Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2020, 01:31 AM   #1
Richard in Anaheim CA

Default 30 Tudor Upholstery Kit

I bought a complete LeBaron Bonny Mohair kit some time ago for a 30 Tudor.
I know, they never came with Mohair but that is what the person who ordered it wanted and he has since passed on. It is complete with door panels, head liner and top material and what appears to be the correct light brown,beige color. I couldn't pass it up.

The plot thickens. I have a 28 Tudor which is in need of new upholstery in which I am hoping I can use the kit.

Can someone tell me if this will work either as is or with very slight modifications? I haven't unpacked anything yet, just took a few quick peeks.
I know 28 Tudors never came with Mohair either.

Richard
Anaheim CA
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:10 AM   #2
Bob Bidonde

Default Re: 30 Tudor Upholstery Kit

The question is, will the side panels, rear panel and door panels fit? The headliner and front header panel .should fit.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:15 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Hey Richard, the short answer is it is possible to do with some alterations.

Since getting into the upholstery biz, what I have discovered was that LeBaron Bonney's kits were very inaccurate when compared to original panels or prints. The 55A & 55B cowl kick panel cardboard was different originally, so this would be one area. The A-56512 Door Panel cardboards are different between the 55B and the 55A, but again you may be able to modify. The A-55664 Header Cardboard is different between the two. I could go on with the upper trim back panels, roof rail trim, et/al, but my point is the differences between original panels were slight, and after seeing how incorrect L/B panels were made, it is indeed likely that you can make it work. The same applies for seats. Good luck and best wishes.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:28 PM   #4
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
The question is, will the side panels, rear panel and door panels fit? The headliner and front header panel .should fit.

I installed a new Le Baron interior kit that was made for a 1928 tudor in our 1931 tudor . I had to narrow the front header . I carefully peeled back the upholstery and cut down the cardboard header . I used 3M adhesive in a spray can to reattach the upholstery to the front header . The headliner fit without modification . The holes for the upholstery clips in the 1928 door panels were not in the same places that the holes in the original 1931 panels were . Though not exactly original , I used plated trim screws and washers to attach the door panels . So far after a few years , nobody has noticed the difference . There is very little difference in the inside measurements of the 1928-29 tudor doors as compaired to the 1930-31 doors but not enough to make a difference to me . The only visible difference in the finished product is a very few additional trim screws on the door panels . I replaced the kick panels with a correct pair of 1931 style kick panels that I ordered separately .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 01:53 PM   #5
Richard in Anaheim CA

Thanks guys. I can always depend on helpful information from my Fordbarn friends.

Maybe it's time for me to unpack and layout everything out. Any volunteers for installation?

Richard
Anaheim CA
Old 12-03-2020, 08:38 AM   #6
tudor87

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Do you still have the 30 Tudor upholstery kit or did you use it on the 28 Tudor? If you still have it would you consider selling it. Thank you, Gary
tudor87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:52 PM   #7
jimalabam

Richard: Glad to see you are still kicking at our 83, and working on the Tudor. After your work, let's do a shot of that good ole Scotch. Jim Langley...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:53 PM   #8
Richard in Anaheim CA

Talking Re: 30 Tudor Upholstery Kit

What a pleasant surprise. Yes lets share a scotch. Maybe some of the other guys on here would like to join us.

Send me a round trip ticket

Richard
Old 12-09-2020, 04:01 AM   #9
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Hey Richard, the short answer is it is possible to do with some alterations.

Since getting into the upholstery biz, what I have discovered was that LeBaron Bonney's kits were very inaccurate when compared to original panels or prints. The 55A & 55B cowl kick panel cardboard was different originally, so this would be one area. The A-56512 Door Panel cardboards are different between the 55B and the 55A, but again you may be able to modify. The A-55664 Header Cardboard is different between the two. I could go on with the upper trim back panels, roof rail trim, et/al, but my point is the differences between original panels were slight, and after seeing how incorrect L/B panels were made, it is indeed likely that you can make it work. The same applies for seats. Good luck and best wishes.
I purchased a complete Le Baron Bonney kit with the exception of the side curtains, for my first A. The hood sides were too short and an excellent upholsterer said it was easier to make a complete hood. I had him do just that. In addition a seat had a hole in it. that remains. It was a disappointment of course.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0775.jpg (75.0 KB, 8 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 08:33 AM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
I purchased a complete Le Baron Bonney kit with the exception of the side curtains, for my first A. The hood sides were too short and an excellent upholsterer said it was easier to make a complete hood. I had him do just that. In addition a seat had a hole in it. that remains. It was a disappointment of course.
It is indeed unfortunate because at one point, that company was the premier place to buy an upholstery kit for a Model-A. Two things come into play, -not only for that company but others similarly. Most small hobby-oriented businesses do well in their early years and their owner just keeps investing his profits into his company instead of a retirement. When retirement age happens, the purchase price of the company changes where profits often overtake the passion the former owner had. In the case of LeBaron Bonney, this is what appeared to happen when Paul purchased it. I was then told by an insider that when it was then sold to the investors, the ROI was not there due to several things, -one being accounting. Ironically, we have several other businesses in the hobby that are facing similar situations as either the company has grown until no one can afford to purchase it, or the profits don't match for a decent ROI. In those cases, the doors of the business just close and the machinery is sold for whatever they can get.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 03:27 PM   #11
woofa.express

Yes Mr Terry. I would agree with the syndrome you describe. Cheers, gary

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote