Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #21
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: No Fire from coil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper79 View Post
Ok back from testing, sorry for the delay had a small kidney stone working from my right kidney... 3rd one in the past several years..

anyways.

took out the condenser and checked for any power at the points and all was dead. took the coil wire and attempted to see a spark or anything. nope nothing. If the points are closed you should have no voltage, No voltage is normal. Open the points and you should read voltage.

Cut off the power and put in the other coil.

Checked again at the points for juice and with the points closed had 0.00 on the voltmeter. Took the coil wire and hoped for a spark or anything... nope nothing.. If the points are closed you should have no voltage, No voltage is normal. Open the points and you should read voltage.

So time for a new condenser..

Where does everyone get all their parts? I been ordering stuff from Mike's A fordable.. don't know if they sell quality stuff or not.

Thanks again for any help or suggestions.

Dave
Please review the wiring diagram to see the current flow.

Please review the step by step procedure posted here and to systematically zero in on the problem.

With the points closed you should read zero volts. With the points open you should read 6 volts.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #22
Keeper79

sorry should have said that I did test to see if I had power with the points open.

I tested it with the points open and closed with both coils and with the condensor out. I did have 6.11 volts with the points open both times and 0.00 with the points closed.

Dave
Keeper79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #23
Milton

Quote:
sorry should have said that I did test to see if I had power with the points open.

I tested it with the points open and closed with both coils and with the condensor out. I did have 6.11 volts with the points open both times and 0.00 with the points closed.

Dave
That is as it should be. Now, with points closed, put the coil wire close to a head nut and use your finger nail to open the points. When they open the current will stop, the magnetic field at the coil will collapse and cross the wire coil generating a spark to the head nut. Ta da
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #24
Keeper79

Dang, think that is what I forgot to do last night.. I did everything but open the points to see the spark. I just got the wire close to the head nut expecting it to arc...

Thanks for pointing all this out..

Will return shortly to see what happens.. should take long as everything is already set.

Dave
Old 08-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #25
Keeper79

well, I tried it with one coil and nothing. Swapped out the coils and still nothing. Made sure there was 6V going to the points both times with the points open and 0 volts when closed.

So I guess this means that the coils are bad, and might as well get a new condensor while I am at it.

Thanks again for the help guys.

The 3 yrs of sitting certainly took its toll on this car.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #26
Tom Wesenberg

Mitch, the points need to be set with the rubbing block on the high point of the cam.

Keeper79, I doubt the coils are bad. Install the new condenser and see what you have for spark. Also make sure the coil wire is a good solid wire, and not a worn out carbon wire. Also make sure the spark isn't bleeding to ground at the coil tower, which is unlikely since you already bought one new coil.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #27
Mitch//pa
BANNED

tom thanks for the correction my mistake long day at work
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:40 AM   #28
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:

Dave
That's better I thought we were going backwards for a moment.

As soon as you opened the points you should get a spark out of the coil wire, if the coil is good and the coil wire is near a head bolt, even without a condensor.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #29
Keeper79

Will place an order for some new parts. Buddy at work was joking that I should just put an MSD box in it and be done with it..

Sorta takes out the fun, but would be more reliable.