Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-15-2019, 01:08 PM   #1
V12Bill

Default Cooling System

I looked up the capacity of the cooling system in my 1950 V8 F1 pickup in the Shop Manuel and it said 23 quarts. I put in 2 gals of antifreeze and 1 1/2 gals of distilled water and that brought the fluid level up to the radiator cap. I thought there must be one heck of an air bubble in the system , so I started the engine to circulate the fluid. Naturally, when the system heated up the fluid expanded and ran out the overflow. When the system cooled down, the level was at the fins where it belongs.

My question is, is the system 23 quarts or is that a misprint that should read 13 quarts?
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:03 PM   #2
G.M.

Default Re: Cooling System

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Bill View Post
I looked up the capacity of the cooling system in my 1950 V8 F1 pickup in the Shop Manuel and it said 23 quarts. I put in 2 gals of antifreeze and 1 1/2 gals of distilled water and that brought the fluid level up to the radiator cap. I thought there must be one heck of an air bubble in the system , so I started the engine to circulate the fluid. Naturally, when the system heated up the fluid expanded and ran out the overflow. When the system cooled down, the level was at the fins where it belongs.

My question is, is the system 23 quarts or is that a misprint that should read 13 quarts?
Sorry Bill but the coolant should be right up near the filler neck. BUT without a 4lb pressure with the overflow in the filler neck you will lose coolant. The best thing if you don't have the cap is to run the overflow into a plastic recovery bottle, The coolant will go into the bottle and as the engine cools at 155 degrees the coolant will be sucked back into the radiator. G.M.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #3
fordy_nine

Default Re: Cooling System

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
It sure isn't 13 quarts - not for a flathead. Twenty- something sounds correct. I think my V-8 flathead sedan held 22 quarts; my flat six holds 18 or 19. Add 1 quart for the heater.....Bob L
fordy_nine is offline   Reply With Quote