Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-16-2016, 10:22 PM   #1
Prawbly

Send a message via AIM to Prawbly
Default offy trouble ??

Good evening I bought a multi carb offenhauser manifold for my flathead, and it is beautiful. My trouble is that the carbs won't fit. I'm using 94's
3 to be exact. I was only planning on using two. The trouble is the spacing. The front and back work great, bolt right up, but the center one lacks enough room for the carb. It needs about a half inch to work. Is there different carbs to use in multi setups? or did I get an off breed offy manifold. I would appreciate any input. It is a really weird problem.
Thank you Pat
Prawbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:36 PM   #2
deuce lover

Default Re: offy trouble ??

Not positive but I think they are designed for 3 - 48's.81's or 97's.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:46 PM   #3
Prawbly

Yeah Deuce That's what I kinda think. I just wanted some ideas. I have no experience with the multi carb setup so I'm learning as I go.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:01 PM   #4
Bassman/NZ

Offy triples do not take 94s. I think Edelbrocks will. Change the carbs or change the manifold.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:25 AM   #5
outlaw

Question Re: offy trouble ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawbly View Post
Good evening I bought a multi carb offenhauser manifold for my flathead, and it is beautiful. My trouble is that the carbs won't fit. I'm using 94's
3 to be exact. I was only planning on using two. The trouble is the spacing. The front and back work great, bolt right up, but the center one lacks enough room for the carb. It needs about a half inch to work. Is there different carbs to use in multi setups? or did I get an off breed offy manifold. I would appreciate any input. It is a really weird problem.
Thank you Pat
Pat, I'm gonna have the same problem to a lesser degree with the 94's I am gonna use on my Weiand manifold. I only need about a quarter inch or so between my center carb & the end ones. I plan on making or buying a spacer or riser block for the center carb, or maybe one of the isolators that are out there. This might work for you also. I don't have my linkage yet, but eye balling it I'm sure that it will work. Hope this is of some help to you. Bill
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:04 PM   #6
Prawbly

I thought about that Outlaw, but I was leaving that as a plan B. Might still use it if I can't find carbs too work. How high do you think you would have to raise them? I have some 1/2 in aluminum I was going to use, but I want to use the right carbs. I wish they would have said something when I bought the manifold. Oh well that is great learning as you go material !! Well thanks for your input it was great . Pat
Old 05-17-2016, 03:57 PM   #7
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

There is a common kludge for this...it works, but I certainly don't like it. You file down the front screw boss on the center carb and perhaps slightly notch the rear flange on front carb til you get a fit. Looks like the desperate vandalism that it is, but many have done this to get a usable setup without popping for Strombergs.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:23 PM   #8
Ol' Ron

Yes, I've done that a few times myself. One question Why the 3 duces? Just for looks or do you need it for your fire breathing 294?? Now if foe looks, you can carve up an old set of 94's and put block off plates under them. Dummy fuel lines and a good 94 in the middle. I have a friend with a 284 Ardun done this way and rins great ALL THE TIME, but when you pop the hood, Tripples. Now if you plan on running 97's talk to uncle Max, only way to fly.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:50 PM   #9
outlaw

Red face Re: offy trouble ??

Pat, I think that I will be able to get away with about 1/4 to 3/8 inch spacer for the center carb. I havn't looked at mine for awhile. I have had too many sticks in the fire for some time now. I seem to pick up too many projects & get lost in them. I spoke from memory as that's about where I was out on my current build when I got distracted. Bill
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:12 AM   #10
36tudordeluxe

Ditto on the EDELBROCK 500.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1985.jpg (68.7 KB, 37 views)
36tudordeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:12 AM   #11
waldo

They make a triple intake with wider spacing for using 94's. I made a wedge for the front and rear carbs to tilt them away from center carb because I too have an intake with the narrower spacing.
waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:04 AM   #12
Prawbly

Hi guys. It's nice (sort of), to know I'm not alone with this !! After being scared off of epay, I think I'll rig up some kind of spacer. I can't handle the prices of carbs. Thanks for the input. I'll post a pic of what I put together. Pat
Old 05-18-2016, 10:44 AM   #13
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36tudordeluxe View Post
Ditto on the EDELBROCK 500.

I think the only dis-advantage of the Edelbrock 500 carb (and I mean the only dis-advantage) would be that it is wider than other 4 barrels, and may not fit well between the water outlet tubes on the heads of a 59AB type flathead V8.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:48 AM   #14
sidevalve8ba

This set-up is one I used in the past on an Offy three-two intake. It makes it very similar to a "super dual" set-up in that it places the carbs over the ports in the block. I used it with a straight linkage and it worked well. As you can see I used a block-off plate at the center carb position.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5180508.jpg (62.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 05-18-2016, 11:00 AM   #15
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawbly View Post
Hi guys. It's nice (sort of), to know I'm not alone with this !! After being scared off of epay, I think I'll rig up some kind of spacer. I can't handle the prices of carbs. Thanks for the input. I'll post a pic of what I put together. Pat
I can relate to this. Several years ago, I found a Weiand "4 in a row" manifold for the Chrysler hemi in my dirt car. I also had 4 nice 94's. I ended up having to buy 4 97's. All of a sudden, the deal I got on the manifold wasn't so good.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote