Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
Mark from Australia

Default 32 k-member question

I'm needing a measurement from a 32 k-member, please.

I need to know how far below the top of the frame rail the gearbox hole in a 32 k-member goes.

I'll fess up ..... I want to fit a later gearbox into a 32 frame, but don't (yet) have a k-member to measure. Before I go out and chase one up, I need to know if the gearbox will fit, without disturbing the lower portion of the k-member, as I want to run an unsplit wishbone. I'm aware I may have to trim/modify the upper portion of the k-member.

Thanks in advance.
Mark from Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
PeteVS

Default Re: 32 k-member question

I recently built a K member for a Model A frame, keeping everything in pretty much the same position as with a '32. The measurement I got from the INSIDE of the top frame flange to the centerline of the drive line is 3-1/2". That what you wanted to know?
Old 11-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
rotorwrench

Most transmissions other than the 3-speed top shifters that were common replacements back in the day, were easy to fit the original rear engine mount that bolted to the K-member. When folks started changing to other types of transmissions and the later types, there usually is no need for the rear engine mount as originally installed. This led to a lot of buchery in the opening of the K-membrs or total removal in favor of fabricated crossmembers or X-members.

The top of the opening is very near the same dimension as the top of the frame rail due to the little kick up in the middle. I doubt if its much more that 1/2" (12.7mm) or so lower. My K-member is Tardel made so it's not original to check accurately.

Kerby

Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-26-2010 at 07:49 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:05 PM   #4
tub1

mark what abt a cross member from a truck it has a bigger hole for the gear box to fit through and a pivot ball mount for you wishbone on another note one of my mates has a 4speed toploader in a stock 32k member
tub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:23 PM   #5
Mark from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tub1 View Post
mark what abt a cross member from a truck it has a bigger hole for the gear box to fit through and a pivot ball mount for you wishbone on another note one of my mates has a 4speed toploader in a stock 32k member
I thought a truck chassis was deeper than a passenger car one, so I never considered that option, thinking the depth of the k-member was greater than 6". Thanks for the heads up.

I have both a Packard transmission and a T5, so i'm trying to find these dimensions so I can choose the trans that has the least disruptive effect on the k-member.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:24 PM   #6
Mark from Australia

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
I recently built a K member for a Model A frame, keeping everything in pretty much the same position as with a '32. The measurement I got from the INSIDE of the top frame flange to the centerline of the drive line is 3-1/2". That what you wanted to know?
The 3 1/2" measurement is also a good one to have. Thanks
Old 11-26-2010, 11:30 PM   #7
tub1

i will check both crossmembers i have both in shed but i think the truck one will work came frome 33 truck but i think same as aa ford truck they have rivited adapters so the fit chassis width i am going to use one in a chassis for a traditional hiboy my coupe has original k member with a 3speed falcon trans
Old 11-26-2010, 11:54 PM   #8
tub1

mark i just compaired the 2 cross members the truck 1 is a very close fit and could be made bolt into a boxed chassis the pivot ball hole is 1inch lower than a passenger car one so what! a little extra castor wont worry u and the centre hole is larger so the trans will fit through do yourself a favour and look at 1. 32 fords should have radius rods not those otherthings 4 bars look shit .in my opinion
Old 11-27-2010, 12:33 AM   #9
Mark from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tub1 View Post
mark i just compaired the 2 cross members the truck 1 is a very close fit and could be made bolt into a boxed chassis the pivot ball hole is 1inch lower than a passenger car one so what! a little extra castor wont worry u and the centre hole is larger so the trans will fit through do yourself a favour and look at 1. 32 fords should have radius rods not those otherthings 4 bars look shit .in my opinion
Again thanks for the advice on the k-member.
I have to agree on the wishbone vs 4-bar saga. Why fix what ain't broke?