Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-28-2020, 07:28 PM   #1
shew01

Default Dipstick for Tremec T170 Transmission

The previous owner of my 1931 Victoria replaced the original transmission with a Tremec T170 (an overdrive transmission).

Does anyone know if Bratton's "Transmission Dipstick Set Up" (https://www.brattons.com/transmission-dipstick-kit.html) will thread into the fluid check hole and work without modification?

Or, does the Bratton work with some sort of modification? Or, is this not even an option for a T170?
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:30 PM   #2
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso
Default Re: Dipstick for Tremec T170 Transmission

Maybe it would be best to contact a Tremec dealer. I spoke to a dealer from Texas at the Good Guys Car Show at Del Mar last year.

By the way, I’m interested in finding out how the transmission is working out for you.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:30 AM   #3
shew01

That’s the problem. It has been difficult to learn much about this transmission. I don’t know where to find a Tremec dealer. I had it to an area transmission shop (where I’ve taken antique cars in the past), but they didn’t want to work on this one.

As I understand it, it’s out of a 1984 Ford Bronco. The day I bought the car, it shifted wonderfully. After I drove it home, it developed a really bad leak (1 oz every 11 miles) within about 600 or 700 miles and started shifting hard. I think the seller was honest, but the car had been sitting for a while in a garage. Sometimes old cars start leaking after they start on the road again.

I finally found a Model A mechanic, and he replaced the rear seal in the transmission. I’ve driven it a couple hundred miles since then, and I’m cautiously optimistic that it is fixed. However, I still feel the need to climb under the car to check the fluid every time I drive it, which is a nuisance. So, I’m thinking a dipstick might be a better way to check the transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2020, 06:42 AM   #4
JRN1967

shew01, the 3spd overdrive transmission in a model a is a custom conversion. I don't think there's a vendor that makes accessories for this setup.

I installed this same transmission in my 30 coupe, and the difference from the original non synchro 3spd to the RTS (T170) is night and day.

You replaced the rear bearing with a sealed one, so you should be all set. If you were leaking 90 weight trans oil, you'd notice it leaking from the clam shell. It would be thicker than motor oil.

I'd check it regularly from the plug, and if the level isn't dropping it should be good. If you want to know more about this transmission do a search here and you'll learn more than anywhere else.

John
JRN1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:05 AM   #5
Jim Baskin III Pa.

I just checked mine the other week and the fill plug is the same threads and size and about the same location as the Model A fill plug.
Jim Baskin III Pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:57 PM   #6
rotorwrench

These transmissions were made in Mexico at the Tremec plant down there. They were discontinued in 1987 so parts are getting harder to source every year.

The model A transmission will easily accept a dip stick and I know there are kits for them but I don't know about any for the T170 RTS unless it's stated that it's for that model. It just depends on whether there is anything in the way inside there. With all the synchros and the cross over rocker set up in there for the ovrdrive, it's pretty busy inside that housing.

I don't know if they have much for a drain plug either unless the tail housing is removed. It seams like a person has to draw it out of there with a lube suction gun. If a suction gun will go in then the dip stick could.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 01-29-2020 at 02:25 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:32 PM   #7
fried okra

Location: Daniel Island,SouthCarolina/Knoxville, Tennessee/Sanibel Island,Florida

No drain plug on these as I understand.
fried okra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:58 PM   #8
kenparker

No pictures to help so lots of description. I climbed under my cars to measure and see how this new dipstick thingee will fit and work.

On my car wiht stock model a transmission the new dipstick thingee willcome thru the floorboard about 3.5 to 4 inches behind the emergency lever and about 1 inch to the right - plenty of room. on the F150 transmission it will come up thru the floorboard about 2.5 to 3 inches behind the emergency lever and about 1 inch to the right -again plenty of room.

The threads in hte stock Model A fill plug are 1/2" pipe plug. The threads in the F150 fill plug are the same thing - 1/2" pipe thread. Thus the new Brattons dipstick thingee will fit into and up thru the floor of your Model A.

My opinion. Once you have the sealed rear bearing into the back of the F150 transmission you wont have to worry about leakage again. Nor will you have to check the level every 1000 miles - unless sumpin else goes wrong.

Refeence. My F150 in my coupe has over 30,000 miles on it and the level is still up to the top of the threads of the fill plug.

These RTS transmissions out of the 1985 thru 1987 F150 have no drain plug. ken
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:42 PM   #9
AL in NY

Listen to Ken, he used to sell F150 install kits for the Model A. The full level mark on the dipstick will read correctly on the F150 because both the F150 and the Model A transmission are full when the oil runs out the fill hole,
Old 02-08-2020, 09:04 AM   #10
shew01

I purchased the dipstick from Snyder’s. Unfortunately, it does not fit.

Old 02-08-2020, 09:16 AM   #11
jw hash

does someone have the part number for the sealed rear bearing for the T170?
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:19 AM   #12
shew01

Default Dipstick for Tremec T170 Transmission

Ken Parker would likely have it. Ken, would you mind posting the part number?

Old 02-08-2020, 09:47 AM   #13
Mulletwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
I purchased the dipstick from Snyder’s. Unfortunately, it does not fit.

Think the issue is the dip stick pipe is 3/4 pipe thread and the trans plug thread is 1/2 pipe. Maybe you can get a pipe nipple with 1/2 pipe threads of the correct length, modify a pipe cap and use the dip stick. The mod really is worthwhile and simplifies checking and adding lube. The system is actually designed to slowly pass oil through the aft bearing to lube the U joint which means checking and adding oil is actually routine maintenance.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:20 AM   #14
duke36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw hash View Post
does someone have the part number for the sealed rear bearing for the T170?
Try Transmissionpartsdistributors.com
Vince Falter's Ford Garage has the parts exploded diagram but no parts numbers.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:45 PM   #15
AL in NY

The part number for the one sided sealed rear bearing I used was MRC308SZZG, but I don't remember the manufacturer.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:19 PM   #16
rotorwrench

It has an MRC number. SKF is the parent company for MRC now days.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:12 PM   #17
kenparker

Al is right. The part number is 308SZZG. Manufacturer is MRC. Dont know about the parent company thing. Roto is probably right. The ZZ stands for the seal on both sides.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:47 PM   #18
John

For the SKF bearing series used on the Tremec Ford overdrive transmissions, you need a 6308 2RSNR bearing. This bearing has an inner and an outer rubber seal, thus the 2RS designation and the necessary snap ring, NR designation for retaining ring, on the outer race. You can remove the unnecessary inner seal if desired. A ZZ bearing has two metal shields, one on each side and may be more leak prone when used for the tailshaft bearing. You must use the bearing with the outer race retaining ring in the F150 OD transmission.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:45 PM   #19
JRN1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
For the SKF bearing series used on the Tremec Ford overdrive transmissions, you need a 6308 2RSNR bearing. This bearing has an inner and an outer rubber seal, thus the 2RS designation and the necessary snap ring, NR designation for retaining ring, on the outer race. You can remove the unnecessary inner seal if desired. A ZZ bearing has two metal shields, one on each side and may be more leak prone when used for the tailshaft bearing. You must use the bearing with the outer race retaining ring in the F150 OD transmission.
I also used this same bearing SKF 6308-2RS1NR
JRN1967 is offline   Reply With Quote