Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-16-2016, 05:43 PM   #21
Jim Mason

Default Re: Cabriolet Supplement - Restoration Guidelines and JS

Incorrect information is harder to get rid of than getting right in the first place. ar model a anyone? The next revision will be many years in coming.
The example I gave was a trivial example and was never part of a discussion (that is why it is wrong ) I'm sure the discussions are about less trial matters and are of a practical nature. also note that the reversion was released as soon as possible.

How do you include more data, but do it faster?
Old 06-16-2016, 06:27 PM   #22
d.j. moordigian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eystein View Post

If a new revision contains say 100 items of new information unknown to the common restorer, it is much better to publish now even if two or three of those items may be wrong, as it will get the remaining 97 items of information out to the restorer working on their cars today. The incorrect items may anyway be corrected at the next revision.
Balderdash !
Now,..go find me the second style throttle assembly that's in the 2011 revision!
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:38 PM   #23
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
So, here we go again; my half-yearly regular question :

Any news on what's the progress on the announced Cabriolet supplement to the Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards ?
Quote:
Mike,

I have not been in contact with that particular gentleman, but I have been in contact with another person on the JSC who have told me that all the technical data has been collected a considerable time ago, but that the issue is delayed on discussions on details.

Sounds like you have your answer, there is no new, news.

Build your car in accordance with the standards as they stand and then, "The incorrect items may anyway be corrected at the next revision." and you can fix it then.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:18 PM   #24
updraught

The only way you are going to get a younger generation interested in the JS is to put it on the web and allow comments.

I looked into getting one recently and the postage will be more than it is worth.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:00 AM   #25
updraught

That's right. Unless you can inspire a younger generation they will build hot rods.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:00 AM   #26
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Mike,

I have not been in contact with that particular gentleman, but I have been in contact with another person on the JSC who have told me that all the technical data has been collected a considerable time ago, but that the issue is delayed on discussions on details.

I fear that those detail discussions may serve little purpose. This suspicion is confirmed by the example given in the post above, by Jim Mason, where the use of the word ellipsoid as opposed to ovoid on the topic of taillight lenses is used as a justification for why one needs to use an unduly extended time in review.

To me, this example proves the opposite point, as it is perfectly possible to understand what is meant even though the term ellipsoid may not be 100% formally correct. It anyway took me an extended time of study of the geometrical definitions of ellipsoid and ovoid on Wikipedia to understand the difference between ellipsoid and ovoid.

While discussions are dragging out at the intellectual level of ellipsoid vs. ovoid, new issues of the JS with information that might have been useful to restorers working on their cars today are being delayed.

If a new revision contains say 100 items of new information unknown to the common restorer, it is much better to publish now even if two or three of those items may be wrong, as it will get the remaining 97 items of information out to the restorer working on their cars today. The incorrect items may anyway be corrected at the next revision.
So contact Steve S....and be done with it...see what the MAFCA JSC Chairman has to say about it...see what the MARC Chairman has to say about it... or is there a problem with it? Go right to the source!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:50 PM   #27
eystein

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. moordigian View Post
Balderdash !
Now,..go find me the second style throttle assembly that's in the 2011 revision!
D.J. I'd be interested in hearing WHY you disagree. The words you use do not serve you well.
eystein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:43 PM   #28
figment

It is my understanding that when the new edition of the standards (updated info) comes out the previous standards are good for about one year after for judging purposes. Correct me if I am wrong. Norm
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 05:33 AM   #29
eystein

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
eystein
You may not realize, but there are numerous current and former members of the JSC of MARC and MAFCA who are here on this forum. Many are vocal, a few are lurkers, and a few are only occasional visitors here.

It does not motivate the JSC to be criticized and bashed and second guessed on Ford Barn by people not doing the work to improve the Standards.

These members provide their own time, money, and motivation to gather and share and present the knowledge to the sometimes ungrateful and entitled public.

It is a mostly thankless job, motivated primarily by self satisfaction and personal achievement, not recognition or pay.

"The words you use do not serve you well."
I challenge you to point out whatever I have written that constitutes bashing. If you think that arguing an opinion different from yours constitutes bashing then I urge you to think again.

I have no reason to believe that the people on the JSC are not doing an excellent job. My question is simple : If one has with a good degree of certainty the answer to questions that other people are seeking, why not let it be known?

Why not put a draft on the Marc/Mafca websites. -Stamp it draft and put on a disclaimer saying that it may change and that nothing but the published standards will be recognised in national judging.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:44 AM   #30
Steve Wastler

I am in awe at every revision put in print. My hats off to those who decide to donate everything needed to accomplish such in depth decifering of the shuttle nuisances of the beloved model A for the betterment of the masses. The thousands of combined hours of research astounds me. Information Put together in an update-able publication to be offered at such low cost is amazing. I patiently await each revision, as the task is truly monumental.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:33 AM   #31
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Quote:
Why not put a draft on the Marc/Mafca websites. -Stamp it draft and put on a disclaimer saying that it may change and that nothing but the published standards will be recognised in national judging.
NO you cannot do that at all.. Too many people will hold THAT as the gospel.. It will get done when it gets done.. that is it...
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 01:09 PM   #32
mot

well said Vince
nothing constructive
the JS needs all the help it can get
it pissed me off to buy blueprints,engineering releases and thousands of dollars worth of parts and find out later ,someone else had each of the items i was searching for but wouldnt give it (volunteer it ) to me
big exception was Monte Frost
i wanted the sections i worked on to be useable for the next 20 years or so
no one gave me any money ,i volunteered and spent my own money
let the threats of going hot rod,continue
makes mine worth more
and the gimme generation
put it on the web for free,let some one else pay for it
tom
mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 02:27 PM   #33
jb-ob

OK, This has truly been amusing.

All the answers you can't wait for will be available to you at the MARC National Meet in Toledo, Ohio, June 26 -July 2nd. We currently have three of the finest restored Cabriolets registered in Fine Point Judging and many more out in the parking lot.

Stop with Ford Barn, book your flight now !!

JB-OB
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:21 PM   #34
eystein

Some news : the update will probably be out the second half of this year! Although I'd wanted it earlier that's good news to me.

The most encouraging though is that the message was delivered to me without any accusation of bashing or any words like Balderdash etc. Thats good isn't it ? Anyway, thanks to DJ who tought me the meaning of a new word !!! ;-)
Old 06-18-2016, 09:48 PM   #35
Bruce Adams

Is the Cabriolet section expected to be a new tab or be sprinkled through the JS?

Thank you for your pursuit of this matter.

Updates to the Standards are always welcome.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:51 PM   #36
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Some news : the update will probably be out the second half of this year! Although I'd wanted it earlier that's good news to me.

The most encouraging though is that the message was delivered to me without any accusation of bashing or any words like Balderdash etc. Thats good isn't it ? Anyway, thanks to DJ who tought me the meaning of a new word !!! ;-)
That is good news! Glad to think this thread actually accomplished something good.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:34 AM   #37
eystein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Adams View Post
Is the Cabriolet section expected to be a new tab or be sprinkled through the JS?

Thank you for your pursuit of this matter.

Updates to the Standards are always welcome.
The understanding I got was that there will be a separate section.