Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-12-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
Admiral

Default Bench Testing Shocks

Is there any way to bench test Houdaille rotary-style shock absorbers? My car came with four units (two fronts and two rears) that look like they've been rebuilt. They all seem to turn freely (but with a lot of resistance) and their bodies have been blasted and clear-coated. Short of sending them out to a professional how can you check 'em?

Thanks!
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #2
Vic Piano

Default Re: Bench Testing Shocks

Contact Bill Wzorek here on the FordBarn, I'm sure he'll Shock you...
Old 06-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
Kurt in NJ

In the model A service bulletin there is a shock testing fixture, it is basically a 2 foot arm with about 15 lb weight ---the movement was timed,(15-1/2 seconds at summer temp, 58 seconds freezing temp for 23 degrees movement) the A shocks and some V8 shocks have a square post the arm fits on that makes it easy to make a long test arm, for the ones with built in arms I had a pipe with set screws to tighten onto the arm (it was crude and ugly, it was when I was playing with the 46 I had, a good shock had easy movement in compression, and strong steady resistance in rebound, if there was "play" ---free movement ---lost motion there is either internal damage or trapped air ---moving through the full range a few times should purge air if the fluid level is good and the shock is working properly, you didn't mention what year or type shocks you have, there are different valves, some are temp compensated, some adjustable ---one with an adjustable valve that is in good shape will almost lock up movement in one direction (rebound) with the adjustment closed off---but sill have much less resistance to movement in the other direction.

There are also articles in the V8 service bulletins about rebuilding and testing shocks but I havn't looked at them lately, and in fordbarn past there was a link to some factory literature about rebuilding, try a search
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
ford38v8

Admiral, With your ingenuity in building stuff, you'll appreciate that you must jerry rig a setup for your bench vise to hold both a left and right shock at the same time. Clamp them in, both arms facing up so you can operate them by hand simultaniously.

There is an adjuster on the end of the shaft, to make them more or less tight. Operate them simultaniously through the full sweep of the arms, determine any difference between the two. Adjust both sets this way, pushing & pulling, you'll get them evenly adjusted this way. Also, there should be no looseness at any position, which would indicate an internal problem to be rebuilt.

Do not overfill with fluid, as they get very hot in operation and need the air space for heat expansion. Fill from the side as they are installed, never from the top as on your bench.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
Terry,OH

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
You want them to turn by hand with a lot of resistance. There should be no free play. If you remove the plug you should find they are filled with fluid to nearly the top of the cavity with the filler plug in the top position. So they have to hold fluid without leaking and have the resistance. I would suggest you NOT change the adjustment if the shock has this feature.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote