Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-23-2021, 09:49 PM   #1
kwisor

Default up date flat head ted kit install

hello
i am still working in my brakes. on the rear i have the two square pins on.and two things are happening. i have the backing plate off the car. i replaced the roller track assy. i thought i would test the adj of the pins and i can not get them to turn. i took it back apart and they turn fine in the shoes. also working the brake leaver not all of the rollers are turning. any ideas?
thank you
kevin
kwisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:36 AM   #2
GeneBob

Default Re: up date flat head ted kit install

You may need to rework or replace your rollers. Check clearances around the rollers to make sure you don't have a roller dragging on the brake shoe or the pin through the roller center. I used a "never seize" type lubricant on those parts but use only a thin layer.

The Ted's offset square head pin allows you to center the brake shoes on the axle centerline before installing the drums. You need to buy, rent, borrow or make a shoe centering tool to do this with any accuracy. This tool allows you to rotate on the wheel bearing race and measure the gap around the brake shoes in order to center them.

One suggestion that I used on my install was to make a mark on the end of the square headed pin to point to the nominal position so you can see which way you have adjusted the pin.
I found that if you push the shoe away from the track, you can rotate the square headed pin with the shoes in place. Then make sure they are seated on the pins before checking for center again.
Keep reading the 3 or 4 different articles about this install because as you do the install, the articles and the instructions start to make more sense.
GeneBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:07 PM   #3
kwisor

Default Re: up date flat head ted kit install

thank you for the info
kevin
kwisor is offline   Reply With Quote