Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-30-2017, 09:22 AM   #1
Bill

Default 48 Ford running board molding

Last week while my wagon was being serviced by an over jealous mechanic on a hoist. The car slipped off the little jacks placed on the hoist arms to get frame clearance from the running boards. The molding got kinked in two places and the running board now has a sweep in it as the car landed on the hoist arms. My question is if I try to remove the molding which appears to "roll" on will I destroy the 70 year old rubber underneath and along the edge between the molding and the running board rubber it? My gut tells me yes. Anyone out there perform this job with any success. Also are running boards common to all models 46/48? Thanks Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:05 AM   #2
woodiewagon46

Default Re: 48 Ford running board molding

Sorry for your misfortune. I removed the trim from my wagon without doing any damage to the rubber. Even though it is '70 years old it didn't break apart. The top side is like a "hook" that goes over the running board and the bottom side has the tension. I popped the bottom side off with those plastic body moulding tools that you can pick up at at auto supply. Start at one end and slowly work your way across. When I reinstalled it I gave it a slight rub of silicone lubricant and it went on very nicely.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:59 PM   #3
Graeme / New Zealand

The running boards are different on some models. My long door coupe ones were shagged when I got the car and they are very hard to come by in New Zealand. Fordoor ones are far more common here. I replaced mine with a nice set of 4 door ones but found there was a hole staring at me when the door was open. that was of course where the chassis mount bolt goes up into the pillar on a Fordoor that is between the front and back door. So you might have a small job finding one for a Station wagon. I solved the problem by cutting a bit of the rubber with a gasket punch from the area that is hidden behind a coupe door. I then matched it into the hole with a black silicone. you have to look hard to see it. Thinking about the boards are probably not different but rather it will be where mounting bolts go through the rubber covers there would be some variation. Remember some 48 boards were also aulminium rather than steel

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:45 AM   #4
Bill

Thanks for the response. I'm still pizzed at the "tech" Should have handled the situation myself. My back and my fingers are startin' to let me down..Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:53 PM   #5
woodiewagon46

Well, the only positive is that it could have been worse. The running board and stainless is a lot better than body or fender damage.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote