Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-02-2020, 02:24 PM   #1
David L. Holloway

Default Conversion to 12 volt system

I have been building my 1930 Tudor as original 6 volt system. But I find that the 6 volt battery does not have enough power to spin starter fast enough, consistently enough to be reliable start. When starter does turn over with any speed, the car does start and run fine, the generator showing a little charge on amp meter when running. It is a new battery, but battery is too weak to start the next time needed. I feel that I need to convert to 12 Volt system for the extra power to start. What electrical modifications need to be made for conversion?
David L. Holloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:39 PM   #2
Greg Jones

Default Re: Conversion to 12 volt system

A 6 volt system should work just fine. Make sure you have a good clean ground. Make sure you have a good ground strap at the battery. Those braided ground straps oxidize over the years and lead to a bad ground. Recently was troubleshooting a friends Model A and it would not turn over, even with a new battery. New ground strap and it spun like a top.
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:13 PM   #3
Patrick L.

As Greg said,
Remove and sand/clean all the battery connections especially the ground at the frame. I like to add an extra ground cable from frame to bell housing/transmission. Also check that the wires are of the correct size, should be at least #1 or 0. You might also want to check that the starter isn't drawing too much and in need of repair.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:19 PM   #4
Ak Sourdough

Many threads on here about converting to 12 volts. Do a little search and you will get all the information you could possibly use.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:22 PM   #5
MrBruce

I've driven both my A's for over 34 years and never had a single problem with the 6 volt system. You can run your phone and GPS off the 6 volt system as they both only take 5 volts. If it doesn't spin the motor make sure that the battery cables are for the 6 volt system and that the starter isn't bad. Twelve volts are really hard on a 6 volt starter and you could be beside the road with a broken starter spring. Just my thoughts, but I've only been driving a Model A for 38 years.
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:01 PM   #6
Greg Jones

Agree with MrBruce, 12 Volts can be hard on a system designed for 6V. Bent starter shafts come to mind....don't ask me how I know.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:55 PM   #7
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
Agree with MrBruce, 12 Volts can be hard on a system designed for 6V. Bent starter shafts come to mind....don't ask me how I know.
If you're converting the car to 12 volts, converting the starter is a part of the job. If that is not done, the job hasn't been done properly. Any job done half assed won't be much good IMO. I've done about 70,000 miles in my A since I converted to 12 volts (I did the job properly) and have had no problems, only enjoyed the advantages.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:15 PM   #8
gdmn852

My car has been changed over to 12 volt but haven’t owned it long enough to find out how good of a job they did.If you keep the 6 volt system, as mentioned in a previous post, use large cables for battery to starter and ground. Not being familiar with 6 volt systems ,auto parts stores don’t have cables for them as a general rule.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:05 PM   #9
nkaminar

David,

You stated that the ammeter is showing a little charge. Besides all the comments about contact resistance and grounding straps, which you should follow up on, you also need to know if the battery is receiving a proper charge. The generator third brush may need adjusting. Check the battery voltage when the battery is being charged. It should be 7 volts or more. Lots of people convert to alternators but a generator should work if nothing is wrong with it and it is adjusted properly. I have found a voltmeter replacement more useful the the ammeter.

A 6 volt car should start just fine if everything is working properly. If you do decide to convert to 12 volts, follow through with converting the starter to 12 volts.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:05 PM   #10
mike657894

ive broken a bendix bolt and it sounds like a hammer hitting to start the turning of the engine. and my points always need cleaning. im thinking of switching back.

Get good at hand starting your car.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:18 PM   #11
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike657894 View Post
ive broken a bendix bolt and it sounds like a hammer hitting to start the turning of the engine. and my points always need cleaning. im thinking of switching back.

Bendix bolts break all the time on 6v. And why would 12v effect your points? I would suggest you have other issues. Perhaps an incorrect coil?

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 12-02-2020 at 07:54 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:02 PM   #12
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike657894 View Post

If you're having point trouble then I'd suggest checking the voltage to them, it shouldn't be over 8v. If it is then you have an improper coil which would either need to be replaced with a 1.5 ohm coil or add an in-line ballast resistor to a 3.0 ohm coil.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:42 PM   #13
Greg Jones

Guess I was one of those who half-assed converted to 12V on my 26 Model T. It's back to 6 volts (full-assed). My main point was to make sure you have a good ground. Otherwise, convert it to whatever you want-you still need a good ground. I see so many crudded up Model A's with crusty battery cables and folks immediately thinking they need to "upgrade" to 12V. Do whatever makes you happy.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:50 PM   #14
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
Guess I was one of those who half-assed converted to 12V on my 26 Model T. It's back to 6 volts (full-assed). My main point was to make sure you have a good ground. Otherwise, convert it to whatever you want-you still need a good ground. I see so many crudded up Model A's with crusty battery cables and folks immediately thinking they need to "upgrade" to 12V. Do whatever makes you happy.
The main reason I converted was because I am often driving in remote areas where getting a 6 volt globe or coil is out of the question (forget a battery). 12 volt stuff is readily available though. If 6 volts stuff is available, a good system is OK but terminals need to be maintained. I'd use some dielectric grease on all of them.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:09 AM   #15
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
If you're having point trouble then I'd suggest checking the voltage to them, it shouldn't be over 8v. If it is then you have an improper coil which would either need to be replaced with a 1.5 ohm coil or add an in-line ballast resistor to a 3.0 ohm coil.
Methinks you have something bass ackwards.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:07 PM   #16
PotvinV8

Sounds like your battery is toast. A single starting activity should not be draining the battery to the point where it's unrepeatable. Check the aforementioned cables, connections, etc and put that battery on a charger over night.

Keep in mind that it's the battery's cranking amps doing all the work when turning the engine over. Switching over from 6 to 12 volts may not actually result in an increase of cranking amps depending on the battery you purchase, so it's not as simple as that.

Food for thought. If you want to do a little light reading, here's a story I wrote for Hot Rod Magazine rewiring and converting my Model A to 12volts. Hopefully you'll find something useful in the story...

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/upgr...-a-12v-system/
PotvinV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:23 PM   #17
Kurt in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Bendix bolts break all the time on 6v. And why would 12v effect your points? I would suggest you have other issues. Perhaps an incorrect coil?

How often is "all the time", it's been 30 years, and when the clutch was stuck I used the starter to drive the car out of the garage and to start car in gear to drive, I think the reliability is more attention to small details, I used new bolts and locks, a lot of the used bolts have worn threads that allows them to wobble and come loose
I have 6 v, but because of bright lights and fast cranking I have been told I must have 12v system
Kurt in NJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:18 PM   #18
Purdy Swoft

Converting to twelve volts is a VERY SIMPLE procedure . I allow mine to remain positive ground and no wires need to be changed or swapped . The original style wiring system uses large gauge wire that will carry 12 volts with no problem . It will be necessary to use a resister at the coil if the original style 1.5 OHM coil is used . I prefer to use a three OHM coil for better performance . I use the Pertronix flame thrower three OHM coil and no resister is needed . I use the original generator and set the adjustable brush for a 10 amp maximum charge rate . I use the Fun Projects voltage regulator that takes the place of the cut out . I use the generator for the original look . An alternator will give brighter lights because the alternator will put out more amps than an original generator is capable of producing . The Original starter works well on 12 volts . I prefer to use the modern starter drive for dependability . The generator runs cooler on 12 volts because of the lower amperage setting at the adjustable brush . If original look isn't important , the alternator will put out higher amps for brighter headlamps . I always replace all bulbs .

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 12-03-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:28 PM   #19
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Methinks you have something bass ackwards.

1.5 ohm for 6v and 3 ohm for 12v. It there is too much voltage to points a ballast resistor may be needed.
Thought thats what I said, if it wasn't its what I meant.

My thoughts were that Mike was still using the '12' volt coil, but, upon re-reading his post it appears that he has not switched back to '6'v. So maybe/probably my thinking is/was backwards. Regardless I think he should check the voltage to his points and go from there. If the voltage is correct then there could be a condenser capacity issue.

Last edited by Patrick L.; 12-03-2020 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:37 PM   #20
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
How often is "all the time", it's been 30 years, and when the clutch was stuck I used the starter to drive the car out of the garage and to start car in gear to drive, I think the reliability is more attention to small details, I used new bolts and locks, a lot of the used bolts have worn threads that allows them to wobble and come loose
I have 6 v, but because of bright lights and fast cranking I have been told I must have 12v system
Haha, I figured someone would take that figuratively. I didn't mean "all the time" to one person. But do a search on "broken Bendix bolts" and see how many threads there are.

Of course, according to your past posts, seems like everything you have is original and has lasted 90 years.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote