Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 07:22 AM   #21
kelley's restoration

Default Re: Young model A Driver.

I did my first engine swap at 10.... driving was a breeze
my dad was on the running board and it was in the yard. I didn't drive on the roads until I got my permit, but I always did the maiden voyages in all the restoration projects
I also drank from the hose instead of going to the kitchen for water. didn't wear a helmet. had a bb gun. had a go kart.....
different times
my son has been on a power wheel a tractor and a model a already and he is 6
tk
Old 01-20-2015, 07:23 AM   #22
ronn

"Can nothing make old guys happy?"

Board sometimes reminds me of the movie Grumpy Old Men with Mathau and Lemon......

get your crankster on!
Old 01-20-2015, 07:33 AM   #23
MrBruce

I will chime in on this one also. I was shocked when he put the spark lever all the way down as well as the throttle? Couldn't figure that out and the shifting both up and down you could tell he wasn't double clutching which his tranny won't last long. I love to see young people interested and driving the Model A's, but he would be awful tough on the car and I would certainly be in the front seat beside him. It certainly wasn't his first time driving this A. Just my 2 cents
Old 01-20-2015, 10:39 AM   #24
TomW

Great video! Reminds me of the first time Dad let me drive the truck. I was 11, and I don't think I got out of first gear - but couldn't wait to try it again!
Old 01-20-2015, 11:55 AM   #25
james hitchcock

I liked that the dad didn't chew on his son's driving skills. Let the kid have fun and get the feel for the car. He can have his talk about some things to improve after the grin wears off his face. I didn't do that good when I was learning and my dad was very calm about the ride. Made me want to keep trying instead of being scared.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:01 PM   #26
Big John

I say Quit cutting the father and son down.....He is learning and a fine job.. How did you do when you learned to drive?? .Big John....
Old 01-20-2015, 12:08 PM   #27
edmondclinton
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by clo2jim View Post
Noticed how he started the car - full spark advance and throttle level down fully

Also noticed how he shut off the engine after he had moved the throttle level down full and the motor was overreving.

Not very good for the starter and the motor.

Looked like to me the spark was fully retarded.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:39 PM   #28
Desi

Congratulations to that young man. I know I felt the joy just watching the video, the kid must have been ten times more excited. Wish I could have had that opportunity at his age!
Old 01-20-2015, 01:12 PM   #29
silversink

I agree 100%. We need to teach these kids responsibility and confidence and too appreciate the hobby. The look on this kids face, it will be a week before that smile goes away. Good on you.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:55 PM   #30
edmondclinton
BANNED

Yup, that kid was eatin' it up. Experiences like that are what will keep this hobby going.

I would have felt better with dad in the front seat but the kid appears to have driven before and Dad was convinced he could handle it. Many of today's adult Model A drivers scratch the gears harder than the kid did. As they used to say years ago, "If you can't find 'em, grind 'em ..."
Old 01-20-2015, 02:41 PM   #31
Gold Digger

I liked it. I thought the kid done pretty well, with a little more driving he will be a good Model A driver. I started driving a tractor and hay truck when I was 7 on the farm. When I was 9 my dad was in the hospital all summer and I made 22 acres of corn all by myself. When I was 11 I bought my first car, a 25 "T" that I still have. I taught my son in about the same way. My grandson was a little different, I didn't think he was ever going to take interest in driving. I bought him an old jeep to drive and work on and was the best money I've ever spent. He's learned to fix anything on it and has repaid me all I spent buying it. I feel blessed.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #32
TonyM

Good for that kid to have the opportunity to learn. My strict and paranoid mother would not even let us use the gas powered lawn mower when we were 12 years old. A terrible way to grow up.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:50 PM   #33
29Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
here are my thoughts::::
they are lucky that he didnt drive into a tree or through the house... the adult is in the back seat unable to grab the steering wheel, e-brake or in any position to take control of the vehicle in the event of an emergency. its easy to tell the whole situation was not in control. my favorite part was when he floored it to shut it off....
cool dad is no rocket man for sure.....NUTS
Just because he's 12 doesn't mean he can't drive. My niece's son is 12. He drives a dragster at Epping NH. And he's pretty dammed good at it!

That's about how old I was when I began driving dad's cut down '31 Chev doodlebug. How old were you?
Old 01-20-2015, 04:19 PM   #34
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmondclinton View Post
Looked like to me the spark was fully retarded.
That's what I thought. At one point, the father tells the boy to pull the lever down. That means it MUST have been retarded. Throttle was up also.

The boy will learn quickly how to do quiet changes. The first time he changed down, he tried for 1st gear but had a good enough "feel" for the car that he stopped when he heard the gears grinding. I think just a few miles will see him driving like a pro. Besides, people like this are the future of our movement.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:33 PM   #35
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29Cabriolet View Post
Just because he's 12 doesn't mean he can't drive. My niece's son is 12. He drives a dragster at Epping NH. And he's pretty dammed good at it!

That's about how old I was when I began driving dad's cut down '31 Chev doodlebug. How old were you?
did i say anything about the kid being a poor driver, should not be driving, ETC<ETC<ETC<ETC.... reread my post because MORE than ""3/4"" of ya's got it wrong.... all i said was the dad should have been in more control by being in the front seat, not in the back videotaping. thats fine if you dont agree with that we all have opinions.. the kid actually did a great job IMO.
i am not a grumpy old man because i am not old
at 12 years old i was driving also

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 01-20-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Closed Thread