Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-07-2018, 01:38 PM   #1
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Lower Radiator Hose assembly disassembly

Have searched the forum and have been unable to find the exact info I am looking for.

1st time I removed the lower hoses/tube I had to cut them off and smooth/repaint the radiator outlet and the block inlet neck. Put things back together, no issues no leaks.

Then started flushing back/flushing. I got lazy and cut the hoses a little shorter and was able to disassemble/reassemble without having to take the block neck off.

When my radiator gets replaced next year it is time to replace the hoses, the current ones are showing some wear and cracking from age and abuse from repeated assembly/disassembly.

Am curious, why did Henry do it this way, requiring removal of the Block inlet? Opinions/facts?

With new proper length hoses is there a method to assemble/disassemble without removing the Block Inlet Neck?

What should I use to lubricate the hoses for assembly, not bond the hose to radiator and block neck, and remain for the life of the hose?

Have seen suggestions - Silicone spray, Vaseline, Indian Head shellac, RTV, others. Am more concerned about ease of taking hoses off 3 years from now, and using something safe on the hoses. Have not had any issues with hose leaks since I have followed other advice on the Barn.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:06 PM   #2
JBill

Default Re: Lower Radiator Hose assembly disassembly

Well, it's been a while, but as I recall I installed the lower hose and tightened the clamps, then slid the upper hose far enough onto the metal pipe that it did not interfere with lining in up with the block outlet. Then just slid the hose back into place. I used dish soap as a lubricant. Now to answer your main concern, I have not taken it off since, so I can't assure you that this method would solve that problem!
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:29 PM   #3
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBill View Post
Well, it's been a while, but as I recall I installed the lower hose and tightened the clamps, then slid the upper hose far enough onto the metal pipe that it did not interfere with lining in up with the block outlet. Then just slid the hose back into place. I used dish soap as a lubricant. Now to answer your main concern, I have not taken it off since, so I can't assure you that this method would solve that problem!

I've tried that, maybe the hoses are longer these days?

I've had the lowest hose seated against the radiator as much as possible, and the higher hose as far as possible close to the engine block, with hose clamps not tightened down. Then tried to inserting the pipe. Insert one end of the pipe into one of the hoses as far as it will go. The other end of the pipe will not clear the other hose so it can be inserted into its end of the hose.

If using dish soap, will it keep the hose from bonding to the tube over an extended period, for instance 2-3 years?
Old 10-07-2018, 02:38 PM   #4
30 Closed Cab PU

OK, hope I have provided you all a good laugh.

I think I made a pretty basic rookie mistake.

Perhaps if I was not so narrowly focused I would have released the error in my thinking.

I need to put the hoses on the pipe, before installing the hoses on the radiator and block, Duh!

Still would like to know the answer to the preceding dish detergent question.