Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2018, 09:56 AM   #1
1938 Woody Cape Cod

Default Vibration

I just purchased a restored 31 sedan. Everything done correctly and first class.
It has Float-A Motors. It has an engine vibration sitting in neutral when bringing up the RPM's, with the clutch in or out. Also on deceleration. It seams
fine when driving along at a steady speed 30-45. Any ideas........Bob
1938 Woody Cape Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #2
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll
Default Re: Vibration

Make sure your exhaust pipe is not touching the frame or body.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:51 PM   #3
1938 Woody Cape Cod

Thank you, It's not a rattle, but a vibration. Seems to be from the engine.............Bob
Old 11-18-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
WHN

Has your Float-A-Motor allowed some sag or alining problems in your drive train?
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:54 AM   #5
1938 Woody Cape Cod

FAM seem OK
Old 11-19-2018, 08:08 AM   #6
big job

A proven fact: anything or everything that goes around has a moment more like a
moment of insanity. Clutch in or out no change = that rules out drive line. So I bet
a dollar to donuts its the pressure plate / flywheel I doubt, but could be. My machine shop
has yet to find a new pressure plate from venders way out and I mean way out. My personal car engine all first class new a 59A V8 Findings = Flywheel ah couple grams:
pressure plate almost 90 and that aint going to fly with me. New plate and we had to
weld 90 + or minus grams a stack of washers on it because USA don't make nothing no
more, and those who do across the pond could care less. Hate to say pull the motor A's
are easy and have flywheel and pressure plate balanced.....sam been there on this.
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:50 PM   #7
Jim Brierley

Make sure the F-O-M's bolt is snug, or replace them with stock mounts. I replaced mine and the engine was as smooth as before and had less clutch chatter.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:54 PM   #8
Purdy Swoft

If the bolts on the float-A- motor mounts are TOO tight it can cause vibration .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:42 PM   #9
wensum

If all else fails, try a Harmonic Balancer Pulley. It certainly transformed my motor. These are made in New Zealand "These dampers are made by Murray Horn in Levin N.Z. His Company is Engine Restorations Ltd. His email is [email protected]
Murray says this is the best way to contact him.
The dampers are a straight fit to replace the standard Model A pulley. An added benefit is a shallow reverse scroll in the rope seal area to help contain oil.
"
wensum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:24 PM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1938 Woody Cape Cod View Post
I just purchased a restored 31 sedan. Everything done correctly and first class.

It has Float-A Motors. It has an engine vibration sitting in neutral when bringing up the RPM's, with the clutch in or out. Also on deceleration. It seams fine when driving along at a steady speed 30-45. Any ideas........Bob

Bob, just to poke fun at you, I like your first sentence however the verbiage in the second sentence does not seem to agree with the next paragraph!

While the above ideas all have merit, I tend to think by you saying the vibration is only happening during idle while accelerating/deaccelerating in neutral, my guess is the flywheel has been lightened a tad too much which is showing up from the impulses of each cylinder firing. When you are driving it, items such as transmission cluster, driveshaft, U-joint, wheels, etc. all are mass that adds to the weight of the flywheel which in-turn masks those impulses.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:23 AM   #11
1938 Woody Cape Cod

Brent..The car looks like it was done by a pro about 12 years ago with attention to detail. That's why the vibration doesn't make sense. Very few miles.....Bob
Old 11-20-2018, 07:34 AM   #12
jhowes

Harmonic Balancers are on most modern engines and I thought that they reduce the twisting action on the crankshaft. Does this have anything to do with vibration which seem common in the Model A engine? Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:07 AM   #13
Dave in MN

From my experience: Anytime you change the mass of the rotating assembly, the rpm range where the vibration is felt will change. The Murray Horn dampers do eliminate felt vibration with some engines. I used on on a project last about a year ago with good success.
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:54 PM   #14
ryanheacox

Gonna dig this one up. How much vibration is considered "normal"? My Fordor does tend to vibrate a bit on decel but nothing that seems too bad to me considering how the engine is mounted.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:40 PM   #15
ursus

Quote:
Originally Posted by big job View Post
A proven fact: anything or everything that goes around has a moment more like a
moment of insanity. Clutch in or out no change = that rules out drive line. So I bet
a dollar to donuts its the pressure plate / flywheel I doubt, but could be. My machine shop
has yet to find a new pressure plate from venders way out and I mean way out. My personal car engine all first class new a 59A V8 Findings = Flywheel ah couple grams:
pressure plate almost 90 and that aint going to fly with me. New plate and we had to
weld 90 + or minus grams a stack of washers on it because USA don't make nothing no
more, and those who do across the pond could care less. Hate to say pull the motor A's
are easy and have flywheel and pressure plate balanced.....sam been there on this.
My engine was balanced and everything proceeded well until the flywheel was checked with the pressure plate attached - a huge imbalance! The pressure plate needed considerable correction with weights attached.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:07 PM   #16
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1938 Woody Cape Cod View Post
It has Float-A Motors. It has an engine vibration sitting in neutral when bringing up the RPM's, with the clutch in or out. Also on deceleration. It seams
fine when driving along at a steady speed 30-45. Any ideas........Bob
"Everything" was NOT done correctly and first class or it would not shake.
If it vibrates when idling, it has a first order harmonic. That generally means something is REALLY out of balance in the engine.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:20 PM   #17
Pete

Just as a side note here while balancing is the subject, it is a VERY bad idea to weld weights on a clutch cover to balance it if you value your lower body parts.
The proper way is to drill the spring posts.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:42 PM   #18
figment

Make sure that the fan is balanced and if original check for cracks .
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:56 PM   #19
duke36

Perhaps start with the easy stuff 1st: as mentioned, fan, front motor mount tightness and springs (if original), replace FAM biscuits if 12 years old and side frame rubbers(vendors sell new ones. See posts 2,3,4. Are engine pans attached? Check front alignment of pulley thru the radiator shell and clearance of service brake rod to torque tube, etc.
Also, check the engine in neutral thru the spark rod range and see if vibration persists.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:01 AM   #20
Pete

ALL engine vibrations are caused by MOVING PARTS.
If the engine is not running, there is no vibration. Changing engine mounts, muffler clamps,
brake rods, drive shafts and anything else can and does sometimes minimize or mask the problem by changing the resonant frequency of the vibration, BUT it does not address the root problem. BAD BALANCE JOB.