Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-21-2019, 09:12 AM   #1
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Interior Panel Templates, Late 30 Closed Cab PU

Are tracings/templates available to construct your own interior panels?
Door cards, windshield header/ window/ cowl-kick panels/etc.

I tried searching here, and looked in a couple of catalogues including the upholstery vendors - No luck.

If yes, would save me trying to make my own templates.

The ones in my truck are either missing, or in super sad shape. It is a driver, so not concerned about not being up to judging standards.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:26 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Interior Panel Templates, Late 30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Are tracings/templates available to construct your own interior panels?
Door cards, windshield header/ window/ cowl-kick panels/etc.

I tried searching here, and looked in a couple of catalogues including the upholstery vendors - No luck.

If yes, would save me trying to make my own templates.

The ones in my truck are either missing, or in super sad shape. It is a driver, so not concerned about not being up to judging standards.

Both LeBaron Bonney & Cartouche carry them.

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_m...up-428894.html

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:06 AM   #3
30 Closed Cab PU

[QUOTE=BRENT in 10-uh-C;1718466]Both LeBaron Bonney & Cartouche carry them.

Thanks Brent, I did see those, was hoping to find something at lower cost, perhaps someone has them that would have done it themselves and be willing to share at a lower cost, perhaps tracings on paper.

These will do, prefer not to spend the money on something I will use once as a pattern, then have sit in the garage.

Thanks again.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:56 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

[QUOTE=30 Closed Cab PU;1718480]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Both LeBaron Bonney & Cartouche carry them.

Thanks Brent, I did see those, was hoping to find something at lower cost, perhaps someone has them that would have done it themselves and be willing to share at a lower cost, perhaps tracings on paper.

These will do, prefer not to spend the money on something I will use once as a pattern, then have sit in the garage.

Thanks again.

I don't know what you are expecting but these are not patterns, ...these are the actual panels that you will/would cover with your material.

If you are trying to be frugal enough to save every dime you can, then go purchase posterboard from WalMart and tape them together to make your templates. Then purchase panelboard online (better order a couple of extra because you will likely make a boo-boo or two which renders them unusable for doing a nice job) and go to transferring all the holes and borders.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 01-21-2019, 11:19 AM   #5
30 Closed Cab PU

[QUOTE=BRENT in 10-uh-C;1718503]
Quote:

I don't know what you are expecting but these are not patterns, ...these are the actual panels that you will/would cover with your material.

If you are trying to be frugal enough to save every dime you can, then go purchase posterboard from WalMart and tape them together to make your templates. Then purchase panelboard online (better order a couple of extra because you will likely make a boo-boo or two which renders them unusable for doing a nice job) and go to transferring all the holes and borders.
Thanks again Brent for your input.

Yes I do understand they are not really patterns, but they could be used as patterns.

That is pretty much my plan. I am have been considering the poster board as you mentioned, or perhaps the stuff in this link.
https://www.perfectfit.com/15347/Chi...anelboard.html
The above link was supplied to me from another A enthusiast that did his truck with what is in the link.
Am looking for patterns, without having to perform the trial and error method of developing my own patterns - being lazy.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:40 PM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

The above link shows chipboard and panelboard. I just went downstairs and shot the pictures of the thickness difference between the chipboard (the brown board) vs. the panelboard (the black board). Hopefully this shows how flimsy the chipboard is. You would not want to use the chipboard for anything on your truck other than possibly templating the vehicle.

Next question, what sewing machine you gonna use??

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0811.jpg (31.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0812.jpg (29.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0813.jpg (33.4 KB, 37 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 01-21-2019, 01:05 PM   #7
30 Closed Cab PU

Hello again Brent,
I am not planning on using the chip board, but using the black panel board. Also not planning on covering it with fabric or other. The panel bd looks stiffer in you picture, that's OK. The spec on the website says it is 1/8 inch think.. I think that is OK too, if not I will just glue 2 layers together.

Am I missing something, do not think I need to sew anything? If I need to, this site has some trim edging, but you have to buy a large roll. I will come up with something else if needed. Again this is for a driver, will never be judged. Has a little rust on the running boards, paint not great. I call it a 50 footer, looks decent from 50 feet. If I restored the interior to show quality it would look out of place.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:01 PM   #8
denniskliesen

Brent, Perfect Fit have panel board waterproof in black and kraft. I've used both and they are both the same thickness.

In my experience, The kraft holds the flatness better than the black when working with it cutting holes and boarders. The original rear panels in my 29 Tudor were similar to the kraft, somewhat more of a pink color. Using either of these color panels you NEVER want to use masking tape to hold material to the surface otherwise it peels off the protective surface. On the edges I would recommend sealing the edges where the boarders are.

30 Closed Cab PU, I used more or less a center punch I made from either 1/4" or 5/16" bolts machined the head of the bolt to a point. Taped the bolt with the pointed head sticking out from the door shell, held the panel up and tapped the panel with a body hammer to leave a center mark for a hole location. I measured the door and cut the panel a couple inches wider and higher, temporarily held the panel in place using the holes, and marked the panel on the back side. I just kept trimming the panel until I got it to the size I wanted. Sanded the edges to get a flatter surface with a block and sealed the edges.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:00 PM   #9
30 Closed Cab PU

Hi Dennis,
Thanks for the tips/advice. Is the panel board you used a consistent color through out the material, or is it coated with the finish color? Another way of saying what I am asking. If for some reason the surface is scratched or worn through, what is the color? I will not be covering mine.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2019, 08:05 AM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Hi Dennis,
Thanks for the tips/advice. Is the panel board you used a consistent color through out the material, or is it coated with the finish color? Another way of saying what I am asking. If for some reason the surface is scratched or worn through, what is the color? I will not be covering mine.

Thanks

If you are going this route of not covering with material, just use 0.125" Luan board that you can seal and paint.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com