Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
eagle

Default Transmission Fluid

When I got my car, the transmission had a real gooey oil in it, it shifted pretty good. This spring I changed out the oil with 600W from Mac's. It made a big difference on shifting, and not for the better! I had to really be careful as it was VERY easy to "grind a pound" and the gears had a harsh "click" to them. I got to thinking about it, and this eve I drained it and put in Lucas gear lube. It is unbelievable! It shifts perfectly. It is almost like having synchro and feels smooth as silk. There is NO need for double-clutching, it slides right in no matter if you are shifting up or down. The tranny is also perfectly quiet, as before it had a little whine/howl. I put 90 miles on this eve and am LOVING it. I always fill the tranny until it overflows out the filler hole, I know thats not the way you're supposed to do it but mine leaks very little. Napa sells the Lucas gear lube and they have a little display on the counter with a little crank that turns 2 gears in a clear case. One side has Lucas in it, the other side 80-90W and the "stickiness" of the lucas lube is very apparent. Supposed to have very superior lubricating traits as well. Does anyone else have any experience with using this product? If so, what could possibly be a downside? The 600W that I took out of there was an ugly foamy mess, I'm glad to be rid of it, and it only had about 200 miles on it.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:46 PM   #2
pat in Santa Cruz

Default Re: Transmission Fluid

my experience with the " made up" 600 w is that it foams and ends up after a few months as a thick coating on the case and not the gears. I presently use Meropa 680. In the past I used Valvata J 460. They seem to work well.

I've never used Lucas, though I have thought about it. One thing I thought about it was how much it looked like Valvata, which is much cheaper than Lucas, although not as readily obtainable.. I still wonder... Keep us posted as time goes on as to how well Lucas holds up.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:51 AM   #3
Patrick L.

This is interesting.. I've used 140, 250, 600 weights as well as 600 W and didn't much difference between them.. I'll look for the Lucas stuff.. About what viscosity would you say it is ??
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:00 AM   #4
Steve Wastler

This is interesting, I too am curious as to any possible downside, would like to hear of others experiences also. Sounds like it works well for a somewhat worn tranny, Any harm in using it in a not too worn one? I am still using surpluss 600 weight from about 40 years ago, my tranny is quiet, but occasionally I find a very small amount of grind.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
eagle

Lucas makes several different products and in my excitement last night, I forgot to mention which one I used. It is the Hub Oil. Says it right on the front of the bottle. It comes in a white plastic bottle with a pointed squirting tip. There is enough room to drain it right from the bottle into the tranny, you don't need a hose or funnel. The Napa store here in town sells it. Al has worked there for 30+ years and is an "old car guy". I went in and asked him what he would recommend. I was looking at STP and Engine Honey, and some other really thick products, but he didn't think they would hold up, or do a very good job of lubrication. His recommendation was the Lucas Hub Oil and it was spot on. He's a man of few words and his comment on the Lucas was "Good Stuff".

Last edited by eagle; 06-02-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

I use the new 1500 wt from Brattons
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
Louis

Eagle,
I tried the 600W and the 1500w from the vender, it was a black goo that turned to foam. Three years ago I drained it out and put in stright STP [trans, and diff. ] have not had a problem, shift's good, But all my driving is in town, I keep hearing that STP is not the best lub. I was thinking about draining out the STP, but not flushing it out, and filling it with Lucas hevy duty gear oil sae 85W-140 in the white plastic container, I dont remember it being called "hub oil", Is the hub oil diff. from the gear oil ?... Thank's.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
Patrick L.

My next try was to use either 1200 or 1500 weight.. I'll try to look into this 'hub oil' and see how heavy it is..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
30Ford

I use Lucas in my coupe trans and rear end...also add some to the motor
30Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #10
Bob C

Link to hub oil
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=2&loc=show

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #11
Art Bjornestad

The reason to use a heavy oil it to lube and cling the gear faces. Modern hypoid oils do not....They are engineered NOT to cling as modern boxes have both tight tolerances and have spiral cut gears that have a wiping motion. We need a lube that clings to the gear faces and lessens the impact of the next face contact.
Art Bjornestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
Brobrian

I have to agree with those who find the "600" too light. I changed out the old stuff and it was like a mix of honey and peanut butter. At the time I thought that was a bad thing. Now I wish I had some of that old stuff. I really notice the difference when the tranny has gotten warm. I love the way the thing shifts and sounds for the first few miles on a cool morning. I think I'll order the Lucas Hub oil.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #13
eagle

Lucas Hub Oil IS different from Lucas Gear Oil. The Hub Oil is stickier/heavier. Actually Lucas is not all that heavy, but its really sticky, hangs on the gears really well. When you tip the jug over and let a drop out of the spout, the drop strings back to the spout, about 2 foot long.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:43 AM   #14
CountrySquire55

I did the exact same changing of the all the fluids before putting my 31 Town Sedan on the road a month ago and the 600W oil in the transmission made a big negative difference. I will change it again and give the Lucas Hub Oil a try. Do you think it would be good to use the Hub Oil in the rear axle also?
CountrySquire55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:10 AM   #15
Pat Martone

QUESTION: Is Lucas Hub Oil thicker and stickier than straight STP for use in the transmission?

I read in a Model A times article years ago that using straight STP in the transmission, steering box, and rear differential was very good.

My transmission is slightly worn, with gear grinding during most upshifts (forget about any downshifts regardless of double-clutching). Upshifting quieted down a bit when I switched from 600W to straight STP which is pretty thick and sticky.

So, would Lucas Hub Oil be thicker and stickier than straight STP and would it make my transmission gear-grinding during upshifts a little quieter?

Thanks.
Pat Martone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #16
Brobrian

I bought the Lucas Hub oil at NAPA yesterday. Looking forward to giving it a try when "the ancient one" gets down here next week. A quart costs $10. In the 20 years I've had the car I've only change the tranny fluid once, so I figure this isn't much of an expense.
Pat, spring for a quart of each and see for yourself. Then tell us what you find.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #17
Pat Martone

I have already tried the straight STP and the grinding has been reduced.
What I would like to know is if the Lucas Hub Oil is inherently thicker and stickier than straight STP, before I give it a try.
I welcome 'barners' opinions on this; thanks again.
Pat Martone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #18
rollingsculpture

stp foams up take a look sometime after youve been driving .
Old 06-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #19
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountrySquire55 View Post
... Do you think it would be good to use the Hub Oil in the rear axle also?
My differential is empty right now, have to fill it with something. I'd like to know the answer to this also.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #20
Louis

Pat,
I have been using stright STP in my trans. and diff. for a little over three years now.
I have had no problem's shifting gears, Don't know how long you have been driving "A" models, But it took me a while to get the hang of shifting gears without grinding,
I found that taking it slow help's the most.
I, like yourself would like to compair the lucas hub oil to the STP but could not find the hub oil at advance auto, or wal-mart's, I guess I will try NAPA in the morn.
From what I have read the lucas sounds like it would be a better lub. then the STP, i don't know.
The reasion that I started using STP was an artical that MR. Roger Kauffman wrote about him using stright STP in his trans. and diff. in his "A", and had been for over 125,000 miles with no problems, I figured if Roger Hauffman used it, it must be ok.
But' im still going to NAPA in the morm. and get a bottle of hub oil [if they carry it]
to compair with the STP.

Just got back from NAPA and O'Rilley's, They don't carry the lucas hub oil ether, I guess it's not dist. here in the Atlanta area,..I'll just carry on with the STP.

Last edited by Louis; 06-03-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote