Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-16-2020, 08:52 PM   #1
mgambuzza

Default First "Legal" Ride

Well in today's COVID environment, I finally received my plates and registration, so I could take this for a nicer, longer ride. I almost wish I had done that before the purchase - but now that's water over the bridge....

Steering - I would say a bit of play. Just sitting I can move the wheel about 3" without even moving the wheels. When driving it amplifies the effect as when in motion if the car drifts left or right it is a left-right-left-right to get it back straight again. Hopefully an adjustment, or worn parts - I'll see.

Running, idling, and higher idle - intermittent metal on metal chattering - sounding like either something loose in the engine compartment? Possibly either worn rubber mounts, engine mounts (if it has them), or some other item that is causing the noise? That will require some investigation.

While driving and hitting bumps, again more thunking - like metal on metal sound. Probably more related to worn rubber isolation causing metal to metal sounds??

The tail lights - went out again - this will be the easiest to resolve - connectors went open again. There is an overabundance of good and "cobbed" connectors. I'll solder wiring to eliminate most, and get some good quality connectors for ease of replacement if necessary in the future.

Other items I see and know I'll have to work on include new tires, tubes, fuel float (got those parts today),and working on the speedometer. Tires,tubes, and inner protector I can order, then decide whether I'll do it or if there's a shop locally that can do it reasonably. Speedometer, I'll have to pull the dash to see whether it is the cable or if it is the speedometer assembly - more to come on that.

Overall, even with its faults, the ride did put a smile on my face. The simplicity, mechanical feel, the noise of the gears, although different from when I was driving my '70 Corvette, I could get that same, if not more mechanical appreciation for it. It was dark when I took it for a ride, and the smiles, thumbs up, beeps, and enthusiasm from the public made me feel much better even with its faults. I know it will likely be a journey to get many of these items resolved, but as I'm sure many enthusiasts on this site will agree, very satisfying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NightView.jpg (55.8 KB, 117 views)
mgambuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:06 PM   #2
wwirz

Default Re: First "Legal" Ride

Since I purchased my Model A in May of this year, I have to say it has taken nearly this long to work all the bugs out of it to take it on longer rides. A Model A is not a Corvette or even a 51 plymouth.....However, it is fun to drive and generally simple mechanically. If you have not joined a club you need to do that. You also need to purchase the Les Andrews Red Book. I hope you have as much fun with your Tudor as I have had with mine. More fun to come.
wwirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:10 PM   #3
Synchro909

IMO, getting/keeping these cars running is part of the attraction - something most young people can't understand.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:08 PM   #4
mgambuzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwirz View Post
Since I purchased my Model A in May of this year, I have to say it has taken nearly this long to work all the bugs out of it to take it on longer rides. A Model A is not a Corvette or even a 51 plymouth.....However, it is fun to drive and generally simple mechanically. If you have not joined a club you need to do that. You also need to purchase the Les Andrews Red Book. I hope you have as much fun with your Tudor as I have had with mine. More fun to come.
...as a matter of fact - just received the Red Book today. Will definitely help in many of the repairs I'll encounter.
mgambuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:20 PM   #5
Mulletwagon

So far, sounds pretty typical for a post-hybernation run. With power and automatic nothing, Model As are real time machines. When folks wave to you be sure and give them a very satisfying "AH-OO-GA"; they will love it !!
Welcome to the hobby.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:42 AM   #6
30 Closed Cab PU

The nice thing about pulling a hibernating car into service, is that you become familiar with it. Hopefully nothing serious goes wrong, but if it does the fiddling done makes troubleshooting tons easier.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:33 PM   #7
abachman3

Changing the Tires, Inner Tubes, and Liners is relative easy. There are a number of Utube videos on doing that.
abachman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:59 PM   #8
jbwthree

Congrats. I’m in the same place with a ‘30 Tudor purchase that I brought home 3 weeks ago. It’s up on stands now as I sort the brakes out but loving my turn at keeping this classic alive. I do look forward to my first real drive though !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jbwthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:07 PM   #9
GRutter

Mine has had squeaks and noises I've promised myself to locate for years... but as soon as I pull it out of the garage it's so fun to drive I just forget about all the little things wrong with it and just enjoy it.
GRutter is offline   Reply With Quote