Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-21-2015, 10:31 AM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Default The 1940 Ford Cutaway

What you see before you is something so incredibly rare that there doesn't seem to be anyone alive that can actually tell us why it was made or for whom. It's a 1940 Ford cutaway ... To read the rest of this blog entry from The Ford Barn, click here.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:44 AM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: The 1940 Ford Cutaway

That is really special. I am surprised the FORD MOTOR COMPANY wasn't interested. It definitely is a museum piece and worth saving and sharing with the public and auto enthusiasts.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:19 PM   #3
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

I would start looking at material on the '39-40 World's fair, where Ford had a major pavilion, as a possible origin...donating the thing to a major engineering university would seem to be a sensible thing for Ford to have done when the fair closed and the 1941 models came out.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:51 PM   #4
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
I would start looking at material on the '39-40 World's fair, where Ford had a major pavilion, as a possible origin...donating the thing to a major engineering university would seem to be a sensible thing for Ford to have done when the fair closed and the 1941 models came out.

That's what my thoughts were too. Possibly a display from the 1940 Worlds Fair in NY.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:57 PM   #5
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

It's spectacular to us, but was just so much junk to Ford once they were no longer selling '40's!
Ford made spectacular cutaways and display parts, at least from the early 1930's into the '60's...they made production parts look like jewelry.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #6
Gary in La.

It is shown in Lorin Sorensen's book "The Ford Shows" in his Fordiana series. The notation on the page is for the 1940 Michigan State Fair. Would also think it was shown at the 1940 New York world's far.
There were also cutaway 1937,1938 and 1939 chassis for the respective shows and fairs.

Last edited by Gary in La.; 01-21-2015 at 01:24 PM. Reason: add info
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:23 PM   #7
Mart

It looks great - the fella did a fantastic job of restoring it. My guess would be that it would have been a promotional piece for motor shows and then offered as an educational aid. It may have been produced by an apprentice school at Ford or some training school, ford or otherwise.

I served my apprenticeship at "The Austin" at Longbridge. there was a similarly prepared Austin A40 chassis and I saw it at Bromsgrove college. I was told that it was prepared by Austin apprentices and loaned to the college. I wouldn't be surprised if the Ford chassis has a similar history.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:42 PM   #8
Corn Fed

I went to ISU in the late 80's/early 90's and remember that chassis well. I myself tried to buy it (and had Loren Muench as a professor) but couldn't get anyone that had any authority to sell it. It was never used in any of my classes and was just a dusty relic in an old storage section of the Industrial Tech department. Besides the chassis, there was also a cutaway of a 40's-50's Chevy 6 engine and some transmissions. All of these items certainly were from the factory because they were way too detailed with chromed parts that a college class couldn't afford to do. I always wondered what became of the chassis since the building it was stored in has since been torn down. Good to see it's still alive and wasn't parted out.
Corn Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:56 PM   #9
JM 35 Sedan

Would make a great display at the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum in Auburn, IN.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:03 PM   #10
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone; That would be a big hit at any V8 Club National Meet.

I'm sure I could look at it for hours.

First I've seen a chrome Ring & Pinion set! Maybe I don't get out much!?!

Here's some shots of a cutaway engine is in Don Garlits' museum in Ocala. http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...hlight=cutaway

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:08 PM   #11
deuce_roadster

Those cut-a-ways are really interesting. I was in charge of restoring a cut-a-way engine and transmission that our Regional Group donated to Jerry Windle for the museum and is now in the Auburn In museum. It was displayed at the California museum in Sacramento before the EFV8 club had their own building. Our particular engine/trans was a 21 stud block but it had 24 stud heads with dummy studs in all the holes except 2 that lined up and held the head on, the trans was a 40. It had parts from many years, the intake was a 46-48 so it must have been updated. I will dig up pictures and make an album.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:23 PM   #12
mercman from oz

That 1940 Ford Cutaway is a thing of real beauty. The restorer has done a marvelous job restoring it back to how it was when Ford made it for displaying, and is to be congratulated on doing such a fine job on this rare piece of Ford History.
The attached photo is of a 1940 Mercury Chassis that is on display at the Early Ford V8 Foundation Museum is Auburn, Indiana. While this is a great exhibit also, it is not a cutaway like the 1940 Ford Chassis.
I hope that his 1940 Ford Cutaway Chassis is going to be displayed in a museum where people can appreciate it for what it is.
Thanks for sharing these great photos of this masterpiece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0393.jpg (80.5 KB, 2304 views)
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:30 PM   #13
jimTN

I too believe I have seen it in a picture mounted on a chrome tube frame that rotated and was built for the shows.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:42 PM   #14
raprice22

Quote:
I would have to agree with Bruce. It has to be specially made for exhibit in an auto show. Just looking at the cutaways and the chrome treatments lead me to that conclusion.
Rog
raprice22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:03 PM   #15
Fordors

Quote:
I don't know if the Ford chassis was exhibited at the 1939-'40 NYWF, but Sorensen's "The Ford Shows" does have a picture of a 1940 Mercury Fordor with both cutaway chassis and body. The photo does not show much, the car is too far away, so I didn't scan and post it.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:38 PM   #16
Lawrie

There is a 33/34 cutaway chassis here in Australia,its at the birdwood mill museum in SA,
It looks the same with eng ,trans etc all sectioned.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:05 PM   #17
TonyM

I really enjoy stuff like this. Thanks for posting.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:23 PM   #18
funrunr

Here he lies Broken Hearted, spent all weekend trying to get that Mercury Started!
Old 01-21-2015, 07:50 PM   #19
Jim in Wisconsin

There are some pictures of a 33-34 "exploded" cut-a-way chassis on the "The Old Motor" website. It was at the Worlds Fair in 1934. There is an amazing amount of work and terrific workmanship in those things.
Jim in Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:57 PM   #20
funrunr

That chassis is astonishing! Never heard of Rick Rennebohm of Whidbey Island, WA. but he definitely did a excellent job restoring that piece of automotive history!
Perfect for the 75th birthday of the 40 Ford.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:50 PM   #21
Fordors

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
I really enjoy stuff like this. Thanks for posting.
How about this display from the 1934 edition of the Century of Progress, Tony? As I mentioned here before Henry dragged his feet and didn't go to Chicago in 1933; but in 1934 this complete Fordor was displayed in cabinets for all to see. The series of photos show everything, for example a lower seat spring assembly was broken down to individual pieces, the radiator as tubes and plates (for the fins) etc. Those were the days!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0048.jpg (85.7 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg scan0050.jpg (135.7 KB, 129 views)
Old 01-21-2015, 08:58 PM   #22
TonyM

Thanks Larry. I have seen that. That is really something.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:53 PM   #23
deuce_roadster

Here is a picture of the engine and trans we restored. If you go to my public albums you can see other pics of this.

deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:40 PM   #24
tubman

When I went to the University of Minnesota in 1961-62, there was a cutaway V8-60 of about this same quality in a hallway in the second floor of the Mechanical Engineering building. What ever happened to it, I have no idea. I would expect Ford made these for various exhibitions, etc. and when they were done with them, donated them to various educational institutions. When I was in high school, we had a beautiful set of folio size full color presentation books donated to the school by the local Chevrolet dealer. The one for 1957 had a very informative section on the new fuel-injected 283. These had clear plastic colored overlays that worked sort of like the cutouts on these Fords.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:59 AM   #25
TJ

There could have been more than one of these 40 chassis. In '39 and '40 there were two World's Fairs. One in New York and one at Treasure Island in California. Ford may have made one for each exhibition?
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:17 PM   #26
s nichols

corn fed - i think Dick Pearson got that chassis . he has some stuff in Randle but i didnt see it when i got a flathead motor from his son a couple years ago. last time i heard hes in Texas? he took the 32 cabro with him- the 39 is in Randle STEVE
s nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:53 PM   #27
jimalabam

Hate to burst you guys bubble, BUT when I was in High School 1951-55, In the auto shop lab was a 1936 Ford Chassis cut-a-way much the same as the posted 1940. The cut-a-way background colors on that chassis were medium green and the chassis had ALL White tires. After graduation never visited the school again, and don't know where the chassis originated from but after I became interested in old Fords, later checked to find that the chassis and the Auto Shop classes had not been at the school in years. Guess - this was a Ford promotion to schools for educational purposes. Funny so little is known of such chassis. Best regards, Jim Langley...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:55 PM   #28
jimalabam

Forgot to state, this was Jordan Vocational High School in Columbus, GA...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:25 PM   #29
35Rich

The Rest of the Story: 40 Ford Cutaway Chassis
I congratulate Rick Rennebohm on his magnificent restoration of the above 1940 Ford Cutaway Chassis and also to Ryan on his initial write-up on this piece.Mycorrespondence with Rick R during his restoration dealt mainly with the history of the piece during it’s time at ISU as I was the person who ‘discovered’ it as a significant Ford Motor artifact in 1994 when it was ultimately sold to Dick Pearson.There is however indeed, much that is known about the history of these Cutaway Chassis and why they were built, which I will outline very briefly below.
Based on information in the ‘V8 Times’ the bi-monthly publication of the Early Ford V8 Club of America and also the ‘Famous Ford V-8’s‘ book ( part of a series of books) by Lorin Sorensen, the Ford Motor Company built many of these Cutaways (engines, drive line components, and entire chassis), from Model T days through the early Ford V8 years for use in ‘Ford Mechanic’ schools as training devices.They were also used in various major shows, and also displayed at Ford dealers during the 1930’s. Some of these units migrated to various educational institutions following their usefulness to the Ford Motor Company. In the two sources mentioned above there are at least 20 photos with descriptions of such chassis or cutaway driveline units in the USA (also includes a 1932 Cutaway chassis unit shown in London with RH drive)! Although these Cutaway Chassis are considered ‘rare’ they are in fact well known to ‘Old Ford Guys’ who have an interest in this aspect of Ford Motor Company history.
So, thanks to the efforts of Rick Rennebohm, these beautifully crafted pieces of history are getting the recognition and exposure they deserve!Thanks.
Richard Grieve, President, Iowa Regional Group #145 EFV8 Club of America
35Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:39 PM   #30
35Rich

The Rest of the Story: 40 Ford Cutaway Chassis
I congratulate Rick Rennebohm on his magnificent restoration of the above 1940 Ford Cutaway Chassis and also to Ryan on his initial write-up on this piece.Mycorrespondence with Rick R during his restoration dealt mainly with the history of the piece during it’s time at ISU as I was the person who ‘discovered’ it as a significant Ford Motor artifact in 1994 when it was ultimately sold to Dick Pearson.There is however indeed, much that is known about the history of these Cutaway Chassis and why they were built, which I will outline very briefly below.
Based on information in the ‘V8 Times’ the bi-monthly publication of the Early Ford V8 Club of America and also the ‘Famous Ford V-8’s‘ book ( part of a series of books) by Lorin Sorensen, the Ford Motor Company built many of these Cutaways (engines, drive line components, and entire chassis), from Model T days through the early Ford V8 years for use in ‘Ford Mechanic’ schools as training devices.They were also used in various major shows, and also displayed at Ford dealers during the 1930’s. Some of these units migrated to various educational institutions following their usefulness to the Ford Motor Company. In the two sources mentioned above there are at least 20 photos with descriptions of such chassis or cutaway driveline units in the USA (also includes a 1932 Cutaway chassis unit shown in London with RH drive)! Although these Cutaway Chassis are considered ‘rare’ they are in fact well known to ‘Old Ford Guys’ who have an interest in this aspect of Ford Motor Company history.
So, thanks to the efforts of Rick Rennebohm, these beautifully crafted pieces of history are getting the recognition and exposure they deserve!Thanks.
Richard Grieve, President, Iowa Regional Group #145 EFV8 Club of America
35Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:06 PM   #31
Bill

To refresh this post this chassis was on display at the Grand National Roadster Show in L.A. this past weekend. Unfortunately I was not there! The display claimed it was chassis #1 produced for the 1939 World's Fair. I got this info from a blog that appears three times a week written by rodder Lynn Pew. Visit his site www.pewsplace.com Visit his 1/26 blog and scroll down till you see the chassis. Always something of interest as Lynn has lived the dream for 65 years. Funny how these things keep showing up ain't it! Bill in Fl. for awhile....
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:41 PM   #32
englishdavid

Got to see this at the GNRS last weekend, it was stunning.
englishdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:02 PM   #33
expavr

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishdavid View Post
Got to see this at the GNRS last weekend, it was stunning.
Amen. A rare piece of eye candy!!!! My hats off to Rick Rennebohm for preserving that artifact with such a quality restoration. Well done......
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:27 AM   #34
BrianCT

Here are some close-ups from the GNRS.
What a great show.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01895.jpg (91.8 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01897.jpg (87.4 KB, 159 views)
Old 01-31-2015, 06:00 PM   #35
Bill

To bend this thread a little...assuming you could locate a decent rolling chassis in the 5K range what would it cost to duplicate a similar example? Would the process used be much different than 1939? Would modern technology make it simpler. Have I been sitting out in the sun too long.... Bill in Fl.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:34 AM   #36
4tford

Is there a way to save the full size pics to my computer??
4tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:33 AM   #37
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tford View Post
Is there a way to save the full size pics to my computer??
Sort of. If you right click on the image and select "inspect element" then look at the code (normally near or above the highlighted line) for a link that ends in ".jpeg" or ".jpg". If you right click on that and select "Open link in new tab", the image should appear as a separate entity. Then you can right click on that image and save it to your computer.

As your request is for personal use only, not reposting, hopefully Ryan should have no objections.

Mart.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:31 PM   #38
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Sort of. If you right click on the image and select "inspect element" then look at the code (normally near or above the highlighted line) for a link that ends in ".jpeg" or ".jpg". If you right click on that and select "Open link in new tab", the image should appear as a separate entity. Then you can right click on that image and save it to your computer.

As your request is for personal use only, not reposting, hopefully Ryan should have no objections.

Mart.
That's interesting, all I have to do is right click and select save as.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:02 PM   #39
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
That's interesting, all I have to do is right click and select save as.
As JSeery states.......RIGHT click and "Save As" will save it.

BUT, if you first LEFT click on the image to enlarge it, and then RIGHT click and "Save As", the "saved" image will have been saved in a larger format. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #40
Mart

Our computers must be set up differently.

When I click on the first image in the blog page, it comes up with a nice big image, but I can't save that. it's part of a set of pictures and clicking on it takes you to the next pic.

As the poster was asking about saving the image, I assumed his must be like mine, and an obvious method of saving wasn't available.

It must be easier with some computer setups than others.

Mart.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:48 PM   #41
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
To bend this thread a little...assuming you could locate a decent rolling chassis in the 5K range what would it cost to duplicate a similar example? Would the process used be much different than 1939? Would modern technology make it simpler. Have I been sitting out in the sun too long.... Bill in Fl.
Hi Everyone. Bill: Talk about being 'upside down' on your build!?!

Temporarily put aside the cut-away aspect, I'm gob-smacked impressed by the chrome work on the subject piece! That alone would be more than a couple thousand $, maybe even 10K. Paint likely even more $ because of the increased number of surfaces that are painted by hand or using extensive masking then spraying.

The machine work would be huge, many hundreds of hours. I can't really see how modern computer-aided milling stuff could help a lot because their main benefit is when things need to be done repeatedly.

Yikes! I'm sure glad Mr. Rennebohm stepped up to the plate, because from the photos it sure looks like he hit a grand-slam! I sure hope I can see it in person one day.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:25 AM   #42
4tford

thanks Mart, I got it done. I love to sit and look at them and enlarge a big as possible and still be clear. Much better than drawings.
4tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:36 AM   #43
Wmgmitchell

This chassis, or one just like it, was on display at the Grand National Roadster Show in Pomona, CA last month. They also had a section devoted to 40 Fords but unfortunately, most were hot rods.
Wmgmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:03 PM   #44
Bruce_MO

I have photos somewhere of what I remember being a '46-'48 cutaway chassis at the Imperial Palace car museum in Las Vegas. I'll try to dig them up... it was 20 yrs ago, so maybe I'm way off. That museum had an incredible collection of stuff.
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:45 PM   #45
flyin-t

Mystery solved, here's a cutaway of the Ford 1940 chassis at the Ford Style Show, Hotel Astor, 1939.

Last edited by flyin-t; 02-11-2015 at 05:03 PM.
flyin-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:18 PM   #46
flyin-t

2 more shots

flyin-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:34 AM   #47
shehabmedhat

nice thanxxxxxxxxxxxxx
shehabmedhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:32 AM   #48
mercman from oz

This 1940 Ford cutaway rolling Chassis is an absolute masterpiece. Just look at the detail everywhere you look. It is also very appropriate being shown as the 1940 Ford celebrates its 75th Birthday.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:34 PM   #49
Shadetree

I can still remember our 8th grade trip to the Smithsonian Institute in Washington DC in 1951. There was a bodiless car on display split down the middle revealing all of the inner workings of the engine and running gear. I was fascinated and looked at it for a long time.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:20 PM   #50
TonyM

Very cool. I would have loved to see this in person.

Thanks for posting Mercman OZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post

This 1940 Ford cutaway rolling Chassis is an absolute masterpiece. Just look at the detail everywhere you look. It is also very appropriate being shown as the 1940 Ford celebrates its 75th Birthday.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:55 PM   #51
VeryTangled

Hi Everone, I have to say that this is a fabulous car. IMHO, it's the #2 coolest car I'VE EVER SEEN on FordBarn.

BTW, the only reason it can't be #1 is because that car does 9 and change in the 1/4 mile!

But, man, this is one sweet, um, flathead porn. I could look at it for hours. And then come back the next day and spend hours again. My mind just whirls when I look closer.

So do we think this is the car from the Hotel Astor 1939 display, or it's twin?

Thanks Ryan, the owner, and everyone else for batting this one around.

Mercman, do you have any more shots?

Old 04-18-2015, 05:21 PM   #52
mercman from oz

These photos were taken at the 1940 Ford Day in Arizona earlier this year, celebrating 75 Years of the 1940 Fords.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:02 AM   #53
markivpedalpusher

Amazing!!!
markivpedalpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #54
Brian Clark

cOMPLIMENTS! coMPLIMENTS! cOMPLIMENTS! i HAVE seen this chassis twice at the L.A. Roadster show. IT is an unbelievable find and what a superb restoration!!!! Kudos amundo! One helpful comment: Turn the bumper guards 180 degrees. The "dull" end goes up. I know it doesn't seem right, but trust me. This chassis ROCKS!!! If storage is an issue - ever - it would be great to see it on display (even if just for a period) at the Ford Foundation Museum in Auburn. I am on the board of trustees and we are always excited by this kind of Ford history. Great job and thank you for the effort you spent on this piece of art and history. Brian
Brian Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:56 PM   #55
donno21

Thumbs up Re: The 1940 Ford Cutaway

At one time, The Imperial Palace Collection in Las Vegas had a similar cut away. The info board for the unit said it was produced by Ford as a training / teaching aid for prospective mechanic's. Can't vouch for that. Believe it was supposed to be a '46. Don't know if it's still there or not.
donno21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:42 AM   #56
Blu Dice

This whole story came up before about 2-3 years ago, and the guy that posted it actually my contact with a person at ford that knew a little bit a bout the thing. I can't remember if it was posted on here or another site - HAMB maybe?
Old 01-29-2016, 08:25 PM   #57
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone, Bump because this is for sale at Barrett-Jackson tomorrow.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Event...CHASSIS-185518

Another thread started on the auction here...

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188077

Old 01-30-2016, 12:27 AM   #58
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Hi Everyone, Bump because this is for sale at Barrett-Jackson tomorrow.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Event...CHASSIS-185518

Another thread started on the auction here...

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188077
Dang... Gotta watch that one. Funny, I look right smack dab at the middle of Whidbey Island from my kitchen window. All I ever saw was the was the airbase NAS Whidbey at Oak Harbor. I do jobs on Whidbey and now I have someone to look up while in the area. That is one stunning job on that cut-away. Holy COW!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:06 PM   #59
Paul Meske

The restoration on this cut a way chassis was done by Troy Wait of Hot Rod Alley in Phoenix, Arizona at his shop. I took pics of this when it first arrived in his shop and made other photos of it as he made progress on it. As I recall, we never did find any number(s) stamped in the frame where they should have been. I would argue that it is not number 1 with the star in front.
Paul Meske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:25 PM   #60
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone. Paul, can you share any of your photos? Amazing work and amazing vehicle!

Old 08-15-2016, 05:51 PM   #61
Bill

For no particular reason I would like to know where it went after the BJ auction. Would love to see it up close... Bill
Old 10-31-2016, 07:21 AM   #62
arnie

Looks like it was 88,000
arnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:38 PM   #63
Rebel Sympathy

I grew up about a block from Florida Southern College in Lakeland, Florida. The Industrial Arts department was on McDonald St., on my side of the campus (north side). I was over there all the time because guys were working on their cars there. Inside was an identical 1940 Ford cut-a-way chassis with lots of chrome and painted in kind of a metallic bronze/gold. Years later, I saw that cut-a-way under a lean-to shed out on the west side of Lakeland, on Wabash Ave. I moved away shortly thereafter and never saw it again......
Old 08-06-2017, 08:39 PM   #64
Brentwilliams13

There is one on display at Memory Lane Museum in Mooresville North Carolina.
10$ admission and well worth it.
Check it out.
Brentwilliams13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:02 PM   #65
JohnnyMac

The Lemay Family Collection in Spanaway,Wa has a 1935-36 cutaway frame which has been completely restored by volunteers. Cutaway frames were used for instruction and displays throughout the world. There must be many around the United States.
JohnnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:30 AM   #66
fortyonerag

I learn something every time I look at that thing. Love it!
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:33 AM   #67
sodbuster

I forgot about this post. Very cool.

Chris
sodbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 09:24 PM   #68
Ken/Alabama

Back in the 70s a friend of mine in Columbus Georgia had one of those that he acquired from a trade school. He wound up trading it off. Such a neat piece but it takes up a lot of space.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote