Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #1
W E Mack

Default 1996 Ranger

I dont know if this is the right place to ask this, and my apologies if it's not. If it was built after the mid '80s and doesn't have a carburator I'm pretty much lost in the dark.

Here's the problem /question--I have a '96 Ranger PU, 3 litre V-6, 5-speed manual with 230,000 absolutely trouble-free miles. Last week ( don't ask me why ) I wrung it out thru' 1st and 2nd--1/4 tank gas, 89 octane--didn't bump the rev-limiter or squeal the tires. Now it runs rough under steady power, cruising speed, but it's smooth as usual under normal accelaration. What gives? Next day I put in a can of Seafoam and topped it up with 93 octane, seemed to smooth out a little, but didn't fix it. I thought maybe I had sucked some dirt into the fuel tank filter/sock or the injectors. A mechanic friend told me tonight it sounds like maybe an EGR valve. I know it's not an FE or a Y-block, but does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks a bunch....W.E.
W E Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:20 AM   #2
LOWRIDER

Default Re: 1996 Ranger

I doubt if its the EGR valve, but to confirm it just unplug the vacuum line to it and drive it to see if the problem goes away. Check the basics after that. I would take an old squirt bottle filled w/water and squirt down the plugs, plug wires, dist. cap & coil to see if it starts to run rough. If you do it at nite you might be treated to light show.
LOWRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
Ole Don

I would suspect a chunk of carbon changed the way a valve seals. In the old days, we would run the motor at about 2000 and slowley pour a quart or so of clean water down the carb to clean the crap off the back of the valves. The Sea Foam may do the same but it will take longer.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
W E Mack

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. This thing is injected and I've heard it's not a good idea to squirt water into 'em, but I have thought about squirting the Seafoam directly into it. It says on the can you can do that so that might be my next step after the plug-wire light-show!

I thought that too, about the valves, Ole Don. BTW are you gonna' have that '55 in your avatar at the Salt this year? I'm about 90% sure I'm goin', so if you're there I'd like to look you up and say " Hi. "

Eddie.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:18 AM   #5
Ole Don

Eddie, current plans are to drive the F150 to the August meet, and the 55 to the September meet, then stick around for the Shootout a week later, but no more racing. Hope to meet you there.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
W E Mack

Yeah, I hope to see ya' there. I'm not sure yet which meet I'll be going to or whether I'm drivin' or ridin' with someone else. But I'll keep an eye peeled for ya'.