help with what needs to be undone to slide the box and shaft out? Working on it right now.
FordCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:59 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Steering box removal. 1950 F-1

Is the truck on a lift? As you are seeing everything has to be free enough to maneuver the box around to clear.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:05 PM   #3
FordCustom

Nope, not on a lift, but I can get it pretty high if needed. It will clear the pedals if it it's all loosened, right? If I have to loosen all the stuff anyway , I might as well remove the whole column out through the bottom? I have to remove the shifter of course.

Last edited by FordCustom; 06-26-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:19 PM   #4
FordCustom

Well, after removing umpteen 5/16th bolts from rusty plates, and the shift linkages, it's fairly free. I haven't unbolted the bracket from the dash yet, so I guess I can do that tomorrow evening. In an hour of work, I think I dropped about a quart of sweat on the floor of the cab. It's miserable hot/humid down here in Houston.

On a side note, I don't need to remove the left manifold do I. I noticed a little resistance there. I guess it will be a lot more maneuverable once the dash bracket is undone.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:05 PM   #5
FordCustom

Okay, EVERYTHING, is loose, and the stupid shift lever REFUSES to come off of the column. Both of the spring pins are pushed in, in fact they stick in a little, and then ,pop out if you wiggle the lever instead of pulling it straight. How are you supposed to push two pins, AND tug on the lever? If both pins are in, why isn't it coming out? At this point I have decided to convert it to floor shift, rather than have this hassle going back in with it. It was damn near impossible to get everything to clear the pedals to get the column dropped down, now I cannot find enough room to twist it around and get it free from the truck with the lever still attached.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:20 PM   #6
Barry-ct

Most disagree, but, try to take it out thru the top. Make sure the pitman arm is off the box. Shift linkage is off the column. Floor plates are out ( both layers ) Disconnect the support off the dash. You may need a helper to hold the top while you get it past the pedals. The seat may have to be unbolted and slid partially out the passenger side. I could not get my truck high enough to slide it out the bottom, so it came out the top. Mine is a floor shift, but I pulled apart a few 51-52 trucks for parts and did it this way. It is not a pleasant job by no means, it sucks!!

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:09 PM   #7
FordCustom

It's a bare floor. I have a non original seat, but I have to fab some brackets for it. I gave up until I feel like buying some special pair of pliers that will leave a hand free to tug the shift lever. If it still won't come out the shift tube is being cut, and it's going floor shift. From the condition of the box, I imagine it's the original one. The adjuster screw is all the way to the stop, and it has a 1/4 turn of wheel play. Well maybe not quite that much, but close.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:50 PM   #8
FordCustom

Well, I am worse off than when I started now... The guy I gave the steering box to took it apart, washed out all of the lubricant, removed two gaskets from the lower plate, and handed it back to me. The adjuster was all the way in to the stop when I gave it to him. and had around 8-10 inches of play at the outer steering wheel rim, and maybe an 8th of a turn of play at the shaft. It is 3-4 times that now or more. he started telling me all of these things I needed to do to it, that I was thinking he was going to do. The gaskets on the lower plate, the adjuster screw, repacking it with grease, and so on.

I never even got a list of things it needs, so it could be rebuilt and put back together. It's together now, but needs to be adjusted both at the lower plate gaskets and adjuster, probably needs new bearings, worm gear, sector gear, etc etc etc. What he did, I could have done.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:31 PM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Have you seen the instructions on VanPelt's site?
Old 07-17-2016, 01:40 PM   #10
FordCustom

Not yet, but since I guess I am going to be doing this myself apparently, I guess I will.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:42 PM   #11
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Sorry about that, LOL

Last edited by JSeery; 07-17-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:44 PM   #12
Barry-ct

They're not that hard to do, worst part is adjusting it properly. Bearings are easy to find, Napa, etc... upper bearing was still sold by Ford ( C3DZ 3517-A and B1AZ 3518-A ) I sold a ton of those in my dealer days. The bushing for the sector shaft, gasket & shim kit is available thru the repo guys. You have to be careful about the worm gear and sector shaft as they are Chinese. Not hardened properly. I did mine 6 years ago with all NOS Ford parts.

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:51 PM   #13
FordCustom

I wonder if the not hardened properly thing can be done after the fact. I work for a place that gets heat treating done on a daily basis. Or does it have to done pre machining? Most f the stuff we send out is still in rough form.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:03 PM   #14
FordCustom

I think I will just take it somewhere, and pay the $300 plus parts to have it done. I don't have the time or the knowledge for this kind of thing. Honestly I don't. I'd probably end up with it too tight, and be right back where I was when it needs rebuilt again. Body work, suspension work, or almost anything else I am good. Rebuilding engines, transmissions, or steering boxes, nope.

Last edited by FordCustom; 07-17-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:09 PM   #15
chap52

This "Hobby" tends to increase our knowledge and skill base. Ya gotta love it!
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:16 PM   #16
FordCustom

While decreasing our wallets, hehe.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:18 PM   #17
JSeery
Member Emeritus

You got that right!
Old 07-17-2016, 07:55 PM   #18
FordCustom

I found a youtube video that explains the adjustment quite well, and what it does. I imagine I need a sector shaft and worm gear at the least and bearings etc. While the adjuster does tighten, which tightens the movement of the shaft, there's still play at all positions. You can turn it lock to lock, stopping anywhere in between, and it will still have rotational play in the movement before the pitman splines begin to move.