Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-21-2021, 09:04 PM   #1
lgndlt5

Default Oil filter add to 36 lb?

Would it be possible to add an oil filter return line by tapping into one of the oil pressure sender port(s) on the back of an lb block and more importantly could I run the return line to the fuel pump mount base by adding a return line taped into the oil fill tube or fuel pump, neatly across the back of the engine instead of a return line to the oil pan? Thinking firewall mounted modern spin on type oil filter. Any thoughts has this been tried already? I am assuming that the residual oil pressure through the filter remains pressurized sufficiently to return to the engine there?? Would a restrion orifice in line be required?? Any thoughts are humbly requested. Of Course oil capacity would be adjusted to compensate for oil now contained in the filter Just trying to be neat on my stock 36 4 door. Again 221 LB.
lgndlt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:04 AM   #2
Terry,OH

Default Re: Oil filter add to 36 lb?

Could add return to one of the bolts or studs holding the fuel pump onto the adapter, as was done in 1936. Do not drill and tap the base of the adapter which would add oil to the valve valley and increase oil consumption. The best way is to find a flex return line and the special bolt and copper washers used to return oil to the cover for the timing gears, as was done in 1940. Third Gen Auto has the bolt. Local hardware store for the washers.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:57 AM   #3
Bored&Stroked

You will certainly need a restrictor orifice fitting on the inlet side of the setup - with about a .060 hole in it. If you don't do this, then you have what is essentially one huge oil pressure leak (back to the pan) . . . as the full-flow filter setup was not designed to return oil to the sump (regardless of where you plumbed it).
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:52 PM   #4
lgndlt5

Thank you both or our responses. I remain a bit confused however. How wou rerun oil o he lifter valley cause increased oil consumption? Would it not be ok to route the restricted oil flow down through the bad of the road draft breather which Is the oil fill for the engine? My apologies for not understanding fully I do understand the orifice to minimize oil flow and preventing a large reduction in system pressure Beside trying eliminate all the external plumbing to the oil pan this is an LB which does not have “pressurized” crankcase just an open breather scoop and screen. That serves as the oil fill as well as a breather. Is it that a “full flow” style filter would not work well even with the small restricton orific in place on the feed side of the filter? My apologies for still being confused. Is it that the restriction orifice must be on the output side of the filter. This will sound like a contradiction this 1936 sedan is a very original “ barn find” that I am not going to restore but maintain as a reliable driver focused on maintaining as is. Paint ok not perfect, not missing parts just needs to be maintained etc. Using non-detergent oil but would like to not modify anything just maintain and upkeep. If this is not viable please let me know. It removing the oil pan but sure would like to filter the oil thanks to all that offer direction apologies for my continued confusion. And Thank youall who may offer a reply or advice!
Old 09-22-2021, 06:58 PM   #5
lgndlt5

Sorry mistyped I am not going to remove the oil pan to plumb a drain line. Can’t do that heavy work anymore. I hate spellcheck and old fat fingers.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:26 PM   #6
Lawson Cox

Plumb it as original, as suggested by Terry Ohio. It sounds like you have a nice old original survivor. The oil filters back in the day weren't all that efficient in the first place. Just change oil and then change the oil regularly. It has survived for 85 years without a filter, it should work just fine without one for many years to come. If you want a firewall spin on filter, get a modern car. Stick with era technology. My 2¢.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:07 PM   #7
tubman

I would advise against using non-detergent oil in anything for which it is not specifically required.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:31 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Without a lot of modifications, the oil filter needs to be a by-pass type, with the restricter
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 05:32 AM   #9
dean333

Send a message via Yahoo to dean333

I have a complete filter set up with lines, restricter and even a new filter than I removed from the 59AB that’s in my 34. You can have it for $40 plus the shipping. Sold it today! I found another in my stash today, just the filter however.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E05B0F29-A78B-47A5-ADF5-6821DD1C9FA4.jpg (21.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 9CCCCAFD-BC22-4C9A-BD0E-16EECBF0953D.jpg (23.7 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by dean333; 09-26-2021 at 11:05 AM.
dean333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:19 AM   #10
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
Plumb it as original, as suggested by Terry Ohio. It sounds like you have a nice old original survivor. The oil filters back in the day weren't all that efficient in the first place. Just change oil and then change the oil regularly. It has survived for 85 years without a filter, it should work just fine without one for many years to come. If you want a firewall spin on filter, get a modern car. Stick with era technology. My 2¢.
Lawson, I am with you on this one.
Just change the oil every year or 500 miles, whichever comes first. That old flatty will outlast us without a filter being added.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:31 PM   #11
Kurt in NJ

For a bypass type spin on filter a gram pb50, it has a built in orfice
There was a original accessory oil filter, it was a canister mounted on the head with flexible hoses, it returned through a hollow special fuel pump bolt
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote