Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2018, 01:00 PM   #1
ricklove

Default I Have a Lift!!

Prior to building my 26' deep x 30' wide x 12' ceiling shop last spring, I knew I would eventually want a lift. Did a bunch of research; fast forward to a month ago; I called around for prices on a 2 post asymmetrical lift. NAPA had some on sale thru the end of September, so it was perfect timing. I talked to my local "go to" mechanic and asked him who services his lifts. Called that guy and he had retired; but referred me to the new owners. Got a price from him and hung up. I immediately thought about the possibility of a used one and called him back. Fast forward to last week; I bought a fully functional used Rotary SP10 from him for $2,200 cash (installed with 1 free service call during 1st 6 months of ownership). Electrician charged me $300 to hook up to 220. I am now fat (not so much), dumb (not so much), and happy (very much) and have already used it twice! (Not able to upload pics ??)
ricklove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:25 PM   #2
Seth Swoboda

Default Re: I Have a Lift!!

Two post lifts are really handy. My dad and I bought a used Challenger lift about 8 years ago and it has served us well.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:48 PM   #3
leon bee

Same here, got a good deal on an excellent used heavy duty lift. I kept thinking, man, these posts are really gonna be in the way in our crowded shop. We dis- erected the thing, hauled it home......"jeeze this thing is gonna be in the way!

Used it one time, no, it isn't in the way at all. I don't even see those great big posts anymore as I am walking around them and tripping on the arms. Mostly what I thought about was all the hours, weeks I've spent on the concrete floor until now.
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:04 PM   #4
RKS.PA

Those of us with lifts are truly blessed!!! (Particularly old guys like me!!!) Actually it means I'm able to do things on my Fords that would otherwise now be impossible if I had to do them on the floor like I used to!!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:13 PM   #5
TagMan

Congratulations ! I hope you'll be as happy with yours, as I am with mine.

I bought a BackYard Buddy 4-post lift 27-years ago and have been blessed to use it on average about once a week for all that time, without any repairs at all. Best shop tool I've ever bought.
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:49 PM   #6
1937sedandelivery

No way could I work on my cars without a lift (aka spoiled). Once you have one, you will swear by it.
I bought a new Atlas 9000lb 2 post lift several years ago from Greg Smith Equipment for ~$1500. They now list for $1700 plus shipping. I did all the install, it wasn't too bad. Good luck. You will kick yourself for not getting one...
see attached pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1361.jpg (49.5 KB, 126 views)
1937sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #7
marko39

i too have a lift but mine is a in ground single post made by the Globe Hoist Co. this came out of a service station and is a 10,000 lb. lift made in 1963. served me well for last 25 years and i have even pulled engines with it. was a pain in the ass to dig a hole 8 feet deep for it. it cost me 500.00 plus one day to rent jackhammer to bust through solid rock. what you can do when youre young. Mark
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:00 PM   #8
mhsprecher

"what you can do when you're young."

Ain't that the truth.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:24 AM   #9
big job

This one I believe is rated 15,000 lbs. Only took a day to install.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New lift.jpg (36.9 KB, 47 views)
big job is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:48 AM   #10
Pat/Ohio

Good for you Rick! I have a Backyard Buddy. Have had it for over 15 years. Best tool in the garage! Have fun! Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:08 AM   #11
Frank Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon bee View Post
Same here, got a good deal on an excellent used heavy duty lift. I kept thinking, man, these posts are really gonna be in the way in our crowded shop. We dis- erected the thing, hauled it home......"jeeze this thing is gonna be in the way!

Used it one time, no, it isn't in the way at all. I don't even see those great big posts anymore as I am walking around them and tripping on the arms. Mostly what I thought about was all the hours, weeks I've spent on the concrete floor until now.
If you're tripping on the arms then leave it up when not in use.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:50 AM   #12
shoe box Jack

WHAT one would be the better the two or the four post?? as we are in the market to buy one. Thanks for any info. Jack.
shoe box Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:42 AM   #13
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe box Jack View Post
WHAT one would be the better the two or the four post?? as we are in the market to buy one. Thanks for any info. Jack.
The "H.A.M.B." has a companion site called "The Garage Journal" that addresses things like this. You will find more information over there than you will ever get here.

One thing I can tell you is that that main factor in my decision was the garage floor. Since I have my shop in a converted storage unit, the floor was not thick enough for a two-post lift without additional floor work. I went with a four-post because the floor was adequate as is. Also, If you are going to use the lift mostly for storage, a four-post is probably more suitable. Consider a two-post if the primary use is going to be working on vehicles.

Last edited by tubman; 10-06-2018 at 08:48 AM.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:51 AM   #14
shoe box Jack

Thank you Tubman for the info. Jack.
shoe box Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:53 PM   #15

I don't have a lift, but my 1 car garage has a grease pit that the original builder put in ~1957 and apparently he wanted to convert it into a fall out shelter. Unfortunately, the home was rented before I bought it and that renter dug the pit deeper, put in grow lights and grew Marijuana in it. It is currently to deep to reach the bottom of my 37, so I put metal wire racks down in it and store extra car parts down there. I may some day put in a proper height floor...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4873.jpg (47.6 KB, 72 views)
3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:56 PM   #16
flatford8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937sedandelivery View Post
No way could I work on my cars without a lift (aka spoiled). Once you have one, you will swear by it.
I bought a new Atlas 9000lb 2 post lift several years ago from Greg Smith Equipment for ~$1500. They now list for $1700 plus shipping. I did all the install, it wasn't too bad. Good luck. You will kick yourself for not getting one...
see attached pic.
I also got a 9000# from Greg Smith.....I did the install and am very pleased with it......I agree with the advice in post #13.....I have another building I’d like to put a 4 post in......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:43 PM   #17
TJ

If you live in earth quake country I would recommend a four post lift.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:37 PM   #18
leon bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
If you're tripping on the arms then leave it up when not in use.

I thought about that Frank, didn't know if it would be bad form or not.
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:54 PM   #19
LQQKER

Have a 4 post Advantage . Some maneuvering to get wheels off but lift makes life easier. Nice that it has a wheel kit to move around if need be.
LQQKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:31 PM   #20
Dick Webber

I finally bought a Greg Smith 4 post lift 2 years ago. it’s wonderful. I’m sorry I waited so long. I wanted a drive on lift to accommodate Model A and Ts and other vehicles that require getting on floor to arrange lifting arms. I am also able to store a car above and still drive under. I like that it can be easily moved. Was about $2300 delivered and maybe 6 hours to assemble. Well pleased.
Dick Webber is offline   Reply With Quote