Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2021, 09:29 PM   #1
Rob Doe

Default Why in the H does the muffler not line up with the exhaust manifold?

When I had my car as a 15 year old, I had difficulty with the muffler not lining up to the manifold. And I remember very well the clearance problem with the wrench on the back nut and the interference of the the oil return tube. But this time I had a jack to hold it up almost in place. You'd think it would have been easy. Mr. Shinn's video made it look so easy. When I finished and grabbed up my tools, I felt like my little bug-eyed beauty had just out wrestled me...Is modern concrete somehow harder than 1960's concrete?

Is there a secret that I should know about regarding the bend in the muffler where it turns vertical to mate to the exhaust manifold? Both as a 15 year old and this afternoon as an old f@rt, it looks to me that the bend is inaccurate by 3 or four degrees. Does this by chance move when hot or something?

Remember, you guys said it was okay to ask these dumb questions, right?
Old 05-11-2021, 09:38 PM   #2
1crosscut

Default Re: Why in the H does the muffler not line up with the exhaust manifold?

I've had to open the bend up on some by placing it in my bench vice and giving it a serious tug or two. Also leaving the tail pipe clamp off or at least very loose during the installation will help too.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:47 PM   #3
Benson

Default Re: Why in the H does the muffler not line up with the exhaust manifold?

As mentioned above: Before attempting to install the muffler pipe to the manifold it is a good idea to loosen the clamp at the rear of the pipe.

Also Service Bulletin page 327 covers a new style clamp and a new hole that is drilled in the frame to correctly install the new clamp. There are two diagrams showing the new clamp and where to drill the new hole.

The larger vendors have a Repro of the new style clamp.

Many cars still have the old style clamp and the holes in the frame are wrong.

Also the front clamp is in two pieces.

1, It is possible to install the clamp upside down which will allow the muffler to fall off.

2. The clamp can also be installed with one half right side up and the other upside down. In this case it will hold better than step "1." above, but may fall off.

If you look at clamp with the bolts installed and not on the muffler or manifold the top of clamp is slightly larger inner diameter than the bottom.

Some of the cheap clone mufflers have a flange that is too small and the clamp can not hold the muffler correctly.

The Aries muffler is the best fitting Repro muffler.

http://www.amuffler.com/products.html

Last edited by Benson; 05-11-2021 at 10:06 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:50 PM   #4
burner31

Heat...gravity and almost 90 years will tend to do that.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:40 AM   #5
Patrick L.

To add to the above, I've stuck a pipe in the pipe to 'warp' it a bit to make that angle a little more better.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:41 AM   #6
Ed in Maine

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I have supported the muffle/exhaust pipe on a carboard box with the rear support bolt very loose of even off. Then I installed the muffler clamp and moderately tightened it in place. Then go back and position the tail pipe and insert the supporting bolt into the frame. I do not make this connection dead tight so that the exhaust pipe can expand and contract. If there is some stress on the exhaust system after assembly, I think it will be relieved when the exhaust system gets up to temperature. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:47 AM   #7
katy

Due to heat, the rear of the manifold sags over the years causing it to not line up properly with a new muffler/exhaust pipe assembly.
Old 05-12-2021, 12:55 PM   #8
nkaminar

I will second what Benson said. I put a new exhaust system on my car after taking the custom exhaust headers and exhaust system off. I put the rear clamp on up side down and couldn't get the exhaust pipe to line up with the exhaust manifold. It is easy to put the clamp on up side down. After correcting the rear clamp and leaving it loose, I was able to get exhaust pipe to line up. I use a floor jack to support the muffler/pipe when attaching the connector at the exhaust manifold.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:22 PM   #9
Herb Concord Ca

I had to do what Patrick said, placed a pipe in the the muffler inlet to give it a slight bend, in my case I had to move the pipe forward, increased the angle.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:29 PM   #10
mrraford

Welcome to the Model A hobby!

Vendors sell a tube that is inserted into the entrance of the pipe and up into the manifold. Makes the "mating" task much easier.
I use these devices in my cars. In addition, it helps reduce exhaust leakage.
mrraford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:29 PM   #11
mrraford

Welcome to the Model A hobby!

Vendors sell a tube that is inserted into the entrance of the pipe and up into the manifold. Makes the "mating" task much easier.
I use these devices in my cars. In addition, it helps reduce exhaust leakage.
mrraford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 03:49 PM   #12
Rob Doe

Thanks to all.

As of this morning, I cut a small slice out of the bottom half plus a little more and then bent the front of the pipe opening up that misaligned bend. Tacked it with my Tig welder in 2 places and put it on the car for a test fit. Got lucky, the darned thing lined up nearly perfect! Took it off and welded it up. Put it on and drove the car.

I'll consider this thread closed with a successful resolution.

P.S. I think I'm gonna try that muffler camp that doesn't require the nuts on the back.

Last edited by Rob Doe; 05-23-2021 at 01:11 PM.
Rob Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 03:58 PM   #13
Anteek29

Happy closure report - thanks, Rob!
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 04:23 PM   #14
john in illinois

Good fix.

John