Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-08-2017, 06:37 PM   #21
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Buying an out of state car on the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Young View Post
Oh, I know what I want, Fred ... I'm looking for a sedan, 2 or 4 door, that has been restored and well maintained. (Wife's pretty picky about the color, too). We did Hershey a few days ago. Saw a few gorgeous cars but with gorgeous prices.
We are making progress. What year and what color? The Tudor sedans were basically all steel. The floorboards were wood, the top bows for the the insert were wood, the header was wood, there were wood tack strips for the upholstery and there was wood in the seat frames. The Fordors were another story. Everything that was wood on the Tudors was wood on the Fordors. In addition there was a lot of structural wood in the door frames. The structure for the floor was wood. A lot of the structure for attaching the body panels was wood. There is one exception for the Fordors. During the 1931 production year they changed the design to make the Fordor mostly steel like all of the Tudors. This design also included a slanted windshield and no sun visor on the outside (they added sun visors inside of the car), thus these were called the slant window sedans. If you get a Fordor I would recommend the slant window. If you do get a straight window Fordor be sure all the wood is solid and the doors close easily as the wood can get very expensive to replace.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:55 PM   #22
mrtexas

The first Model A I bought, a 29 roadster had thick bondo on every body panel and I drove 450 miles to look at it, not knowing what I was doing. I later sold it to a local guy who is happy as can be with it. I completely restored it however. He didn't check the sheet metal for bondo making the same mistake I made. Sometimes you get lucky.

The best way to buy is in person if you know what you are doing, if not have a knowledgeable person inspect it specific to Model As and better specific to the particular model. IMHO a generic antique car inspector won't do it for a Model A. The second best way is to buy from an honest person who actually did the restoration. By the answers to the questions you ask I think you can gauge whether a seller is honest. He can tell you exactly what he did and what is meant by restored. I bought a good early 28 roadster pickup by pictures but later discovered the driver's side door had a rather large crack in it where they usually crack from slamming the door. The passenger door was bondo for the bottom two inches. The 5/8 inch drive starter was for a later car and while it would turn the engine over it would not disengage as the flywheel requires an early 1/2 inch driver starter. The owner inherited it from his uncle and knew nothing about the car.

I later sold the 28 truck to a guy sight unseen. I provided lots of pictures and the truck had had all the defects I could find corrected and nearly every piece restored in some way, new paint and interior. The buyer later discovered there were no shocks on the car. I had provided pictures that showed no shocks but I guess he overlooked those. If he had asked I would have told him they weren't there. The buyer didn't ask any questions but I think my restoration was very thorough although not restored to a particular date with lots of very rare early parts. I would have answered any and all questions about the restoration but none were asked. The seller insisted on bargaining down from what I thought was a very low price. Well he didn't get all the spare parts I was intending to include for my asking price. I got more for the parts than the $500 he insisted on bargaining me down for. https://28fordarpickup.weebly.com/

Last edited by mrtexas; 10-08-2017 at 07:16 PM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:59 PM   #23
jim1932

You couldn't find a nice Model A for $20k at hershey?????

You don't need the internet for distance, you do to find them. PA, NY and WV have them frequently. Craigslist for Harrisburg, baltimore and Binghamton shows 5 good cars all under 20K
Old 10-08-2017, 07:45 PM   #24
Wilbur

Dave. Just be patient and keep looking locally. There are many, many cars within a 3 hours drive of you , just sitting in garages, as their current owners have become too old to use them or have passed away. They come up all the time. Craigslist is a good source as are estate sales. I live near Atlantic City and know of quite a few sitting, not for sale "yet". I'll keep an ear out for you, as will anyone else who has read this post. $15K seems a reasonable target to get a fully operational car, but needing the usual battery and tires. It just so happens that we share the same name! Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ
Wilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:04 PM   #25
CarlG

I bought my pickup on eBay. Had it shipped from Southern California to Alaska. I was pleasantly pleased with both the condition of the vehicle and the shipping, (price as well as care they gave the vehicle in transit).

I wasn't very pleased with the seller for shipping it with plain water in the radiator, (in February), but that's a whole nuther story.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:43 PM   #26
flan30

Dave I've spent the last two years searching craig's list and I can tell you everyone has their own idea of what mint condition is, or what no rust or rot is. your spending a lot of money on a car so make sure its up to your standards. Enjoy the hunt even though my search is over I miss the road trips with my wife and son looking for the Model A of my dreams.
flan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:43 AM   #27
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

since you live in a rural area for know the saying about a pig in a poke.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:37 AM   #28
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Re: Buying an out of state car on the internet

Some folks need to see a car in person before they pull the trigger & buy it.

Other folks use the internet to find a car that suits their needs.

If you were at Hershey and prepared to buy a car but didn't because of prices,
that would suggest perhaps that you are not willing to pay for the car that you want.

Just an observation.

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:49 AM   #29
Ford Acar

I have successfully evaluated and pre-purchased several interstate ,and far distant cars, over the years, sight unseen, using a refundable deposit arrangement that includes a "condition precedent" of buyer approval after inspection. This allows a secured interest in the car, subject to your personal inspection.
It works, and is valid in Australia. You would need to ascertain if this complies with the laws in USA.
PM me if you would like the contract.
Ford Acar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:06 AM   #30
smittykid

Dave,
I am a Pa. resident as well. I have purchased several vintage cars(including Model A's) from out of state. Where in Pa. are you located? Shoot me a PM and we can discuss the matter further.
smittykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:17 AM   #31
Rex_A_Lott

PM sent, Good Luck.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:20 AM   #32
62pan

If you live in Lebanon County contact the Lehigh Valley Model A Club. They put on a good show each spring at Hellertown and at least 75 Model A's show up. I would start there for advice.
62pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:42 AM   #33
ronn

I can buy a heck of a tudor for 20k..................

surprised this was a problem at Hershey.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:25 AM   #34
TerryH

Not every restored Model A on the internet has been poorly done or misrepresented; many are, but there are also some very nicely done cars. I bought my 1930 Town Sedan from a gentleman in rural New York, who had spent 10 years on a total frame off restoration....and the wood was all good. I also used Passport to have the car delivered to S. California, and it cost $2,000 11 years ago, but I was very pleased with the service & having my car in a totally enclosed trailer. My car was listed on Hemings website, and I have never regretted buying it. It was $18,000 and worth every penny, getting a Model A that was properly restored and running, and needing nothing other than a few touring mods.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:13 AM   #35
1931 flamingo

If you find one you're interested in, come back here and give location and see if somebody on the Barn is nearby and could give a "look" for you.
There are also "professional" inspectors all over the country (ck Hemming's) that for a modest fee will inspect the car for you and issue a report.
There are also people here on the Barn (Truly Vintage, highly recommended) that will enclosed transport for you at reasonable prices.
Good luck in your search. My late 31 Deluxe tudor is For Sale
13,500 or reasonable offer, see Avitar.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:09 PM   #36
leo

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned paying for an appraisal as a way to examine a car from a long distance. It may cost $250 but may save you a trip for nothing too. The only caveat I would have is to find someone reputable who has experience with whatever type of vehicle they would have to inspect.
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:32 PM   #37
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned paying for an appraisal as a way to examine a car from a long distance. It may cost $250 but may save you a trip for nothing too. The only caveat I would have is to find someone reputable who has experience with whatever type of vehicle they would have to inspect.
Check posts 17 and 29 and others.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:41 AM   #38
panhead_pete

Start by placing a wanted ad here in the classifieds.

Thanks
panhead_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:51 AM   #39
Bruce of MN

https://www.uship.com/ is an option for shipping.

If you rent a trailer, make sure that you tie the car down well. This https://www.hagerty.com/assets/PDF/T...ngPamphlet.pdf looks like a good guide.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:37 AM   #40
barkleydave

Amazing folks are willing to spend 20K on a car sight unseen but refuse to spend a few hundred bucks to travel to see it! Buyer Beware! I brought a very experienced Model A owner with me to look at mine. I paid his expenses "meals etc" Worth every penny! Join a club most of us love to travel to check out cars!
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote