Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-04-2016, 08:20 PM   #1
FordCustom

Default 1950 F-1 steering column internal parts?

I just got my steering column out, and the steering shaft out of the steering column.

Now... The only thing at the bottom of the column was the tube, and the clamp holding it onto the steering box. at the top there is a lip inside the tube, and there was a wedge shaped collar that fits into this lip somehow. That's all there was? Then the shaft was sticking out of the tube, and the steering wheel was bolted on. I can't help but think there's a couple of parts missing somewhere? I've been looking at Mac's, and there seems to be a part that looks like a bronze or brass sleeve with a ribbed rubber collar around it? Does this just slide onto the top of the shaft down to the lip, and the steering wheel presses it down? I am confused to say the least.

What is the wedge shaped piece? It's just a split shell really. Is it parts of the replacement bushing sold at Mac's?
FordCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:29 PM   #2
FordCustom

Default Re: 1950 F-1 steering column internal parts?

Well, I just stuck my fingers down into the lip, and found that it turns, so I guess it's some sort of bearing. The inner diameter is much larger than the steering shaft. Pictures in a couple of minutes.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:40 PM   #3
FordCustom

This is the hollow wedge shell thing..

This is the bearing set into the column tube...

Old 07-05-2016, 12:02 AM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The piece in the column is the bearing (second photo) and the cone shaped sleeve locates against it (first photo). There should be a spring that presses again the collar.

Bearing 3517
Sleeve 3518
Spring 3520

The spring is not present in your photos. The spring presses the sleeve against the bearing.

Do you not have a shop manual? I think you would find one very useful, the steering diagram is on page 202.

Last edited by JSeery; 07-05-2016 at 12:14 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:18 AM   #5
34PKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
The piece in the column is the bearing (second photo) and the cone shaped sleeve locates against it (first photo). There should be a spring that presses again the collar.

Bearing 3517
Sleeve 3518
Spring 3520

The spring is not present in your photos. The spring presses the sleeve against the bearing.

Do you not have a shop manual? I think you would find one very useful, the steering diagram is on page 202.
Seeing as you seem to have the manual, would you be so kind as to post the diagram as part numbers are meaningless without the visuals.
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:17 AM   #6
FordCustom

Where does this go then? It has 3517 in the part number though. So, is all of the rubber gone, and it's the same part? The wedge piece in my pic doesn't seem like it's meant to hold up to a whole lot of load at all. It's like a shell stamped out of sheet metal. I imagine you replace the bearing by yanking it out with some kind of internal puller, and then drive the new one in?

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_tr...1948-1956.html

Last edited by FordCustom; 07-05-2016 at 05:50 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:16 AM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The rubber bushing you linked to is not used in the original. It was used in the older car/pickups and guess you could use it if you removed the other parts. I would keep it original myself. All the bearing is doing is centering the steering shaft and providing support.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:24 AM   #8
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustom View Post
Where does this go then? It has 3517 in the part number though. So, is all of the rubber gone, and it's the same part? The wedge piece in my pic doesn't seem like it's meant to hold up to a whole lot of load at all. It's like a shell stamped out of sheet metal. I imagine you replace the bearing by yanking it out with some kind of internal puller, and then drive the new one in?

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_tr...1948-1956.html
This looks like some kind of 'fix' and not the original configuration.
If you can turn the inner bearing race then the only thing that you are missing is the spring. The tapered sheet metal cone should slide easily on the shaft and is plenty strong enough to do its job. All it does is transfer spring pressure to the inner race of the bearing to keep the shaft centered.
This is a rough idea on how it works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brgdwg.jpg (40.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-05-2016, 08:24 AM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Guys, this type of information is readily available. A good source is VanPelt, he has lots of diagrams and technical information (plus quality parts!).

The first diagram is 40 - 47 and the second diagram is 48 - 52. The rubber bushing in the earlier models is 3517, when they switched this part to a bearing they kept the same base number, 3517. If you look in the Green Book you will see this as well. The Green Book just goes through 48, but that is the year they made the change.

I would find it very difficult to work on or purchase parts for a vehicle without a manual and parts list. Depending on suppliers like Mac's to have or sell the correct parts is hit and miss at best!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead_SteeringGear_1940to47truck.jpg (48.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead_SteeringGear_1948to52pickup.jpg (32.7 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 07-05-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:42 AM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

LMC has the parts, #9, #10 & #11. There are also several common bearings that will fit, wheelbarrow bearings being one of them. There are several threads on the HAMB about different bearings that will work if you are interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steering.jpg (81.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 07-05-2016, 08:54 AM   #11
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Additional parts sources:

http://midfifty.com/item.php?INV_ID=1450

http://cgfordparts.com/wwwsectionfil...rts.html#Upper Steering Tube Bearing Kit

Note: This same design was used well up into the 1970s, the later years replaced the cone sleeve with a nylon sleeve, which will also work on the earlier model years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0000019541_0035000400.jpg (6.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-05-2016, 12:13 PM   #12
FordCustom

MUCH clearer now. Thanks for the help guys! I remembera spring, though for some reason I think it was under the horn bucket thing. Or is there two? It seemed right at the time for it to be there, what do I know apparently.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:18 PM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustom View Post
MUCH clearer now. Thanks for the help guys! I remembera spring, though for some reason I think it was under the horn bucket thing. Or is there two? It seemed right at the time for it to be there, what do I know apparently.
Might want to look at the diagrams! The spring is below the wheel, a curved metal plate is used as the horn spring
Old 07-05-2016, 01:31 PM   #14
FordCustom

On my phone right now, and any attempt to enlarge them closes them. I will look at them more when I get home. I just want to get everything squared away, and do it once when I put the steering box back in. That did just remind me to check this other auto parts store for a self leveling grease for the box. Not going to try the oil and have it dripping everywhere 6 months from now.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #15
FordCustom

Sooo, how hard is it to get the upper bearing out? Do I need one of those dent puller style pullers? A broom handle from the opposite end? Or? I searched through my pile of parts and I believe I have found everything. The spring, the horn spring, wedge sleeve, bucket, wire clip, nut, etc etc. I guess I absentmindedly slid the spring off and dropped it in the gallon sized ziploc bag with everything else when I removed the steering wheel. A good habit to acquire, or this house will make it disappear quickly. I definitely need to replace the bearing, and one of the tabs is broken off of the horn button.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:32 PM   #16
FordCustom

The bearing is crunchy, and I definitely don't want to try replacing it later.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:55 AM   #17
FordCustom

Anyone that could help with how to get the bearing out of the top, it would be appreciated? Do you have to have something all the way through the lower end to knock it out the top? Is there a lip at the top so it has to go out the bottom? The box is getting built, and I was wanting to drop the column off to a powder coater today.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:23 PM   #18
JSeery
Member Emeritus

If the tube is out in the open just tap it out with something long from the bottom. Keep working your way around the bearing taping just a little as you go. Be sure you are on the bearing!

Did you get it out?
Old 07-15-2016, 07:43 PM   #19
FordCustom

Yeah, it's out, the box is getting rebuilt, now I just need to paint or powder the steering tube and shifter assembly. I wanted to get the bearing out before taking it somewhere, rather than chip it after the fact.

Is there a lip I should worry about? I am imagining there is some sort of a "stop" to hold the bearing in place?
Old 07-15-2016, 07:57 PM   #20
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I don't know if all years are the same, but the one I am currently working on it is just the bell shape of the housing that holds it. Should come out easy. I believe the column I have is a 38 and it would have originally used the rubber bushing.

Last edited by JSeery; 07-15-2016 at 08:06 PM.