Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-30-2016, 05:05 PM   #21
harleytoprock

Default Re: throw out bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian View Post
thanks Tom , trying to get back at car to take a picture, but while looking into inspection cover shouldn't T O bearing be near fingers? mine appears to slide forward 3 or 4 inches before coming in contact with fingers , the bearing body is long style.
How can the T O bearing be 3"-4 " away from the fingers? Sounds very wrong.
harleytoprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:27 PM   #22
canadian
BANNED

while bolting on pressure plate with aftermarket disc clutch fingers drawn in so deep that T O bearing had to travel full length to even touch fingers that were already compressed.
canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:49 PM   #23
Tom Wesenberg

A new disc will have a much thicker lining than a worn disc and this will make the pressure plate fingers move in more. I've never heard of a disc that had too thick a lining.
How thick is the new disc?

BTW, I had to adjust the fingers on the last new pressure plate I installed. They weren't even with each other, and they were quite a bit off the 11/16" correct depth.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:01 PM   #24
canadian
BANNED

hey Tom , maybe i used a canadian expression , To Thick, the new disc is a good bit thicker than old used one , i don't have exact measurement on hand, disc was purchased from vendor in Calgary Alberta who markets Macs parts, i also noticed that the adjustment nuts were back until no thread was showing on screw, with 11/16 adjustment several threads are showing. i have two other plates and original discs and no threads showing on either of those two. i think in the end that the new disc is cheap and mass produced with no attention to detail....just to get job done
Old 03-30-2016, 07:47 PM   #25
MikeK

Your replacement plate may be significantly thicker for a reason, and not necessarily a bad one.

Many plates after the 30's were made with Marcel carriers. Separate from the center hub torsion springs, a Marcel carrier adds a wavy flat spring plate under the friction material on one or both sides of the disc. This eliminates chatter and jerky engagement while providing a broad, gentle friction point feel.

Your old plate may have had only the hub springs and a solid riveted lining, or perhaps a single sided, thinner, or less aggressive Marcel design.

A Marcel carrier (wave spring under the friction material)
makes for a thicker plate.

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:15 PM   #26
hardtimes

Hey MikeK,
Do you happen to have a 'Marcel' type disc which can fit/be used in A/B ? If so, would you please give me a part number
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:43 PM   #27
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey MikeK,
Do you happen to have a 'Marcel' type disc which can fit/be used in A/B ? If so, would you please give me a part number
That's the only style I see sold these days.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:20 PM   #28
MikeK

Hardtimes, I have one with SMM73 on a box marked "Master Clutch". It is a single center Marcel with six center torsion springs captive on both sides. I bought six of them at Hershey several years ago, used five, and have only the one left, slated for a diaphragm PP behind a R2P now on my bench. I do not recall who the vendor was. If I could find discs equal in quality I would buy more. That number cross-ref's to APRA# CD688 but ordering one of those gets you the typical recent vendor trash with center torsion springs caged on one side only.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:46 PM   #29
hardtimes

Hey Mike,
Thanks !
Too bad that that disc is not readily available. It appears to have the right stuff. And your use of it confirms that. I don't think that a lot of guys realize the importance of the 'captured' springs, and the problems that they prevent. That's what caught my attention.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:44 AM   #30
canadian
BANNED

hey rosella, you were the first with the KISS syndrome , Keep It Simple Stupid. and i thank you for that, i think that this forum is a wealth of knowledge , extremely professional but if you make a mistake , with terminology or description of a part or situation be prepared to be hit with insults and crap, i am up for that from both sides but i will be barred from side. TIMES 2, and you know who that is. anyway look on the map folks i am in Newfoundland Canada , drop by