Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-03-2020, 02:58 PM   #1
AnthonyG

Default Engine install

While I’ve had the Engine (8BA) in my ‘35 in & out several times meshing the tranny spline w the clutch plate is really fighting me this time! I did notice when installing the Clutch / pressure plate the Dummy plastic line up spline tool seemed a bit tight no matter how I jiggled it while torquing the pressure plate. Seemed like maybe the new clutch plate had a bit tighter internal spline. Regardless out of the car I was able w a little finesse push it in & out. I’ve been shaking rattling & rolling the engine, jacked tranny up / down had engine lifted a bit dropped a bit w no luck. I am considering pulling the tranny mating it outside the car & putting back mated already! Hate to break down the tranny to drive shaft yoke but think I’m there? Any advice on something I’m missing! Thought I’d check before pulling tranny out!
Old 12-03-2020, 03:30 PM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Engine install

Did you try the disc on trans splines, see that it fits and check for excessive runout.
Sometimes I take a small file and file the sharp edges off the splines on the disc so it is easier to get engaged
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:27 PM   #3
Kerk

I use an original front transmission Spline piece to check and align the clutch Disc to be sure it is aligned up and slides in and out once the pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel. kerk
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:56 PM   #4
cadillac512

If you have the trans in gear and rear wheels blocked so they can't turn, and are turning the crankshaft while pushing the engine back against the input shaft...that's about all you can do as long as everything is level and plumb. Hope you don't have to pull the trans....no fun.

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:18 PM   #5
AnthonyG

Hi Terry, Checked dimension between bell & tranny face & 1 3/8” both sides top & bottom so think aligned pretty good! I tried both chocked wheels in gear & Free in neutral! Can’t think of a last ditch effort so, even though a PIA I agree as I’ve done a couple times I’ll pull the tranny! At that point I’ll probly b agrivated enough to get the open drive shaft kit & eliminate the torque tube & enclosed tranny yoke as I hate that setup anyway!
Quote:
he trans in gear and rear wheels blocked so they can't turn, and are turning the crankshaft while pushing the engine back against the input shaft...that's about all you can do as long as everything is level and plumb.

Last edited by AnthonyG; 12-04-2020 at 12:25 PM.
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:53 PM   #6
bobH

In addition to the suggestions above, I would add 'alignment' pins. They help me. Simply a couple of bolts, heads cut off, and screwdriver slots hacksawed into the ends.
I'm definitely a fan of what Kerk posted above in #3. Those plastic thingys never worked worth a shit for me.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:47 PM   #7
AnthonyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
In addition to the suggestions above, I would add 'alignment' pins. They help me. Simply a couple of bolts, heads cut off, and screwdriver slots hacksawed into the ends.
I'm definitely a fan of what Kerk posted above in #3. Those plastic thingys never worked worth a shit for me.
Hi Bob, how many alignment pins, I tried two high & 2 midship always seemed to have drag on at least 1. Friction issue? Did u grease the pins?
Old 12-04-2020, 08:48 PM   #8
AnthonyG

As far as using a real steel spline, sounds good! Anyone got one?
Old 12-04-2020, 09:40 PM   #9
Jack E/NJ

Maybe VanPelt has a busted mainshaft for you. Ebay has some listed for about $40 but they're still good ones. I've got one but you can't have it. 8^) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:59 PM   #10
Newc

Hi; I sell bad input shafts for $5 at Swaps. Shipping tho is about $15. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:36 AM   #11
AnthonyG

Might take u up on it Newc. Im gonna try to grease the alignment pins I made to try to mitigate friction. If that doesn't work will be pulling motor out of engine bay & doing several of suggested including getting a spline from u.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:40 AM   #12
Steve in Denver

I also have an 8ba in a '36. Just in case I ever need to pull it, what clutch plate and disc did you use? One for an 8BA or for a '36?

Also, how are you cooling it? I had to put an electric fan in front of the radiator.
Steve in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 02:27 PM   #13
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
Might take u up on it Newc. Im gonna try to grease the alignment pins I made to try to mitigate friction. If that doesn't work will be pulling motor out of engine bay & doing several of suggested including getting a spline from u.
Anthony,

I'm sure I have one that I could ship to you as well. Let me know if you don't source one.

Tim
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 02:41 PM   #14
AnthonyG

Steve, bought my 8BA turn key. Bell Clutch pressure plate & Fly wheel included. Mine is a 10” setup for the 8ba. I also bought a ‘39 3 speed as up grade as they shift a bit better than the ‘35. Hope it helps!
Old 12-05-2020, 02:42 PM   #15
AnthonyG

Thx Tim!
Old 12-05-2020, 02:49 PM   #16
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kennedy View Post
I also have an 8ba in a '36. Just in case I ever need to pull it, what clutch plate and disc did you use? One for an 8BA or for a '36?

Also, how are you cooling it? I had to put an electric fan in front of the radiator.
Steve.....Check out this link about a mechanical fan we designed and built for an 8BA in a '35 or '36. DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...08#post1869208

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:39 AM   #17
AnthonyG

Sorry Terry, missed the part on cooling. Looks like DD’s solution is a good one w stock config. 8BA. I set the front of my 8BA up like the original ‘35 engine using a crab type dist & it won’t work on mine. I went a small mechanical 4 blade fan mounted to alternator from the smaller 60 HP V8 but didn’t quite do it so added a Spal thermostat control push electric in front of radiator & behind the grill. Kicks on on warm days at lights or in stop & go traffic. Hardly noticeable cosmetically between grill & Radiator.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:05 AM   #18
Pete pa

Anthony, where are you in PA. I have a main drive gear you can use to set up your clutch. I live in the north hill of Pgh. Let me know.
Pete pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:13 PM   #19
AnthonyG

Hi Pete, thx 4 the offer but we’re pretty far apart. I’m in the Poconos near Stroudsburg just over the Delaware Water Gap. Appreciated & Best to u during the Holiday’s!
Old 03-11-2021, 02:42 PM   #20
AnthonyG

Forgive the time dwell but even though the Doc’s who did my neck surgery say it’s ok I found some moves while trying to get engine installed flared symptoms up. So chilled fo a while. I’m back at it & feeling better after working on stuff. So in a diff thread I installed the return line for a oil filtration system before attempting engine install & while engine was above engine compartment I rechecked the clutch plate spline alignment w an actual tranny spline shaft. It fit fine, pretty much exactly like the plastic dummy spline. Easy in & out with a small amount of play up-down-side to side. Put alignment pins in 4 places on the bell to tranny holes, Slid engine in compartment but still won’t mesh? Done pretty much all suggestions. I’m thinking maybe I’m too scary about jacking tranny up to much as the angle I’m trying to slide I only gives me maybe a 1/4 clearance between oil pan & motormount cross member? Should I loosen the tranny mount & Jack it higher? The engine is 1”plus high & needs to move another 1”plus back to mesh spline. Driving me nuts as I’ve done this successfully several times in the past w/o this much aggravation
Sorry for pic size, I’m a FB pic sending 101 failure
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 95695FAE-BE8E-4DD9-9F64-A945D1C58D28.jpg (50.3 KB, 124 views)

Last edited by AnthonyG; 03-11-2021 at 03:13 PM.
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote