Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #1
Darrell S

Default Broken Bolt

First off, Happy New Year to all of you Barners.

Yesterday I was working on the 48 removing the water pumps so I could install the Christmas presents that Santa brought. I now have a broken bolt on the right one. The one that goes into the water neck of the pump. Have tried PB Blaster and heat plus tapping with a hammer, there is only a small part of the bolt protruding out and vise grips just slip. Then drilled it for easy out but it still won't budge and I am afraid of breaking the easy out (easy?) off.

I know many of you guys with older cars than this have experience along this line, suggestions welcome.
Darrell S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:55 AM   #2
SofaKing

Default Re: Broken Bolt

If you have access to a welder, there are several threads here that explain the process of welding the broken bolt to a washer and then a nut to the washer then wrenching the whole assembly out. You will also find suggestions about using penetrant and even candle wax on the hot nut/washer/bolt assembly to lube the threads during removal. Pictures are always interesting, I am assuming it will be tough to access for welding. Keep us posted. Happy New Year
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:06 AM   #3
BW

With out seeing it, Can you drill out the bolt with out hurting the threads on the block to the point the bolt will break apart. The hard part is you need to drill threw the bolt and keep hitting it with PB Blaster. Before doing this I would see if anyone has a better idea. BW.
BW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:11 AM   #4
cmbrucew

Darrel S
You might consider leaving that issue to the machine shop that will be doing the machine work on the block. Easy for them.
Bruce
Old 01-01-2016, 11:13 AM   #5
SofaKing

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...n+bolt+removal

Try this link. I have never used this method having always welded the nut directly to the bolt but this seems a good way of not welding the nut to the block/parent metal by accident
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:35 AM   #6
19Fordy

Here are more ideas for bolt removal.
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ater+pump+bolt
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:37 AM   #7
41LjH

cmbrucew has the right idea. The same thing happened to me.
I tried ez out,heat, vice grips, etc.,nothing worked.
Took the block to the machine shop with the waterpump and they were able to get the broken bolt out. In my case the more I tried the more difficult it became.
Good luck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwwB34vxJE
41LjH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:02 PM   #8
Darrell S

Thanks for info on other threads, have read them. The engine is in the car and the spot is difficult to access. I don't have a welder but will try drilling using the old pump and a bushing as a guide to drill. I did raise the radiator up for room to work. I see that Napa has left turning drill bits, will check them tomorrow.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:02 PM   #9
Karl Wolf

Figure that it maybe easier to work on the bolt when it's in a position where you can see what you're doing. When you get to doing it, you may decide to pull the engine...

Use sharp bits. And, NEVER USE AN EASY OUT, unless you can get to the back of the bolt with a punch.

I've never used a guide to drill out a bolt... you can steer the bit to stay to center. Being a dab off center makes it so that you can collapse the bolt remnants to the middle of the hole with a angle sharpened punch.

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 03:00 PM   #10
GB SISSON

Always hated that bolt.... Scares me to death when I'm doing a water pump in place. My heart goes out to you, it's a terrible situation. I'd be tempted to just skip that bolt and use a little extra gasket sealer, but being pump/motor mount combo is scary as well. Heat is normally your friend when breaking a bolt loose. Do I understand the old pump is removed?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 03:06 PM   #11
tubman

Sell your "EZ-outs" (and all such associated gear) at your next garage sale and start a "Welder Fund". You'll be surprised how quickly your extra change can add up. I have been throwing mine in this goofy glassed-topped coffee table we have for about 6 years. I now have enough to pay the machine shop bill for my latest flathead build!
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 03:50 PM   #12
Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Sell your "EZ-outs" (and all such associated gear) at your next garage sale and start a "Welder Fund". You'll be surprised how quickly your extra change can add up. I have been throwing mine in this goofy glassed-topped coffee table we have for about 6 years. I now have enough to pay the machine shop bill for my latest flathead build!

Some have to learn the hard way lets just wait for the broken drill or easy out story.

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 03:53 PM   #13
Darrell S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Always hated that bolt.... Scares me to death when I'm doing a water pump in place. My heart goes out to you, it's a terrible situation. I'd be tempted to just skip that bolt and use a little extra gasket sealer, but being pump/motor mount combo is scary as well. Heat is normally your friend when breaking a bolt loose. Do I understand the old pump is removed?
Yes, pumps are removed. It has had lots of heat, doesn't seem to want to break loose.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:58 PM   #14
jake197000

i know this doesnt help but ez outs r for getting the easy ones out.if u cant weld a nut on it id progressivly drill it and pick out the remains helicoil if ness.
jake197000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:30 PM   #15
Binx

Maybe ask around for a mobile welding service that can come to you. Here's an example of one an hour South of you... I would highly recommend TIG welding for that type of problem.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bar/5375924697.html

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:34 PM   #16
Charlie Stephens

Based on your location there should be a lot of shops that evolved to support the aerospace industry in removing broken bolts. Ask some of the auto repair shops where they take theirs.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:40 PM   #17
mrtexas

I removed the same bolt with a mig welder.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:13 AM   #18
fordor41

I hear a lot of chatter on how terrible easy-outs are. I have used them, both spiral and straight, in industry for years and don't think I have ever broken one. Of course I've never had to remove a bolt from a F/H water pump! Have to use the correct size and pick your battles. Some bolts are just plain impossible to remove by hand.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote