Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-25-2021, 11:55 AM   #1
third_edition

Default Bolts for Pickup Box to Frame (1939)

Hi All,

I am hoping someone here can help me out...

The box on my 1939 P/U rests on boards which are bolted to the frame. In between the boards and the frame, the truck uses Wooden cross members which raise the box up off the frame at the front and at the rear.

I believe carriage bolts, about 8" long, are used to hold this all together. They appear to be 7/16" diameter (hard to say as they are pretty much non-existent now).

My problem is that I have searched high and low for 7/16" x 8" carriage bolts and have had no luck in sourcing them. This seems strange as they are available in 3/8" diameter and 1/2" diameter (the guy at the fastener store says that nobody uses 7/16").

I would not feel safe holding the bed in place with 3/16" and 1/2" is too big for the holes in the steel part of the frame.

Does anybody know where I can get these?

thanks,
George
third_edition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 12:18 PM   #2
Mart

Default Re: Bolts for Pickup Box to Frame (1939)

I used metric on my 41. Not sure if I used 10mm or 12mm. Would something like that be more available there?
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 12:58 PM   #3
tomcarman

Try this link.

https://www.google.com/search?q=7/16...00932215364682
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:03 PM   #4
38bill

You could always go with a kit if you cant find them locally.

https://www.horkeyswoodandparts.com/....php#boxoframe
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 05:06 PM   #5
DavidG

Michael Driskell at thirdgenauto.com likely has them in the correct length and thread count.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:26 AM   #6
third_edition

Thanks to all of you for your help - BTW, I talked to Mike and although they used to sell these (they were in the old Roy Nacewicz catalogue) he had to discontinue them as they were almost impossible to source / manufacture for a reasonable price.
Cheers,
George
Old 10-28-2021, 07:41 AM   #7
oldandtired

Do the long bolts you are looking for to use on your 39 have the square hole in the top like the ones used on 35-37 pickup beds?
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:16 AM   #8
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by third_edition View Post
Thanks to all of you for your help - BTW, I talked to Mike and although they used to sell these (they were in the old Roy Nacewicz catalogue) he had to discontinue them as they were almost impossible to source / manufacture for a reasonable price.
Cheers,
George
George
Bolts are my business. Mike and I have had conversations about these particular bolts you require......THERE are two major issues you are facing. 1) The "majority" of fastener suppliers and fastener manufacturers are producing products for the "Industrial" market NOT the "Automotive" market and 7/16 & 9/16 are NOT commonly used diameters in the "Industrial" world (IF at all) . WHY automotive manufacturers/Engineers use 7/16 & 9/16 I have NO clue......WHY they just can't either increase OR decrease the diameter of the bolt is beyond me??
2)There are a few manufacturer's I deal with that could "certainly" make these items, NO problem......The problem lies in the quantity. The "cost" of set up of the machinery to make them is "HIGH" and the quantity needed for "stock" is cost prohibitive.......SO its a "demand" issue, Unfortunately!!!!! AS you can figure, the amount needed to make the price palatable would supply the need for two life times of demand.

This doesn't help you I know BUT this is how it is!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:43 PM   #9
Kube

When I needed these for the '40 pickup restoration I'd done, I'd purchased the reproduction bolts from Mac's. They were of course, much too short for the required application but had the proper head, diameter and thread count.
It was an easy task to cut the "center section" out of the repop bolts, weld in the additional length of shaft needed, re-plate and done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030932.jpg (48.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 10-28-2021, 09:36 PM   #10
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandtired View Post
Do the long bolts you are looking for to use on your 39 have the square hole in the top like the ones used on 35-37 pickup beds?

On the 38 truck there was the square tool flat top bolts. 38-39 share a lot of the same items. 38 had a metal bed floor. Not sure on 39. When I was looking for them, a long while back. Roy told me they are not being made by anyone.

In a coffee can I have most of the original bolts, some had to be cut out. There is a cast wegdes also to square the bolt to the frame. Kube makes a good point that with a cutoff and a tig you can salvage for an original look. Or just use the best that are available currently.

Last edited by Tinker; 10-28-2021 at 10:34 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 06:53 AM   #11
rockfla

IF someone has the "correct" length (OR If it is for sure 8") I will be happy to check with my two specialty manufacturers and see just what they would cost to have made...what the quantity break might be....etc etc. AS for the thread count I don't think that would make a difference being course thread instead of Fine, correct??? AS course thread is WAY more common in my world of fasteners.

HOW many per truck are needed to, that way I can figure a quantity based on a sets of them??
Old 10-29-2021, 09:27 AM   #12
tubman

Come to think of it, I can't remember ever seeing a fine-thread carriage bolt.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:27 AM   #13
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Come to think of it, I can't remember ever seeing a fine-thread carriage bolt.
Oh yes... many applications. Body to frame on '39 & '40 Fords are the ones that come to mind immediately. Also, the ones utilized along the exhaust system.
The bed to frame bolts (PU) are fine thread as well.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:29 AM   #14
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Oh yes... many applications. Body to frame on '39 & '40 Fords are the ones that come to mind immediately. Also, the ones utilized along the exhaust system.
The bed to frame bolts (PU) are fine thread as well.

That is automotive for you!!
Old 10-29-2021, 02:41 PM   #15
GaryU.

My turn! These are the remaining original bolts from my '39 pickup bed. I was there on that day when my "pop's" and brothers thought we should take the fenders, running boards off my pickup that was used on my Grandparents farm. This happened in 1981 best I can guess. Since the other pieces were off we proceeded to remove the bed bolts as well. Wish we had never done this as the pickup, although being very abused, was mostly original. I have a repro bed with the inaccurate wood floor instead of steel per my wishes but still have one side of those original bolts. Front most is a long carriage bolt while the rest have the taper top with the square indentation for tightening, all fine thread. Hope this helps.
GaryU. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:11 PM   #16
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryU. View Post
My turn! These are the remaining original bolts from my '39 pickup bed. I was there on that day when my "pop's" and brothers thought we should take the fenders, running boards off my pickup that was used on my Grandparents farm. This happened in 1981 best I can guess. Since the other pieces were off we proceeded to remove the bed bolts as well. Wish we had never done this as the pickup, although being very abused, was mostly original. I have a repro bed with the inaccurate wood floor instead of steel per my wishes but still have one side of those original bolts. Front most is a long carriage bolt while the rest have the taper top with the square indentation for tightening, all fine thread. Hope this helps.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:16 PM   #17
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryU. View Post
Could I get just a picture of the head of the "other" bolt, they appear to be a "bucket tooth" bolt???? AND how far is the 8-1/2 carriage head bolt threaded??? about 1-1/2"'s or just shy??
Old 10-29-2021, 07:20 PM   #18
GaryU.

Not a "bucket tooth" bolt on the the 3 tapered head bolts, a smooth taper on all. You got the thread length correct on basically all the tapered head bolts 1 1/2 inches give or take a bit with the long carriage bolt having threads of 1 3/8 inches.
GaryU. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 11:07 PM   #19
Tinker

Great post GaryU and pictures.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:32 AM   #20
third_edition

Thanks for everybody's input...

I've decided to TIG weld a set of bolts for my truck. I can get the exact length I need and use fine thread "donor bolts". I will fab up a little "jig" to ensure they are straight. I can get Grade 5 Carriage Bolts which should suffice.

Cheers,
George