Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-01-2020, 08:47 AM   #1
Marcus

Default Another "greatest generation" passes

On Sunday, 30 Sep, my 97 year old Uncle passed into the Loving Arms of his Savior. He was sleeping, no pain, just slipped away. Uncle John flew the "Hump" in WWII, as a Navigator and Radio Operator. The missions were extremely dangerous, as the DC3 of the day lacked performance capability to fly over the Himalayas, so they simply flew through the valleys and around the mountains. Beautiful and easy when the weather cooperated, incredibly dangerous when inclement. Like most of the Greatest Generation, Uncle John did his duty, returned home, rarely spoke of the War, and did his best to help build the USA as a land surveyor and timber purchaser for International Paper. Uncle John was a fountain of information on flatheads and A Models, but had a soft spot for MOPARs as well. Parked in my garage is his all-original (still with the Delivery Sticker on the left rear window and rubber bands on the rear seat belts!), 1979 Chrysler New Yorker, Fifth Avenue, Limited Edition, with 11,xxx actual miles. I can't walk into my garages without seeing his smiling face, and hearing him say, "better check the oil in that flattie, son, those things like a drink now and again!"
Praise God for my Uncle and people like him!
Y'all be safe, and love your family......