Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-14-2021, 09:35 AM   #1
russcc

Default USPS damage in shipping

Shipped an EV8 part via USPS "retail ground", and when it got to it's destination it was broken even thought it was packed and protected carefully. It was not shipped "priority", so it was not insured. Has anyone filed a claim for damage with the post office in a similar situation, and what was the process & outcome. Thank you.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:41 AM   #2
nickthebandit

Default Re: USPS damage in shipping

If the part had value, why didn't you insure it ?
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:50 AM   #3
51504bat

I shipped a set of water pumps USPS medium flat rate box and the box was pierced by something during shipping. One of the pulleys was bent. I filed a claim and had to submit proof of the value of the pumps along with photos of the damage. A bit hard to do but I found a listing on the net for a pair and submitted a copy of the listing. Took a while. Flat rate boxes come with $50.00 insurance included which is the amount I received for my claim. That said, without you opting for insurance when you mailed the package my guess is that you are screwed. JMO.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:58 AM   #4
19Fordy

It happened to me also. You must insure anything of value. Take photos of the part before shipping and when you put it in the shipping box with cushioning, after you seal the box and a close up shot of the mailing sticker. Also document part replacement cost. Then follow the exact directions when filing a claim. It's a pain to do all this but, necessary.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:19 AM   #5
skidmarks

When In doubt......use ups. The flatrate boxs are convenient with no guessing on price but any issue that might arrive.....especially now with the post office....your out of luck.

I sent a 2 day Priority small flatrate box about 45 miles. TOOK 17 DAYS and i delivered it to the post office and it didnt upload and start moving in the system for 12 days. And the dumb look i was given for asking.......great service.

Any claims in the past with UPS and fedex have gone smooth. But if you have a large amount of claims or really high values they will scrutinize it.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:49 AM   #6
34pickup

As a retired postal worker all I can say is good luck. The Post Office is notorious about putting you off forever hoping you will give up. The resolution should start with the sender at the sending location. But with no insurance ? Like I say, good luck.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 11:11 AM   #7
34fordy

When I received an electric motor with a 6 groove pulley that was damaged in shipment I was surprised to learn that it was my responsibility to file the claim. The seller was free from all the hassles. The USPS ended up paying me for the price I paid but not for the shipping cost. If the loss is less than $50.00 it is not worth the effort. I also bought a column drop from a member out east that he packaged in an envelope. All I ever received was an empty envelope with a hole in the end. I feel that I am responsible to package securely when I sell something and to purchase enough insurance to cover loss or damage. With the millions of packages shipped daily and traffic accidents, "ship" happens!
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:07 PM   #8
skidmarks

Wonder were all the packages ended up in that nasty ice storm accident in Texas last week. Looked like a FedEx truck on top of the pile. Does the cargo get impounded?
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:12 PM   #9
34pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34fordy View Post
When I received an electric motor with a 6 groove pulley that was damaged in shipment I was surprised to learn that it was my responsibility to file the claim. The seller was free from all the hassles.
Procedures may have changed since I retired years ago.
I once sold a 427 intake to a guy, sent via UPS. They broke it in half and the receiver of the damaged package initiated a claim (insured) and got paid for it.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 01:54 PM   #10
Krylon32

Several years ago at the LARS a at the swap meet I bought several sets of 37-40 spindles which I brought home, cleaned and re bushed and sold on the HAMB. I successfully shipped several pairs USPS Priority. 4 sets went right thru but when the 5th set arrived at their destination in Florida all my customer received was an empty box. Can you say refund. No response from USPS when I filed a claim.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 03:23 PM   #11
hotrodart

I would not ship anything with USPS....not even dog doo-doo. I got zero mail delivered for a month.......took 40 days for a letter that was sent 150 miles away.....the local postmaster just shrugged.....couldn't care less. That out fit needs to be totally disbanded.....let a completely private outfit run it.
hotrodart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:09 PM   #12
fortyfords

That's why I don't use postal money orders, they don't have any money until the end of the day to get paid and that's if it isn't too much money.
fortyfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:12 PM   #13
nickthebandit

I usually ship by USPS priority mail. I have had many customers thank me for my good packing, of which i am proud. When ever I ship something, I want my customer to be happy with the product, as well as my effort to protect the product while in transit.
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:51 PM   #14
paul2748

I don't sell that much parts, but have always used USPS / Usually ask for USPS money orders. Haven't had any problems, no purchasers have ever complained about missing or broken parts. Last item I sold was some parts on 1/29, USPS. Arrived at buyer two days later (NJ to Michigan). Never had the local post office give me a problem with the money orders
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:20 PM   #15
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34pickup View Post
As a retired postal worker all I can say is good luck. The Post Office is notorious about putting you off forever hoping you will give up. The resolution should start with the sender at the sending location. But with no insurance ? Like I say, good luck.
I thought there was $50 insurance automatically, but maybe that's only with priority mail ? I know when I ship USPS priority, they tell me it has $50 insurance automatically.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:18 PM   #16
mobil101

I'll never ship by USPS again. I shipped a perfect 32 3w dash and all
the garnish moulding back east by UPS to be wood grained in December
2019 It was woodgrained and sent back to me via USPS. I have still not
received it. The postal service has no idea where it went or where it is. It was insured and sent priority express. When I finally found a replacement I
drove the 600 miles twice to the woodgrainer's. I find it hard to believe you could lose a wooden crate so big.
mobil101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:26 PM   #17
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
I don't sell that much parts, but have always used USPS / Usually ask for USPS money orders. Haven't had any problems, no purchasers have ever complained about missing or broken parts. Last item I sold was some parts on 1/29, USPS. Arrived at buyer two days later (NJ to Michigan). Never had the local post office give me a problem with the money orders
Same here. In my neck of the woods, USPS provides great service. My local UPS driver is a total ass*ole. Smokes cigars all day and every package reeks. Barely gets out of the truck to delivery anything.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:20 AM   #18
flatmotor40

UPS and Fedex leaves my package at my gate not on my porch.Had a LB complete interior shipped to me with the converible top also and they left it outside my gate.Lucky I was home $8000 worth of leather for the convertible outside the gate and if it rained it was my fault.It was in about 5-6 boxes.It was a few year ago but it still happen all the time
flatmotor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:32 AM   #19
sunshine

As I posted before I worked for the PO. For 36 years been retired for 25 , what A mess it is now . I will not send anything thru the PO. They can’t even get Christmas cards delivered for 2 months . Most of the Postal workers hate their jobs , and it shows in the service we receive. And they cannot be fired for poor performance .
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:30 AM   #20
Planojc

No more USPS for me. I started using UPS and it's faster, cheaper and no waiting in line.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote