Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-26-2020, 08:47 AM   #1
Road Journey

Default Waxing or Polishing 1929 Ford Model A

Started waxing 1929 Ford Model A in fair condition, newly painted hood in July. Tried three Turtle Wax, Color Cure Car Black ChipStik, Car Wax, & Color Magic & clay bar. Looks good from distance but already fine scratches on hood. May or may not buff out.

Am interested in what you may recommend. Water spots were big problem after washing. Also what you use on windshield & roadster back window? Headlamps, chrome or stainless? Use what?

Thank you & a big safe & Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Last edited by Road Journey; 11-26-2020 at 10:17 AM.
Road Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:02 AM   #2
eagle

Default Re: Waxing or Polishing 1929 Ford Model A

I used buffing compound and a wheel buffer on my entire car as the paint is from the 50's. The new generation of high quality nanotechnology ceramic polishers are amazing. I use it on all my vehicles. Read this: https://www.thedrive.com/reviews/276...ating-for-cars

Last edited by eagle; 11-26-2020 at 10:11 AM.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 01:04 PM   #3
nkaminar

I am using Rejex, a polymer not a wax. It is easy to apply and is advertised to last 6 months outdoors. www.corrosionx.com. I don't have any problems with scratches but I think that has more to do with the cloth being used rather than the product. The car has to be clean before using any wax or polymer. To remove fine scratches use finishing polish that is designed to remove swirls. Refer to the link that Eagle provided.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 01:54 PM   #4
Blue-Truck-Nut

Water spots are definitely a concern here also, I use synthetic chamois after each wash, and for touch ups in between. Works on everything, chrome, glass, whatever. Just keep the dust rinsed out.

Turtle wax and comparable products are more for protection than getting scratches out, after you get your finish where you want it, a coat of wax will help with water spot control and such. I've started using McGuire's spray wax lately, it's really easy to apply, smells great, and works ok. I especially like it on windows, moisture beads up and rolls off, and bug clean up is a breeze. But, the first time you turn your wiper on it will be hazy, so keep that in mind, and use at your own risk. I never use my wiper even in heavy rain, so it's not a problem for me.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Blue-Truck-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:39 PM   #5
Herb Concord Ca

Living in California, our drinking water is blended with sea water. For water spots I use an in-line filter on the end of the hose. Got from Amazon, brand name is AquaCrest outdoor water filter, no more water spots.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:33 PM   #6
jm29henry

I would say it would depend on your skill level. Do you have a Buffing wheel? If so there is a 3m product called finesse it would be perfect as a lot of body shop youse this product. I would be concern about how much paint is on your hood . There is also a good product called color back made by turtle wax if you are trying to do it by hand it has worked well for me . I hope it comes out well please let us know Joe
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:02 AM   #7
rotorwrench

The type of paint or even clear coat has a lot to do with how it reacts to the elements. I use a polish compound that is made by Turtle products and it works well on most paint surfaces but it is NOT a wax. The key with polishes is how fine they are and how soft the application is. A person has to careful when buffing. Any contaminants on the surface can have abrasive particles that will scratch the surface. Make sure everything from the surface to the applicator and the polish are free of contaminants.

I use Micromesh to polish acrylic plastic cabin windows. I seldom use the more course abrasive pads in the kit because it's harder to get the scratches out that they cause than it is to remove the existing scratches. The process is done wet in different abrasive steps and has pads that go up to 36,000 grit. After all that, I still have to polish with jeweler's rouge.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-27-2020 at 10:08 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:44 AM   #8
Gary WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Journey View Post
Started waxing 1929 Ford Model A in fair condition, newly painted hood in July. Tried three Turtle Wax, Color Cure Car Black ChipStik, Car Wax, & Color Magic & clay bar. Looks good from distance but already fine scratches on hood. May or may not buff out.

Am interested in what you may recommend. Water spots were big problem after washing. Also what you use on windshield & roadster back window? Headlamps, chrome or stainless? Use what?

Thank you & a big safe & Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.
Great products I have been using for years Griot's Garage Official Site | Order Direct from Griot's Ad · www.griotsgarage.com/Griot's Garage Official Site | Order Direct fromGriot's Garage Official Site | Order Direct fGriot's Garage Official Site | Order DirecGriot's Garage Official Site | Order D
Griot's Garage Official Site | Order Dire
Old 11-27-2020, 10:48 AM   #9
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Carnauba wax,3M foam pad buffer slow/ medium speed,buff till gloss,done
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:31 AM   #10
Dick Carne

No one has mentioned it, but I will sometimes use a 3-M hand glaze to address fine scratches. The fellow who buffed our Cabriolet after painting also recommended using Mcquire's wax products as a final sealer/polish. Good luck with this. I'm certain that between all of these comments you will find a satisfactory solution.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote