Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-30-2020, 01:07 PM   #1
Mikko_

Default Affordable Ford V8's

I'm currently in the process of putting together a 1928 Model A Phaeton powered by a 4 banger but I'm feeling the itch for a flathead V8 powered car too.

I've been reading up on different models but all I've come up with so far is that I definetly want a closed car, don't need 2 open top cars in the Swedish climate.

Budget is tight so the initial purchase cost would need to be around $10 000 so that pretty much rules out all coupe models I guess.

I'm no stranger to working on old cars but I want something that atleast is close to a running car.

What would your choice be with these criterias and why?
Happy to hear your opinions and suggestions.
Mikko_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:22 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Affordable Ford V8's

A 30's era coupe with a V-8 that is running.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:28 PM   #3
rockfla

For me it would be either a 1935/36 2 Door Slant Back OR either a 1939 Standard Two Door OR 39 Mercury Two Door. I think the 35/36 2 door slant back is sporty looking for a Sedan and I love the look and style of the 39 Standard and the 39 Mercury has a lower leaner look!!! OH and NO white wall tires on either PLEASE
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:25 PM   #4
KiWinUS

Welcome. Look carefully & you may find a older restoration model A coupe for under $10000. Then get a Vern Tardel book to build an A/V8. Getting a restored car gives you upholstery,bodywork & paint already completed along with being complete. Bid $$$ saved here. Model A’s of any model can still be purchased at a good price in the US if you take your time & look.
Good luck.
Cheers
Tony
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:26 PM   #5
KiWinUS

Sorry double post.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:28 PM   #6
petehoovie

Given your "tight" budget, you should consider a four door car....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:33 PM   #7
drolston

Go to Hemmings and search on your make, years, and dollar range (plus a little for negotiation). Not much "near running" shows up, but there are a few '49 - '53 sedans that could be fun.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:42 PM   #8
ford38v8

For a daily driver, I'd choose '50-'53 Ford 3 speed OD. These will have the gearing, suspension, comfort, and availability of parts and service you'll want at a reasonable price.

For a car that may sit idle during much of the year, consider a '37 or '38 Ford. These will have cable mechanical brakes, which will prove to be reliably superior to early hydraulics.

Any car you decide on should be the best example of that model you can find, even if you have to pay premium for it. You'll be sorry if you go for the bargain without considering the long term costs.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:56 PM   #9
Mikko_

Great answers.
Budget could probably be stretched a bit above 10k, winter is coming so I have a few months to do some more saving before next summer.

AV8's are cool and I have the Tardel/Bishop book but with one Model A project going already I feel like I don't need another big project right now, even if I have a ´47 flathead and '37 toploader sitting in the garage.

I will look into the 35/36 slantbacks a bit more, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:16 PM   #10
5851a

Kind of like a "which oil is best questions". The later the car the more comfortable and the more complicated. I would think anything from 39 to 48 is a happy medium. Nothing against earlier or later all have quirks but just a medium.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:29 PM   #11
Mikko_

I'm not looking for a definitive answer, just want to hear some opinions from more experienced people than myself.

Fully aware of that it's my decision to make in the end of what car to buy.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:07 PM   #12
Jim in Wisconsin

How about a Volvo 544, seeing as how you're in Sweden? They look like a 41 Ford.
Just kidding of course.
I love old Volvos- I have two 1800's and a 544.
Jim in Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:15 PM   #13
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Wisconsin View Post
How about a Volvo 544, seeing as how you're in Sweden? They look like a 41 Ford.
Just kidding of course.
My best buddy on this ford starved island tools around every day in a 544 Duett, which is pretty much a suburban/panel delivery volvo. He has a chicken crate (which I gave him, from Jonesborough Arkansas) on the roof rack, along with a bald spare tire and a galvanized gas can. I gave him the chicken crate because his mom was born in Johnsborough AR. Maybe I find a pic later.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:35 PM   #14
GB SISSON

Couldnt help myself. John is such a great guy, even though he is a volvo guy. G&otta say it's a cool vehicle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg duett 2.jpg (70.0 KB, 1474 views)
File Type: jpg duett 1.jpg (55.3 KB, 1470 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 01:00 AM   #15
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Couldnt help myself. John is such a great guy, even though he is a volvo guy. G&otta say it's a cool vehicle.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:38 AM   #16
Mikko_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Wisconsin View Post
Just kidding of course.
Funny you mention it because it has crossed my mind but these days they bring almost the same money as a Ford V8.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:32 PM   #17
HDowse

The 1939 and 1940 Tudors and Fordors are relatively inexpensive for what you get. The 39 has that classic dash and floor shift as well as the last year for bulb headlights before Ford went to sealed beams. The 40 has a 'modern' dash, shift on the column and just slightly more visible tail lights. One caution, check the rear end ratio stamped as a series of numbers on the differential pumpkin. Mine turned out to be a 4.11, too low for highway speeds but a great excuse to buy and install. Mitchell overdrive. Good luck finding your V8, you'll enjoy it along with the A, as I do.
HDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:48 AM   #18
Mikko_

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDowse View Post
The 1939 and 1940 Tudors and Fordors are relatively inexpensive for what you get. The 39 has that classic dash and floor shift as well as the last year for bulb headlights before Ford went to sealed beams. The 40 has a 'modern' dash, shift on the column and just slightly more visible tail lights. One caution, check the rear end ratio stamped as a series of numbers on the differential pumpkin. Mine turned out to be a 4.11, too low for highway speeds but a great excuse to buy and install. Mitchell overdrive. Good luck finding your V8, you'll enjoy it along with the A, as I do.
I do like the looks of 39-40 Tudors and Fordors a lot better than 41-48 Tudors and Fordors.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:34 PM   #19
Newc

Hi; Buyer just shipped my '34 circle track car to Germany and I saw the bill of lading, under $2500 I remember. Oakland docks to Germany by way of the Panama Canal. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:51 AM   #20
deuce lover

Here Mikko,

You won't get much cheaper than this '39 dlx 4dr.Its on the west coast so shipping to a port won't break the bank.Make sure the title matches the frame number.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ested.1209365/
deuce lover is online now   Reply With Quote