Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-29-2015, 05:13 PM   #1
Fred K-OR

Default Installing standard points in the distributor

I am confused again (happens all the time).

The question is: What items go on the point breaker arm bottom bolt before you put on the nut. I see in Bratton's catalog it looks like: 1) steel spacer, 2) flat washer/lock washer(??), 3) wire from lower plate, 4) lock washer/nut. When I try to put all of these things on the bolt, I can't get the nut on. Where have I messed up? I took my old distributor apart and there seemed to be a fabric washer on it in place of the flat washer. Again, please give me some ideas. I am confused.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:31 PM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Installing standard points in the distributor

does this help
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/Co...rAssy-7020.pdf
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:40 PM   #3
29er

Hi Fred: I just got through doing this because I built up a second distributor as a back-up to carry with me. I'm looking at the same diagram you mentioned, "Distributor Assembly", published in Bratton's and Snyder's catalogues. Yeah, that's the one that Mitch posted above.

Going in order from top to bottom:

(1) Thick steel spacer (item # 20 in diagram)

(2) Insulating washer (item # 21 in diagram)

(3) Terminal flag of pigtail wire (Item # 22 in diagram). By the way, I find it's easier to install the terminal flag flat, then, after the nut is attached, bend it 90 degrees to help lock the nut in place and prevent a short from occurring between the flag terminal and the spring.

(4) lock washer (item # 23/24 in diagram)

(5) nut (item # 23/24 in diagram)

I don't believe it's necessary to install a washer between the insulating washer and the flag terminal of the pigtail wire, but other, more knowledgeable folks may chime in here. Anyway, the order I described works for me and there's sufficient room on the peg for all that hardware.

Mike in NE Oregon

Last edited by 29er; 05-29-2015 at 07:49 PM.
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:26 PM   #4
RonC

The diagram has a mistake in it. A fiber washer goes between the shaft collar and the top of the casting. The distributor design allows oil to work up the shaft but not past the fiber washer into the point area.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:54 PM   #5
Fred K-OR

The insulating washer or the fiber washer is where I still have a question. The question is: is it a metal washer like shown in the drawing or should it be a fiber type washer like RonC mentioned. If fiber, I don't see any of the vendors showing this type of washer for sale or maybe I have missed it. When I took the distributor apart, I did find two thin fiber type washers on it but like I mentioned, can't seems to find a place to buy new ones.

Thanks guys for the help. Yes I now agree with Mike. It is best to put the terminal flag flat and then bend it 90 degrees. I tried bending two brand new ones from Bratton's before installing them. Now I had to order two new wires to replace the terminal flags I broke. Shure wish I know what I was doing!
Old 05-29-2015, 08:03 PM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

here is the mounting kit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (56.3 KB, 102 views)
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:23 PM   #7
Fred K-OR

Thanks Mitch, that looks like what I need. Sure clear up my confusion.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:32 PM   #8
29er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post

Thanks guys for the help. Yes I now agree with Mike. It is best to put the terminal flag flat and then bend it 90 degrees. I tried bending two brand new ones from Bratton's before installing them. Now I had to order two new wires to replace the terminal flags I broke. Shure wish I know what I was doing!
Fred: I had the same problem with breaking that flag terminal. I wound up replacing the entire pigtail wire using the excellent one I got from Bratton's. Their multi-strand wire is itself very flexible, and the flag terminal is LOTS more stout than the one on the wire that comes attached to their lower plate. Incidentally, if you replace the said wire with the separate one sold by Bratton's, you may want to shorten it up as per H.L. Chauvin in a recent thread (which I can't find right now, but I will track it down if you'd like).

mike
Old 05-30-2015, 12:02 AM   #9
29er

Fred: Here's a link to the thread I mentioned above (Post #8):

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...68#post1087168

See especially the photos in Post #13, and the discussion by Mr. Chauvin in Post # 15
Old 05-30-2015, 09:35 AM   #10
Fred K-OR

Thanks Mike. I ordered some more parts, wire, etc. so now maybe I will get this job done. What I am trying to do is get a good extra distributor for each rig.

BTW are you going to the NWRM is Walla Walla?
Old 05-30-2015, 12:07 PM   #11
Bob C

I had to trim a little off the sleeve with the lathe on the
last one I did to get a little end play also.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:29 PM   #12
29er

Hey '30 Coupe: Great tip! Thanks! I think Fred is talking about "the other" fiber washer... the one that goes on the bottom of the upper distributor plate (see the diagram that Mitch posted above... item #21 - "insulating washer") that goes between the metal spacer and the terminal flag of the pigtail wire. I believe you are referring to the arrangement of the so-called "thrust washer":

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/thrust-washers

I will be sure to check the alignment of the rubbing block and the cam, as you suggest. I have my distributor apart now, and like Fred mentioned above, am building up a spare to take along on trips. By the way, many thanks to Tom Endy for suggesting this. In his excellent articles on distributors, he mentions it's so much easier to carry a spare that has already been timed to your vehicle rather than trying to figure out which component of the distributor (points, pigtail wire, condenser... ) has caused your car to crash. And, Tom also suggests servicing your distributor regularly, which I now do once a year (clean, gap and dress points, check tightness of nuts, lube, etc). I've learned lots building a spare distributor and servicing my every-day one. Oh! And while I'm at it, Thanks to Bill Williamson for the tip about checking the tightness of the upper plate post that the moveable point arm fits onto. I found mine was loose and wobbly. As Bill says: "TAP, TAP, TAP" to tighten it up.

FRED: YES! I'll be driving Henrietta ('29 Special Coupe) up to Walla Walla with at least on other guy ('31 Vicky) from here. How 'bout you? It would be fun to try to meet up somewhere.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:54 PM   #13
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
Hey '30 Coupe: Great tip! Thanks! I think Fred is talking about "the other" fiber washer... the one that goes on the bottom of the upper distributor plate (see the diagram that Mitch posted above... item #21 - "insulating washer") that goes between the metal spacer and the terminal flag of the pigtail wire. I believe you are referring to the arrangement of the so-called "thrust washer":

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/thrust-washers

I will be sure to check the alignment of the rubbing block and the cam, as you suggest. I have my distributor apart now, and like Fred mentioned above, am building up a spare to take along on trips. By the way, many thanks to Tom Endy for suggesting this. In his excellent articles on distributors, he mentions it's so much easier to carry a spare that has already been timed to your vehicle rather than trying to figure out which component of the distributor (points, pigtail wire, condenser... ) has caused your car to crash. And, Tom also suggests servicing your distributor regularly, which I now do once a year (clean, gap and dress points, check tightness of nuts, lube, etc). I've learned lots building a spare distributor and servicing my every-day one. Oh! And while I'm at it, Thanks to Bill Williamson for the tip about checking the tightness of the upper plate post that the moveable point arm fits onto. I found mine was loose and wobbly. As Bill says: "TAP, TAP, TAP" to tighten it up.

FRED: YES! I'll be driving Henrietta ('29 Special Coupe) up to Walla Walla with at least on other guy ('31 Vicky) from here. How 'bout you? It would be fun to try to meet up somewhere.
Sorry to say, I have a trailer Queen which will go up there on my trailer. The huckster is really not a "Queen" but the seats in it are about a soft as sitting on a board. So this old bod only sits on them for an hour or so. Trip up there from here is about 6 or so hours.

Yes we should get the old Barn gang together up there for a sit down to talk about Fords. Maybe someone could post a notice where and when to do this. I don't know the area so would not know where to suggest. Maybe Pluck would have a spare moment to do something like that. With the meeting in his town, would guess he is a bit busy.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:18 PM   #14
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Fred: Here's a link to the thread I mentioned above (Post #8):

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...68#post1087168

See especially the photos in Post #13, and the discussion by Mr. Chauvin in Post # 15
I notice H.L. mentioned that the wire should be shorten so that you can move the spark advance OK but not to long. Guess the question I have is what is the approximate length of this wire. I read somewhere that it should be 4 1/2 inches but the one that came with my lower plate measures only about 3 1/2 inches. Anyone have a guestimate at to how long might be about right?
Old 05-30-2015, 11:33 PM   #15
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
I notice H.L. mentioned that the wire should be shorten so that you can move the spark advance OK but not to long. Guess the question I have is what is the approximate length of this wire. I read somewhere that it should be 4 1/2 inches but the one that came with my lower plate measures only about 3 1/2 inches. Anyone have a guestimate at to how long might be about right?
Mine goes all the way around.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:48 AM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

I use 4 1/2" on my lower plate wire.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:47 AM   #17
29er

Oh Great Gatsby!

Thanks! Now, besides worrying whether to use detergent or non-detergent oil; install black walls or white walls; use water or anti-freeze in my radiator; add an air filter or not, I gotta fret the length of the pigtail wire in the dizzy!!!

Feeling my Depends beginning to bunch,
Mike
Old 05-31-2015, 10:08 PM   #18
Fred K-OR

Mike, a person has to have a few worries. May as well be about a Model A.

Thanks Tom. 4 1/2 sounds like a good length.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:41 PM   #19
29er

Fred: SO true! By the way, I split the difference and made mine 4"... that way I'll only be somewhat wrong! (as usual)

Look forward to seeing you in Walla Walla. Don't forget your Hubley!

Mike
Old 06-01-2015, 11:40 AM   #20
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Fred: SO true! By the way, I split the difference and made mine 4"... that way I'll only be somewhat wrong! (as usual)

Look forward to seeing you in Walla Walla. Don't forget your Hubley!

Mike
My wife's Hubley beat me so many times I will have to get mine "tuned" up.