Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2022, 07:58 PM   #1
hogluvr

Default Does this sound like a good flathead build?

I am very new to flatheads and considering this rebuilt 8BA.
Does this sound like the guy knows what he's doing?

"
Bored +.040 with aluminum domed pistons, New rings, main/rod/cam bearings, Chevy stainless steel 1.5” valves, Converted & setup Chevy distributor, Packard plug wires
Litterio L-100 camshaft, Johnson adjustable lifters, New valve guides, Offenhouser #400 aluminum finned heads, Offenhouser aluminum dual carb intake
Holley 94 carbs, PCV system installed, Fenton cast iron headers, New modern water pumps, New Carter fuel pump[FONT=New], Reground flywheel (10” clutch) "
hogluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 08:02 PM   #2
KiWinUS

Default Re: Does this sound like a good flathead build?

Sounds encouraging
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 08:05 PM   #3
Pete

Assuming it was assembled properly, the only problem I see is that cam is way too much for a street engine of that size.
Pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 01:42 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

You might want to do a search in the archives on the guys name, here and HAMB. Then you could also post his name and ask for comments.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 05:15 PM   #5
mfirth

I'd want to know how much $$$ too.
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 06:22 PM   #6
hogluvr

Nevermind, not gonna happen after all.
Old 02-05-2022, 07:14 PM   #7
Charlie ny
BANNED

Don't do it....unless the motor is in a car you can drive....check oil press ,tendency to over heat perform a compression check. New to flatheads ? Buy a turn key vintage Ford
with a stock motor and learn from doing.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:25 PM   #8
leon bee

I didn't want to say anything, but I'm like Charlie. Stock, man, or stockish. Something you can get running right without a lot of highly paid help.
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:16 PM   #9
GB SISSON

In the showroom customers heard and tested them bone stock. Bonnie and Clyde stole them and robbed banks with them, bone stock (well, except for the key). Since I am the furthest thing from a hotrodder you will ever see here, I have no idea why a 'lumpy' rough idle is considered cool. I spose it harkens back to the two-tone shoes, bobby socks and poodle skirts. I guess there was a time when that was cool too. I prefer my fords with ford parts in them. Dang they idle nice.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:51 PM   #10
GoCatGo

OK.....let's put an end to this 2nd guessing bullshit. I am the builder of the engine in question. I have 60 years of engine building. Tony ground the L-100 for me. I have 3 flatties with L-100s. I love the sound, and that is MY preference. Don't force yours on me. I told the original poster he could come to the shop and see it run on the run stand. I gave him my phone number. He has not called. I offered the new running engine to him for $4,500. I have retracted that offer. I don't know why he would question this forum instead of me about my engine.
GoCatGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 11:33 PM   #11
hogluvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCatGo View Post
OK.....let's put an end to this 2nd guessing bullshit. I am the builder of the engine in question. I have 60 years of engine building. Tony ground the L-100 for me. I have 3 flatties with L-100s. I love the sound, and that is MY preference. Don't force yours on me. I told the original poster he could come to the shop and see it run on the run stand. I gave him my phone number. He has not called. I offered the new running engine to him for $4,500. I have retracted that offer. I don't know why he would question this forum instead of me about my engine.
Probably because, like I told you after you flamed me for questioning your "reputation " in the email you sent me, I don't know you or anything about you anymore than I know anything about flatheads, I'm admittingly ignorant about these things and eager to learn. I genuinely appreciated your offer and it looked like a very nice build from what little I have seen, but as I told you in my email I was just trying to find out if you were a reputable builder. After the email you sent me today I immediately camebhere and said this whole thing wasn't going to happen. I never mentioned your name, where you were from, hell even where I am from, I was intentionally vague so I wasn't drawing attention to anyone in particular, just looking for opinions because like I said earlier, I know next to nothing about these things and while I told you and will tell anybody else that while I thought what you were asking was a very fair price, it is still a relatively large amount of money to me. I was just trying to do my due diligence. After saying all this and after having apologized to you about unintentionally hurting your feelings I will say that even if you hadn't called this deal off I certainly would have after this mess. So much for telling me not to call you out even though I never had any intention to do so, you ended up doing that and bringing attention to yourself anyway. I was already on the thought process that I wouldn't feel right not doing the work myself as I have always taken pride in trying new things and I'm sure the end result won't be half as nice as anything you've done but I'm willing to give it a shot anyway, and hopefully all the people on here that have tolerated all my dumb questions for being inexperienced with flatheads won't just walk away when I ask more stupid questions after having dealt with all this drama. I'm sorry I don't know if it's because I've become old and cranky in my old age or what, but I'm pretty much done with people getting all butthurt about any and every little thing these days. And that's all I'll say on this subject.

Mods, please do us all a huge favor and delete this thread. And if I've been inappropriate or broken any rules feel free to ban me as well, I'll admit I will be disappointed as I feel this is a great forum with lots of knowledgeable people and good information but I totally understand. I'm going to go crack a beer now and go to bed and quit dealing with this bullshit for the night...
Old 02-06-2022, 09:02 AM   #12
GoCatGo

Hogluvr, relax, there is much great info to be had on here. 'Nuff said. Let's "hug it out" & get back to our beloved flatheads!
Old 02-06-2022, 10:29 AM   #13
tubman

I have to say it : The name "Go Cat Speed Shop" comes to mind.

I hope there's no connection, but it's an unfortunate choice for a forum name.

Last edited by tubman; 02-06-2022 at 10:37 AM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:39 AM   #14
hogluvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCatGo View Post
Hogluvr, relax, there is much great info to be had on here. 'Nuff said. Let's "hug it out" & get back to our beloved flatheads!
It's all good, glad to put any drama behind us. I hate drama, just sayin'
Old 02-06-2022, 11:30 AM   #15
1952henry

7rt
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I have to say it : The name "Go Cat Speed Shop" comes to mind.

I hope there's no connection, but it's an unfortunate choice for a forum name.
A quick check shows go cat speed shop is/was in Denver area. Gocatgo's profile says Ohio.
Old 02-06-2022, 03:25 PM   #16
GoCatGo

NO, NO NO! NOT Go cat speed shop! LOL
Old 02-06-2022, 04:34 PM   #17
Charlie ny
BANNED

Color me impressed, both sides. Let the test stand do the motors talking and bring
your compression gauge...GCG, call me if he passes on it.
Charlie ny
716 440 8952
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 05:04 PM   #18
Ggmac

Good deal ,
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 05:15 PM   #19
FHFD

hogluvr very well stated.
Doing your "due diligence" is/always will be the smart thing to do, especially in this day and age.
Good luck with your Flathead pursuit.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:43 PM   #20
Tim Ayers

I don't know either party here and I'm just jumping in that a quality rebuilt motor done right for $4,500 is a steal anyway you slice it.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote