Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-02-2015, 07:22 PM   #1
diyforever

Default Radiator cap not fit, anyone have similar problem?

I ordered and received new radiator cap model A-8100-B. Seems that it bottoms out at the radiator shell and therefore cannot get it to grab the radiator neck. Has anyone had similar problem and if so what is generally done. I guess cut 1/4 inch from cap or grind shell neck to allow cap to fit or are there other caps or ......Appreciate your thoughts
diyforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:08 PM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Radiator cap not fit, anyone have similar problem?

what cap did you have on previously? the cap you purchased is well made and should fit. did you change the radiator or shell? you shouldn't have to grind anything
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:14 PM   #3
diyforever

The original cap was not the right one. It basically stayed on the neck by luck. Completely rusted and no tabs to grab the radiator neck. Reminds me of a flat gas cap. Came with the car. I had the radiator rodded out and hoping to put a good cap on it. I checked space between shell and radiator and there is no space. Shell completely rests on radiator.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:44 PM   #4
Barber31

I had a similar problem but my remedy may not be what you're interested in doing. It seemed the cap would go down the radiator neck but bottom out on the radiator shell before the tabs could even reach the notches on the inner radiator neck. So instead of cutting the cap shorter I just "unfolded" the inner neck of the radiator. I basically brought the tabs higher up out of the radiator. It did the trick and no problems that I can see but that might be frowned upon by some. My radiator will eventually be replaced so it wasn't to big of a deal for me.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:55 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Seems like the original owner had the same problem hence the cap used. Sound like a reproduction radiator with a neck that is too short or the pads in the bottom of the radiator are missing so the shell is resting on the cross member and the radiator is sitting too low.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:44 AM   #6
diyforever

Wondering if there is another type of cap that I can use while I figure out the real problem. Not sure I should run car w/o cap...
Old 01-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #7
Ron Lachniet

I had the same problem with mine. I think some after market radiators were not the same. I just cut some off the bottom of the cap until it fit. Once the cap is on you can't tell the difference.
Ron Lachniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:29 AM   #8
Big hammer

Post #4 and or fiddle with cap tabs I think that's what I had to do
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:58 AM   #9
Mitch//pa
BANNED

alot has to do with the quality of the replacement radiator or if it has a repo shell which wont fit correctly. sawing or bending things is usually the option at that point but dont run it without a cap or a losse fitting one. my replacement 1930 Bergs radiator with original shell fits like a glove all the way around. no problems with the same cap you purchased or with a motometer
Old 01-03-2015, 11:59 AM   #10
bambooboy

my trk came with a chrome rad shell(on front seat)when I got around to installing it,i had your same problem.i used a small 3 corner file all around top of shell.prob took off 1/4".mine was thin material,so was easy job. tom
bambooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:41 PM   #11
diyforever

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. This forum is awesome. I'm probably over thinking it but leaning towards cutting the $19.95 cap little at a time till fits. Shell and radiator are a little more expensive. Will cut with cutting wheel and hope cap doesn't burn and discolor...
Old 01-05-2015, 09:28 PM   #12
P.S.

I ordered a repro (Vintique) radiator cap for an all original 29 fordor. The cap came today, and like yours, does not fit. Same problem. However, the repro cap hits the "ledge" before the threads grab. I think the repro threads just don't start soon enough.

Looking at the original cap, the threads go almost clear down to the bottom whereas the repro has no threads for the bottom 1/4" of the cap.

And, before you guys climb all over me about putting a repro cap on an original car... A previous owner drilled the original cap for a motometer. It's all rusted and gross, so I wanted to go back to a stock cap without a motometer.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:55 PM   #13
LopezCarguy

same thing I had with the repot radiator shell..I think only solution is to take it off and grind back edge down so shell sits level and then radiator cap will bottom out evenly..Dick
Old 01-05-2015, 10:01 PM   #14
Purdy Swoft

The A-8100-B radiator cap is the tabbed 30-31 stainless steel style cap . If the cap is Vintique brand, that may be the problem . The repro Eaton caps are pretty good . If its an Eaton the cap probably is not the problem. There is a concave spacer that solders between the upper tank and the radiator neck. If the neck was removed and replaced and the spacer was left off, the cap will never fit . If the cap is the threaded 28-29 style A-8100-A chromed style , The threads never reach for me . I always have to grind a good bit off the bottom of the cap for the cap to reach the threads and tighten up .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:03 AM   #15
Drive Shaft Dave

Thumbs up Re: Radiator cap not fit, anyone have similar problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
The A-8100-B radiator cap is the tabbed 30-31 stainless steel style cap . If the cap is Vintique brand, that may be the problem . The repro Eaton caps are pretty good . If its an Eaton the cap probably is not the problem. There is a concave spacer that solders between the upper tank and the radiator neck. If the neck was removed and replaced and the spacer was left off, the cap will never fit . If the cap is the threaded 28-29 style A-8100-A chromed style , The threads never reach for me . I always have to grind a good bit off the bottom of the cap for the cap to reach the threads and tighten up .
Purdy, I am having trouble picturing in my mind about the concave spacer that solders between the upper tank and radiator neck. Do you have a photo or diagram of this. Thanks , Dave
Drive Shaft Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:03 AM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

The 1928-9 threaded cap is made from two pieces of brass soldered together, and can't rust. I also have an example of the same cap, except it's made from chrome plated steel, so I'm sure it's an older reproduction cap.

Bert's probably has a good original nickel plate brass cap, or mint restored ones show up at the national meets.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:38 AM   #17
Mitch//pa
BANNED

the part # listed in the OP is a-8100-b is the eaton cap. i never had a problem with those fitting either
Old 01-06-2015, 08:12 AM   #18
George Miller

Along with what ever one else said. My 30 truck has a original radiator, and a original shell from a car. The cap would not fit. What I found was the shell was raised up at the top from the braces pulling back to much. They were pulling against the hood so hard that it raised the shell just a little. Adjusted them and the cap fit.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:42 AM   #19
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
The 1928-9 threaded cap is made from two pieces of brass soldered together, and can't rust. I also have an example of the same cap, except it's made from chrome plated steel, so I'm sure it's an older reproduction cap.

Bert's probably has a good original nickel plate brass cap, or mint restored ones show up at the national meets.
I should elaborate.

The hardware used to attach the motometer was some cheap stuff and it is what has rusted and caused the brass cap to react with it and corrode to the point of material loss. Its not salvageable.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:34 AM   #20
Tom Wesenberg

I think Dan Bixby has very nice restored caps, but I don't have his contact information.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote