Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2015, 12:01 PM   #1
hangarb7

Default Air Maze, here we go again!

Hey I just wanted to hear what the bad things are about the AirMaze. I see some think they are bad but I can't find the reason why. Do they hold fumes or what?

Been using one for about 7 years and I know the car came from the factory with nothing at all.

Just tell me what you think.

THANKS!

JackD
hangarb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:00 PM   #2
RockHillWill

Default Re: Air Maze, here we go again!

I too, am interested in the 'expert' opinion on these as well.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:08 PM   #3
KenCoupe

I don't use one and I'm not and expert, but my understanding is that the air maze restricts the air flow to the carburator which can cause the car to run too rich and possible reduce power due to the carb not "breathing" enough. Please correct me if I am wrong.
KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:24 PM   #4
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

The only thing that is bad, is if you put a paper filter in it. It will get wet with gas, so if there is a backfire , it can ruin your whole day. The restriction to air flow is only theoretical. It would be very hard to measure the small restriction.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:27 PM   #5
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Jack D,

FWIW, this is what I think; however, thoughts with no actual experience will always vary considerably.

1. Any air constriction on the carburetor intake that does not allow "enough" air to enter the carburetor, will generate a carburetor mixture with too much fuel and not enough air; hence, the mixture is classified as "rich" in fuel whereby one begins to get excess black soot and carbon build up on plugs and in the interior of the combustion chamber.

2. After time, carbon builds up around valve openings constricts the flow of the fuel/air mixture; hence, engine efficiency is greatly hampered until one scrapes off this carbon build up around valves and cleans plugs so plugs can fire properly.

3. If a typical metal air maze's outer surface intake area is about 10 times larger in square inches than the approximately 4.75 square inches of the open intake of a carburetor, it should allow sufficient air where air starvation will not occur; however, if an air maze gets clogged with dirt, air starvation can occur.

4. Today's finer filter element surfaces must have larger outer surfaces to work properly because air passage through these finer materials is less. (Carburetor balance is a different subject and option.)

5. My Model A in the late 1950's came with a carburetor filter made with a large "rigged" tin can open on both ends filled with a few oil soaked non-ferrous "Brillo Pads". (Also had no engine pans on either side of engine).

6. With only gravel roads in our rural area, I cleaned the makeshift oiled "Brillo Pads" every weekend in a clean coffee can with clear kerosene. My guess is that it filtered about a teaspoon and a half of medium to coarse sand every week.

7. Air mazes are required by Coast Guard regulations on marine engines in case of engine backfire -- air filters on open compartment marine engines operating on water are considered almost useless because of little dust in the air.

This is only what I think. LOL
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:38 PM   #6
wallster

I've read that they can get saturated with fuel and if the carb backfires it can start on fire, this seems plausible to me. That's a decent reason to question them but I removed mine because she just starts and runs better without it (and with the engine pans installed and asphalt roads I'm not worried about not running a filter). This is all personal opinion so do what you want with your car and enjoy the ride.

Wally

WallysSpectacularManCave
wallster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:41 PM   #7
FL&WVMIKE

The "AIR MAZE" will catch small birds and large rocks.
MIKE (mikeburch)

I don't think that you have to worry about air restriction.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:45 PM   #8
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Sarah came with one, very saturated from a bad leaking carb. I took it off, found a way to keep the carb from leaking by turning the gas off and letting it run out. But, considering I live on oil and chipped roads, dust and chips can end up being sucked inside, I don't have pans on, I did put a maze back on, a new one. If I live on a constant hardtop roads, I'd take it back off. I do have pans to put on and I might take it back off when the pans are installed.....maybe.
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:46 PM   #9
Jim/GA

The original metal screen AirMaze is not as restrictive as a paper element would be, but there is still some restriction. They were intended to be cleaned periodically and then oiled again (not run dry). Dust and dirt is supposed to stick to the oily surface. It probably does, for a while. As it does, it probably also increases the flow restriction. I always viewed them as keeping the big stuff out of the engine.

Flow restriction from any air filter on a stock Zenith carb will make it run richer (kind of like having the choke partially closed). You can compensate for some of this by closing the GAV, but once it is fully closed, you are out of adjustment.

If you "pressure balance" the Zenith carb, the restriction does not make it richer any more, but it does somewhat reduce maximum power (kind of like not being able to fully open the throttle). Most of us do not run our Model As at wide open throttle for a long time, so this is probably a minor point.

Roads today are not as dusty as they were in the '20s and '30s. Engine pans help to keep the inlet to the carb cleaner. So I would not worry about running without an air filter.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:22 PM   #10
Patrick L.

As said the original Air-Maze had a metal screen and I can't see how it can detrimentally restrict a Model A carburetor. I've been running one for the 39 years I've owned one just because some folks say you can't, and, it came with it.
But, do they help? As said, they'll only filter out sticks, stones and small children. And if you want to filter any dirt at all they should be oiled constantly. I don't own enough stock in Mobil/Exxon for that, nor do I have the time.
So I guess the main reason I use it is cuz I like the looks of it.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:31 PM   #11
raprice22

I have the metal screen Air Maze filter in my Model A. I can't discern any restriction of air into the carb with my Air Maze. The one I'd be concerned about is the paper filter. I can really see how that filter could restrict air flow. I just have to remove my filter every once in a while and clean it, dry it and reinstall it back on my carb.
Rog
raprice22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:11 PM   #12
al's28/33

I agree with those in favor.....I have one with the metal screen, never had any issue, car runs and idles perfectly for a stock driving "A".
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:44 PM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON

I read, "somewhere" that with a paper element filter, you need 1 square inch of filtering area for each 2 square inches of engine displacement??
What do you all think????
Bill W.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:01 PM   #14
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
I read, "somewhere" that with a paper element filter, you need 1 square inch of filtering area for each 2 square inches of engine displacement??
What do you all think????
Bill W.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:05 PM   #15
mhsprecher

No expert, but both of my cars came with one, with paper elements. They were soaked with gas. I removed the one from my sedan, replacing it with one of the newer plastic ones with K&N filters. What a difference it made. While it is true that roads are not as dusty as they once were, what engine do you know that has been made for the last 60 years that does not have a filter? Few, if any. There is a reason for that.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:12 PM   #16
freak

An Air-Maze came on my car when I bought it. It ran great. I replaced the carb because it had a machining defect so I bought an air balanced carb. Put the Air-Maze on it and it ran the exact same as the first carb. So that led me to believe it doesn't restrict air flow and I'm very glad to have it. It collects a lot of junk on the outside that I occasionally wash off. Glad that junk doesn't go through the engine.
freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:17 PM   #17
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I'm sorry but maybe I'm just in a bad mood but you knew this thread was going to be problematic by your title "..here we go again".

A simple search will find a ton of information on the air maze, unbalanced pressures, fire hazards, etc. They will also show the mods used to over come these things.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:11 AM   #18
RandyinUtah

I agree with Mike, this has been well researched and talked about in the past.
RandyinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:04 AM   #19
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Jack D,

Being in a good mood, after a possible 40 trillion Forum responses to benefits of Air Mazes much later in the year 3046, one may then in 3046 be able to possibly agree on the following:

If you have carbon build up on your plugs or in your combustion chamber, adding an Air Maze will not help to clean your plugs.

But, we today on this Forum know better ....... there will always be someone in 3046 who swears his Air Maze completely overhauled his engine on a 3 mile trip. LOL
Old 05-31-2015, 06:25 AM   #20
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyinUtah View Post
I agree with Mike, this has been well researched and talked about in the past.
Those who do not learn from the past are bound to repeat it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:41 AM   #21
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
That's what my fortune cookie said
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:41 AM   #22
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Number 1 answer, so true
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:51 AM   #23
31 Model A

Well....I'm in a very good mood. Last night was weekly bath and change my Depends Day. If anyone has run out, let me know, be glad to send ya you a fresh one to change. It does wonders, ya feel fresh, friendly and makes ya want to go out and scrub and clean your whitewalls too.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:25 AM   #24
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
Well....I'm in a very good mood. Last night was weekly bath and change my Depends Day. If anyone has run out, let me know, be glad to send ya you a fresh one to change. It does wonders, ya feel fresh, friendly and makes ya want to go out and scrub and clean your whitewalls too.
Thanks, 31,
But I have 37 left frum when I caught "THE GREEN APPLE QUICKSTEP" in the RE-HAB place!!!!! Wunder if I peeled the plastic off, maybe I could use them fur AIR FILTERS, inside my OLD wire AIR MAZE??? These ur some "off brand" so "maybe" the GENUINE DEPENDS would be better??? "MAYBE" a small chunk in the sediment bowl wuld trap & hold WATER???
By the way, whin I became a "SENIOR MEMBER", I NEVER got my FREE box of DEPENDS??? "MAYBE" the USPS lost them??? UR "maybe" this is jist a RUMOR, passed around by sumbody in TRANSYLVANIA, ur wuz it PENNSYLVANIA???--Some guy named Twitch, I "think"???---But what do I know--My coffee hasn't "KICKED" in yet, but my ANTI-PAIN PILL is beginning to take the "EDGE" off the pains
Hope you ALL have a GREAT DAY
Bill W.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:48 AM   #25
31 Model A

Quote:

Thanks, 31,

By the way, whin I became a "SENIOR MEMBER", I NEVER got my FREE box of DEPENDS??? .
Bill, I suggest you check with your son, Mitch, he's so full of shit, he'll do anything, even steal from his own kin, to keep his arse dry!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2015, 10:09 AM   #26
H. L. Chauvin

I heard that there are so many Model A owner's talking about using Depends lately that the Depends Co. will start making Model A carburetor filters to compete with Air Maze.

So says they will be advertised in a new Model A "Twin Pack" ...... one for the Model A drivers and one for the Model A carburetors.

They will even be offered in either higher priced White-Wall or cheaper Black-Wall filters to match the current price trends of Model A tires ...... their marketing study showed that some Model A owners would rather die than switch tires.

Just thought everyone would like to know this and seek a mood change.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 05-31-2015 at 10:11 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-31-2015, 10:20 AM   #27
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Model A owners would rather die than switch tires.
I have always took pride in being a person that tolerates diversity and I'd have no problem changing to black walls right now as long as....someone else paid for them. I would like to say though, when these white walls wear out, I'd be more than happy to change to black walls because that means, they wore out before me putting me way over 90 years old and I wouldn't care what was on the wheels by then.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:30 AM   #28
BILL WILLIAMSON

They only make them in WHITE, so's you know whin they're DIRTY.
After my FIASCO, I decided to NEVER make jokes about Depends AGAIN!! BUT, I just couldn't keep myself from doing it!
Bill W.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:40 AM   #29
31 Model A

Quote:
They only make them in WHITE, so's you know whin they're DIRTY.
After my FIASCO, I decided to NEVER make jokes about Depends AGAIN!! BUT, I just couldn't keep myself from doing it!
Bill W.

Being light hearted and joking about our dispositions/shortcomings is an American trait.....that is slowing disappearing. When experiencing it, hearing it, reading it, it's refreshing to know, Americans still have a sense of humor.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:14 PM   #30
H. L. Chauvin

Hi 31,

Many on here will agree with your statement .... lots of American Spirit & humor here ...... some exposed, some not always in view ..... Mussolini's and Hitler's single opinions made it a crime to laugh at their shortcomings ...... their citizens sadly found out too late ...... the day we stop voicing different opinions, we will be herded like defenseless sheep ...... exposed to the wolves.

Like it or not, freedom to make fun of future discussions on WW tires, non-detergent oil, and Air Mazes coupled with being light hearted is part of what made our successful American past different.

The shortest book that could be written on the success of "Single Opinions" could maybe have been written on One-Way Hitler and Mussolini, entitled:

"How In the End, We Both Succeeded."

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 05-31-2015 at 12:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-31-2015, 06:22 PM   #31
Tacoma Bob

The paper filter element is in fact a fire wailing to happen. Don Bader in our club gave a convincing demonstration using a K&N filter compared to the paper filter. There was a huge difference. No discernible restriction with the K&N. It fits the Air maze housing. And being most Model "A" rs are cheap...mmm sorry I meant thrifty, all you need to buy is one.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:34 PM   #32
hangarb7

Well, I asked the question and I asked the way I did because I detected it might be contentious because of various opinions I saw elsewhere including a random comment about ditching the AirMaze someone else had in a picture of their car. I wanted to hear all sides.

What really amazes me is that, 1) if the word AirMaze is in the title, that those grumpy joes are still gonna click on the title even though it irritates the hell out of them, or 2) did they really expect that after 80 years there would be any new subjects regarding the Model A Ford?

I guess we don't need any new thread discussions, as it has all been discussed before. For the folks who did chime in with their opinion of the AirMaze, I appreciate it.

And yes, I will search the archives for answers next time rather than ask a silly question. I doubt I'll ever be considered a senior member.
hangarb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:46 PM   #33
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangarb7 View Post
Well, I asked the question and I asked the way I did because I detected it might be contentious because of various opinions I saw elsewhere including a random comment about ditching the AirMaze someone else had in a picture of their car. I wanted to hear all sides.

What really amazes me is that, 1) if the word AirMaze is in the title, that those grumpy joes are still gonna click on the title even though it irritates the hell out of them, or 2) did they really expect that after 80 years there would be any new subjects regarding the Model A Ford?

I guess we don't need any new thread discussions, as it has all been discussed before. For the folks who did chime in with their opinion of the AirMaze, I appreciate it.

And yes, I will search the archives for answers next time rather than ask a silly question. I doubt I'll ever be considered a senior member.
I wouldn't worry too much about it, some don't have an active love life that a few, very few, here, I won't mention any names but he has a 31 Model A, that keeps a smile on their face and a disposition of a circus clown. Being a senior member is all academic anyway........... it don't mean a thing if you ain't got that swing!!!!! When I see a thread about Air Maze, Whitewalls, etc, a smile comes to my face because I know the fun is about to start!!!!!
Old 05-31-2015, 07:52 PM   #34
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangarb7 View Post

You need to hang around and become a senior member.. That's when u get your free box of depends
Right Vince
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:55 PM   #35
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
You need to hang around and become a senior member.. That's when u get your free box of depends
Right Vince

Sure!!! I became a senior member only three days after joining and all I got was complaints that I posted too much!!!!