Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-07-2014, 10:46 AM   #21
Terry,NJ

Default Re: So disapointed in Macs

Bert's is not just a visit, It's an experience. Where can you visit a show room with vintage parts, a warehouse with bins full of vintage parts, and engine rebuilder and Mod.A mechanic shop and a Mod A Junkyard all under one roof?
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #22
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise_24 View Post
By all means, you are happy with them so I would think anyone would encourage you to continue to deal with them. The slow shipping times is enough to make me say no thanks, I'll go else where, and deal with someone who has things in order and can get it out faster.
X2
It seems most of the more experienced know to stay away. i have noticed more newbies tend to use them mostly by reading previous threads on the subject.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:26 AM   #23
Rene R

Bert's and Bratton's cover all the bases for me. Great service, especially from Bert's. And as others have said, when I pass through Denver it's a pilgrimage to stop at the shop.

I did try to order something from Mac's a couple of years ago; I forget what, or why. Must have seen a promo or something. All I remember about it is that it was something small (spark plug connectors or the like) that could have gone in a padded envelope for $1.96 postage. Their shipping charge was $15, non-negotiable. More than the cost of the order. I canceled it and never went back.
Rene R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #24
mshmodela

As a newbie, I've gotton 90% of my parts from Synders, i tried Mac twice no issue but when Don calls you personally on an order that he suspects is a miss well it's service you just do not get much today.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio

Last edited by mshmodela; 07-07-2014 at 01:00 PM.
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #25
Brother Hesekiel

Mac's has been swallowed by Corvette parts supplier Eckler, who has also swallowed Porsche parts supplier Performance Parts here in California, among others. It's a corporate giant that is expanding, and they invest their money in struggling businesses and use their experience in the parts business and shipping to turn their investment into profits to expand further. It's just a business decision.

I like to compare it to Walmart, where it comes down to the bottom line. The cheapest Chinese parts, at cut-throat prices, to hurt the competition. Macs uses very aggressive marketing, so aggressive that all of their spam goes right into my junk mail box by default.

Folks, like buying nuts and bolts at the hardware store in town instead of Lowe's or Home Depot, if we can help it, we owe it to ourselves to buy our parts from that small business that is run by enthusiasts who go out of their way to help us out. If we have to pay a buck more for the same part once in a while, so be it, and I consider it smart business. If we allow the giant to squeeze the small businesses out of business, as Walmart does it, we'll be stuck with Mac's, who then will raise prices and show us the erected middle finger constantly. Whomever you buy your Model A parts from, don't buy them from Mac's unless you absolutely must because it's out of stock everywhere and you can't afford to wait.

Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #26
Bill Goddard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangarb7 View Post
Again, thanks for sharing. Last week I had a disappointing experience with Snyders, yet what they recommended was correct and the parts were delivered the next day.

I had called to not only order but to ask a question; the fellow they switched me to (clearly an older fellow) was rude because he had to answer more than one question.

Since this was a specific body question, at one point I asked if he had done the install of this part himself, and I guess that was a bit too far because the question and answer period was over! How dare I ask that?!

However, in six years I have received most everything that I have ordered on time and correctly. I will continue to buy from Snyders but will experiment with Berts just to get familiar with them. I think I need someone more personable to answer questions, and honestly, as we switch to newer and younger owners of Model A's, they need to start realizing that a smaller percentage of owners are knowledgeable from the start.

If you call Bratton's and ask for Tom Kortissis or Tom Turkle you will get advice based on 60+ years of Model A experience and OWNERSHIP. Tom K told me his job at Bratton's is primarily to answer customer questions - not fill orders.
I have been dealing with Mac's for 7 years. When I go to their showroom counter the same guy is always there and IMO knows nothing about A's. He can't find a part on the computer without a part number. He is oblivious to part names, descriptions, etc.
However, regular mailorder service from Mac's has been exellent. Bill G
Bill Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:59 AM   #27
Franchise_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRShaw View Post
Guys - WHY would anyone use Mac's for anything?/ I have done an AACA award winning Late '31 Truck with the help and support of Bratton's. Walt has gone out of his way to be kind and helpful. Another huge plus is being a New York State resident, I have saved quite a bit of taxes over the last 20+ years, far out-shadowing any shipping costs. The service has been outstanding, the responses and shipments excellently sent, phone conversations polite and helpful, etc. I would NOT go to Mac's if it were the last place on earth. They screw you for taxes, shipping (or gas), etc.
I am presently doing a Late '31 Roadster and you can bet your sweet a__ who is getting the patronage!!

Just Sayin...

Joel R. Shaw in Fairport, NY

Hope the IRS doesn't read this post, they may come after you for not claiming all those out of state sales you should be paying tax on
Old 07-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #28
ronn

Have used Macs for years-got tired of the rude inept phone conversations and just started with Snyders-honestly much happier with their products and the speed of shipping and not being told it is on order.................
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #29
hardtimes

Hey Bobby,
At one time or another, we have all had a 'learning curve' relative to purchasing A/B parts. Sounds like you have a legitimate complaint with Mac's. Thanks for having the thought of informing the rest of us. HEY, IT IS NOT BADMOUTHING , IF IT IS TRUE !!
IMO, GOOD alternatives are BERTS and SNYDERS businesses !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #30
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Hesekiel View Post
Mac's has been swallowed by Corvette parts supplier Eckler, who has also swallowed Porsche parts supplier Performance Parts here in California, among others. It's a corporate giant that is expanding, and they invest their money in struggling businesses and use their experience in the parts business and shipping to turn their investment into profits to expand further. It's just a business decision.

I like to compare it to Walmart, where it comes down to the bottom line. The cheapest Chinese parts, at cut-throat prices, to hurt the competition. Macs uses very aggressive marketing, so aggressive that all of their spam goes right into my junk mail box by default.

Folks, like buying nuts and bolts at the hardware store in town instead of Lowe's or Home Depot, if we can help it, we owe it to ourselves to buy our parts from that small business that is run by enthusiasts who go out of their way to help us out. If we have to pay a buck more for the same part once in a while, so be it, and I consider it smart business. If we allow the giant to squeeze the small businesses out of business, as Walmart does it, we'll be stuck with Mac's, who then will raise prices and show us the erected middle finger constantly. Whomever you buy your Model A parts from, don't buy them from Mac's unless you absolutely must because it's out of stock everywhere and you can't afford to wait.
If true, this information explains Mac's attention/behavior towards Model A hobbyist !! No longer have time for such..all about bottom line,eh !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #31
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangarb7 View Post
Again, thanks for sharing. Last week I had a disappointing experience with Snyders, yet what they recommended was correct and the parts were delivered the next day.

I had called to not only order but to ask a question; the fellow they switched me to (clearly an older fellow) was rude because he had to answer more than one question.

Since this was a specific body question, at one point I asked if he had done the install of this part himself, and I guess that was a bit too far because the question and answer period was over! How dare I ask that?!

However, in six years I have received most everything that I have ordered on time and correctly. I will continue to buy from Snyders but will experiment with Berts just to get familiar with them. I think I need someone more personable to answer questions, and honestly, as we switch to newer and younger owners of Model A's, they need to start realizing that a smaller percentage of owners are knowledgeable from the start.

While I was not there to observe both sides of the conversation, let me just say it this way. In all likelihood you spoke with Tom Jordan, ...and while he might have seemed "brash", he really is a genuinely nice and knowledgeable individual. Something to ponder that might be in his defense is tech advise is not his only job at Snyders. Getting orders filled is, --and you never know if Tom reluctantly dropped what he was doing to help you out yet had 10 other critical things on hold because of it. Knowing how Tom is, I truthfully would just chock it up to a stressful moment for him and not think about it again. He really IS a nice guy, ...and remember that he gets MANY questions a day from employees and customers who need immediate answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
Brent:

Your question is a good one. In my case I realized these parts from Mac's are likely the same parts furnished by other suppliers as well. So price was the underlying issue when I ordered these parts from them.

When I had problems with the parts quality I asked specific questions when ordering from Bert's. They knew exactly what I was asking about when these questions were asked. The parts they offered were much better quality.
That is not always a factual statement, and in reality there are many more items out there that have multiple suppliers for. Just like WalMart and Target both carry Toasters, never assume they are the same product and the same quality. I generally think of Macs as wanting to distribute the WalMart-quality merchandise.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #32
Spokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise_24 View Post
I always hear about their shipping being so slow and it taking weeks to get orders out. How can the popular ones (Snyders, Brattons, Mikes, Berts, etc) get things shipped out the same day you order? I seriously doubt Macs is busier than all the others. If I order from Snyders or Brattons in the morning, it is on my door step the next day. Love service like that.
I have also ordered from the suppliers you listed. Never had a problem !!!
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:35 PM   #33
1931 flamingo

Many complaints on the EV8 forum about Mac's shipping charges. Four and a half years ago, before I knew I ordered a few parts from Mac's, not thrilled with quality. Then I discovered thru here Bratton's and Snyder's and Berts. They are my sources now. A&L is 20 miles away, so I go there also, what great service AND they let me "wander".

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:44 PM   #34
olut

I purchased parts from MACs since Feb/2014 for at least 6.000,- Only once a tiny piece went lost and has been resend without any fuzz. All shipping was to Austria, had luckily never any issues. Also communication via email was smooth and easy, have no reason to complain..

But I also order specific and essential parts with demand of perfect quality from other sources...

Cheers
Albert
Old 07-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #35
JohninKuranda

I have tried a number of US suppliers and have been disappointed by all on occassion. Macs currently threatens me with the possibility of a USD$70 freight charge (will let me know if more than this!) on any item regardless of the cost. Emails to seek a confirmed freight cost to Australia have gone unanswered. That really makes me want to buy...not!

I once asked Snyders a tech question regarding my Model A and was told that I had only ever bought some Model T parts from them in response. Great way to get me to purchase A parts!

Probably the best service, both in price, freight and in answering all email queries has been from Mikes - but it is a limited range.

I will be trying out Brattons and Berts in the future though.
JohninKuranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #36
oj

I rarely purchase from Macs' - I believe that he who advertises the most is because he needs to and I get catalogs etc from them regularly.
For Model 'A' I go to Brattons, you call there a get a little old lady and if she can't help she'll set the phone down and you'll hear her walk out to the shop and one of the guys will come back to help you out.
I won't need to deal with anybody in customer service if they send me what I need and Brattons' has never let me down.
oj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #37
Allanw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRShaw View Post
Guys - WHY would anyone use Mac's for anything?
Of the places I emailed about parts and getting them shipped to NZ, Macs was the ONLY place that replied at all. The parts I haven't got locally, came from Macs, no problems.
"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"
Allanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:38 PM   #38
ronn

"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"

Allenw-dont think anyone could hear you..............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:41 PM   #39
TDO

I can't under stand with all the classic cars in other country's, why don't you have your own suppliers. Seems to me it would pay you all to start one.
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #40
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Sure would be interesting to see what Mac's has to say about all this!

Hmmmmmmmmm??????

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote