Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-27-2015, 11:34 AM   #21
ped58

Default Re: Real Wheel Bearing Grease

I have been using Mobil 1 for all my wheel bearings too.
ped58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:39 AM   #22
RonC

Specifications can be found in the November 1932 Ford Service Bulletin.

For wheel bearings, Ford specified an NLGI grade 4 grease. This grease is firmer than the commonly used NLGI grade 2 multi-purpose grease most everyone uses today for wheel bearings. I believe the NLGI grade 4 was specified to reduce leakage. However today we use better seals allowing the use of thinner NLGI 2 grease which I believe is better for wheel bearings. If you have ever seen old grease in wheel bearings from the day you may have noticed how firm the grease is.

For the universal joint, Ford specified to use “universal joint” grease which was 600w oil thicken up with sodium tallow soap. Ford also stated that the universal grease was not as thick as wheel bearing grease.

The specification I found for Universal Grease in the November 1932 Ford Service Bulletin has a ASTM Worked Penetration of 310-330 which equates to NGLI 1 “tomato paste” grease.

A lot of people use the John Deere "Corn head Grease" for the universal joint which is an NLGI grade is 0. This may leak out more than the thicker NLGI grade 1 specified.

For the water pump, Ford specified pressure gun lubricant. Ford recommended NOT to use a "water pump grease" which is grease with a higher melting point than the water temperature reaches. Ford was afraid that globs of grease could break free and infiltrate the radiator and clog the tubes. The lower melting point wheel bearing grease could liquidfy and pass harmlessly through the system. This is probably why Ford recommended frequent regreasing of the water pump bearings.

For the distributor cam, Ford specified Vaseline. Today it is probable better to use distributer cam grease made for that purpose.

Here's a chart of grease grades: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NLGI_Grade

Here's a link for buying corn head grease
http://www.greenpartstore.com/John-D...ubricants.html
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #23
Joe K

Above an excellent study. Thank you.

One of the problems with driving an obsolete vehicle is that obsolescence wipes out both the dealer support AND the sundries. Meanwhile we do what we can to "reverse engineer" the necessary sundries.

Similar to my examination of the rear axle hub nuts - which has proven to me NOT to buy these nuts from a supplier - but go for the gusto with the best available in the modern marketplace.

But who would know unless someone like above does the legwork first?

Thanks,
Joe K
Old 01-27-2015, 01:16 PM   #24
Hicktick

Don't you just love the smell of all the different old greases ???

Just thought of this ,.., worked in shop big new tub of grease ,,.,. guys couldn't keep it away from brake lathe ,.,,. crunchy grease ,,., ruined

Old 01-27-2015, 08:03 PM   #25
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicktick View Post
Don't you just love the smell of all the different old greases ???

Just thought of this ,.., worked in shop big new tub of grease ,,.,. guys couldn't keep it away from brake lathe ,.,,. crunchy grease ,,., ruined

i do love the smell of SOME greases...i just dont like it when i think im "clean" and go inside and sit down but can still catch wiffs of it i know its on me somewhere...