Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-28-2016, 11:58 AM   #1
av8tor_jim

Default Advice needed: 1950 F1 Parts

I'm new here, but need some advice. I'm restoring/rebuilding a 1950 Ford F1, flathead V-8. I'd like to keep it pretty much stock and use OEM parts, except for converting over to 12VDC.
1. Where would I find the best quality/priced OEM parts: steering; suspension; braking; electrical harness; etc.?
2. Is it worth adding front disc brakes, or staying stock drums?
3. I'd like to move the fuel tank outside the cab and under the bed. Any suggestions/suppliers?

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

Jim
Nashua NH
av8tor_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:03 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Advice needed: 1950 F1 Parts

Little bit of conflict there, you say restore and then ask about disc brakes!!!!

The F1 brakes were popular in the 50s and 60s as a Hot Rod upgrade for earlier cars and they are what I run on the front of my 33. They are very good brakes and I would stick with them. Same goes for the steering box. If you go on some of the F1 sites they love to pull the brakes off and "upgrade" them. That's ok, but they are into modified trucks/pickups and I really don't see any reason to do it myself.

Not sure if the drums are hard to come by, on my 33 I used the later model F100 drums. If you need information I can get the numbers.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:13 PM   #3
Vic Piano

The F-1 Bendix brakes work very well, the upgrade you might want to make is a dual master cylinder (for safety). Moving the gas tank out of the cab and under the truck is not something I've considered doing to my '51 F-1 so I can't make any recommendations. I should mention that I run the OEM single master cylinder in my truck. The only problem I've encountered with the OEM brakes is fading when they get wet... Somewhat normal with drum brakes.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:13 PM   #4
Vanspeed

I bought all my wiring for my 48 F-1 from Sacramento vintage ford. It was perfect, correct cloth coloring and everything fit like a glove. It will more than handle 12 volts plus their tech guy makes them and can walk you through any issues you may have.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:14 PM   #5
av8tor_jim

Thanks for the fast reply and advice JSeery. My front drums are actually in good shape, though the wheel cylinders all need to be rebuilt. I'd prefer to keep it all stock and original, but I've heard enough advice on converting over to 12VDC and getting the gas tank moved out of the cab. Finding OEM parts is my real goal.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:30 PM   #6
KiWinUS

Half Ton Fun NJ
Bob Selzan he is the best
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:40 PM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8tor_jim View Post
Thanks for the fast reply and advice JSeery. My front drums are actually in good shape, though the wheel cylinders all need to be rebuilt. I'd prefer to keep it all stock and original, but I've heard enough advice on converting over to 12VDC and getting the gas tank moved out of the cab. Finding OEM parts is my real goal.
There are lots of suppliers, not sure about any one being consistently better on quality. I use LMC a lot. I think the 12v upgrade is a reasonable consideration and fairly easy to accomplish.

Not sure I understand the concern about moving the fuel tank, seems like a a lot of effort for nothing to me, unless you are looking for space behind the seat. No safety concerns that I'm away of.

You can get wheel cylinder rebuild kits or replacement wheel cylinders easily. I got some from Rock Auto, U.S. made and very good pricing. I replaced everything when I redid the brakes, springs, all hardware, adjusters, everything. Cost very little, most of the parts kits were in the several dollar range ($4 or $5 dollars, I think some were less than that!).
Old 04-28-2016, 12:41 PM   #8
Barry-ct

Get yourself a set of parts books for the 48-56 trucks. Look up the parts, get the part numbers and use this source, www.partsvoice.com for NOS parts. If you're looking for repo stuff, then there quite a few out there, such as Mac's, C&G parts, Sacremento Vintage parts, John's F-100's, LMC truck, and more. I am restoring a 50 F-1 and I go for NOS stuff first.
As for wheel cyls, just replace them, don't rebuild. They're cheap enough. Replace all the steel lines and rubber hoses in the brakes. Safety first.
If you're going the disc brake route, that is not restoring. it's modifying. Restoring means to make it as Ford built it. Too many people mis-use the word.

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:27 PM   #9
Seth Swoboda

Contact Glenn Sanders, he is a fordbarner who specializes in F1 parts. He has a current ad on the swap meet page and he is located in the north east as well.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:14 PM   #10
Ken Crans

Welcome to the Barn Jim,all of us F-1 guys have used all the above mentioned sites for parts. All excellent sources to get yours running. And we also like pics! Ken
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:22 PM   #11
Ford Freak

I've used Mac's quite often , w/good results .
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:47 PM   #12
Ol' Ron

Criticizing someone for trying to make his OLD FORD safer by installing better brakes. Makes me wonder what he thinks of safety belts. Restoring a vehicle to it's original form is great for those looking foe a 1000 point museum piece, instead of a good running OLD FORD as a daley driver. JMHO
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:54 PM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Criticizing someone for trying to make his OLD FORD safer by installing better brakes. Makes me wonder what he thinks of safety belts. Restoring a vehicle to it's original form is great for those looking foe a 1000 point museum piece, instead of a good running OLD FORD as a daley driver. JMHO
Sorry Ron, guess it's just a disagreement on what are good brakes. To me F1 brakes are good brakes! That is what I run on my 33. No intent to discourage safety at all, I honesty believe they are good brakes! It's not a matter of the car being original to me, none of my cars are anywhere near original!
Old 04-29-2016, 05:39 AM   #14
FortyNiner

On the gas tank relocation: Before you go own this path, consider the consequences on filler tube and exhaust routing. This is a change that often becomes its own project to accommodate the down stream dislocations.

The F1 drums seem to have lost their repo source in the last couple of years. Unless a new provider has emerged, they cannot be had. A number of houses show them as catalog items but are not able to fill an actual order.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:08 AM   #15
Frank Miller

Join the Early Ford V8 Club of New England. We have our monthly meetings in Boxboro MA and a lot of members in your area.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:22 AM   #16
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyNiner View Post
The F1 drums seem to have lost their repo source in the last couple of years. Unless a new provider has emerged, they cannot be had. A number of houses show them as catalog items but are not able to fill an actual order.
Yep, I use the later F100 drums 76 Ford F100 Rear. Here are some part numbers I have used:

Brake Drums: Raybestos 2677R
Shoes: Raybestos 228PG
Wheel Cylinders: Raybestos (R) WC37083 / (L) WC37084
HW Springs: Bendix H7144
HW Adjusters: Carlson (R) H2540 / (L) H2541
Old 04-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #17
TStiles

My 51 F1 gets used as a driver, for dump runs, etc. and has stock brakes w/updated plumbing. Of course discs would ultimately be safer, however I've never experienced fade or any sense that they were unsafe. And as far as the tank goes, I've been fine with the stock location. See no particular need to move it.
TStiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:39 AM   #18
RandyZ

There is nothing wrong with the gas tank in the cab. If your in a wreck bad enough that the tank ruptures, Your not going to be alive to worry about it. I've had mine like that for 25 years now. drive it and enjoy it
RandyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:36 AM   #19
av8tor_jim

Thank you all for the advice, options, and parts places. I've heard enough now to try and keep it all stock. This truck will be an around-town grocery gitter, so the drum brakes should work fine (my drums are good enough to turn a couple of more times). The gas tank will stay put. You guys are great! I'm sure I'll be returning for more advice in the future.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:41 AM   #20
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Having good drums is a real plus! Should last for may years. Post some photos when you get a chance.