Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-18-2018, 09:36 AM   #1
junkyardjeff

Default PCV systems on the smallblocks

I grabbed some parts off a 63 galaxie with a 260 that had the PCV on the intake,yesterday I was in a local old junkyard gathering the rest of the parts to make the 302 look older and found that most 64 and up had the PCV in the pass side valve cover and then I found a 65 Fairlane that had a road draft tube attached to the pass valve cover.I thought all motors had to have a PCV around 62 or 63 so was 65 the last year for a road draft tube.
junkyardjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:46 AM   #2
KULTULZ

Post Re: PCV systems on the smallblocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardjeff View Post

I grabbed some parts off a 63 galaxie with a 260 that had the PCV on the intake,yesterday I was in a local old junkyard gathering the rest of the parts to make the 302 look older and found that most 64 and up had the PCV in the pass side valve cover and then I found a 65 Fairlane that had a road draft tube attached to the pass valve cover.I thought all motors had to have a PCV around 62 or 63 so was 65 the last year for a road draft tube.
As for CCV (Crankcase Ventilation), it depended on the area of the country whether a car/light truck had to have either. A car in CA or NY would require PCV where a state such as WY or MT might not.

FOMOCO assembled them as cheaply as possible to meet area emission law(s).

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:41 AM   #3
Ole Don

Default Re: PCV systems on the smallblocks

Yes, where it was to be sold new had a great deal to do with original equipment. Being from Minnesota, all the cars I saw had a battery that was a big grunt to lift, and a radiator the size of a big heater core. While scrounging a junk yard while in Oklahoma in the mid sixties, I found radiators big enough to cool a truck, and a battery that I could throw to the county line. Later, while working on the motor line at Ford, I found that alternator size, fan size, and other things that were different from place to place.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 03:44 PM   #4
BW

Yes I think 65 was the last year.
BW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:23 PM   #5
junkyardjeff

I never seen a road draft tube on car that new.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:19 AM   #6
V8 Bob

I can't find any pictures or evidence of any regular US production ford V8 using road draft tubes after '61, and certainly not in '65. What was found on that Fairlane was most likely someone's cobble job ventilation system.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:27 AM   #7
junkyardjeff

I have a 292 from a 62 galaxie that has a road draft tube and figured that was about the last year,I grabbed all the PCV parts from a 292 in a 63 or 64 truck in a junkyard.Maybe the 65 had a earlier motor but I think the 62 and I know the 63 small blocks had the ventilation system hooked to the rear of the intake,the 65 had the tube hooked to the valve cover where a PCV would go and was a factory part.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:12 AM   #8
robib

I have a friend who bought a 1965 Comet with an A code 289 4bbl brand new. Still has the car and the road draft tube that came with it. The road draft tube was attached to the right side valve cover. This car was delivered in Long Island, NY. So the answer is, yes some 1965 Fords came with a road draft crankcase ventilation system.
robib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:49 AM   #9
BW

Back to Back, My friends 65 Comet 289 2bbl has a road draft tube. His Grandmother bought new at Mc Coy Ford Lincoln Mercury. So we have two Comets in row!
BW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:00 AM   #10
V8 Bob

Anybody have any pictures of the '65 road drafts?
Old 03-19-2018, 09:13 AM   #11
KULTULZ

Question Re: PCV systems on the smallblocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Bob View Post

I can't find any pictures or evidence of any regular US production ford V8 using road draft tubes after '61, and certainly not in '65. What was found on that Fairlane was most likely someone's cobble job ventilation system.
What he found is OEM (actually need good photo). Whether the car got either system depended entirely on the ENGINE CALIBRATION.

The road draft tube (and PCV valve were moved to the rocker cover in later production as it was a more efficient design. The rocker cover road draft will/should have the oil fill/ventilation cat (open system) on the left rocker cover.

Below is an early production MUST with road draft provision. Both road draft and PCV used the same intake for the period.

All for the want of a BLACK ink cartridge...

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 03-19-2018, 09:54 AM   #12
V8 Bob

OK, you've convinced me. Just real odd Ford would switch to a pcv on the soon-to-be out of production 292" Y-block, along with the FE (and maybe others) in '61/'62, but would use the road draft on a brand new engine family all the way to '65.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:05 AM   #13
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: PCV systems on the smallblocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Bob View Post

OK, you've convinced me.

Just real odd Ford would switch to a pcv on the soon-to-be out of production 292" Y-block, along with the FE (and maybe others) in '61/'62, but would use the road draft on a brand new engine family all the way to '65.
I just wish I could post more info but am waiting for printer ink.

FORD actually first offered PCV in the 1960 model year, a model year earlier than the CA requirement. As for the 292, it had to comply with differing area emission law(s) so it was fitted with PCV. That is why it is so confusing as the engines were built/calibrated for where the vehicle was to be sold.

Either FORD had to bring the 292 into compliance or was not allowed to sell the 292 equipped vehicle in CA for instance.

You are a tech guy.

Here Is Some Interesting Reading- https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/....1967.10468958

THANX for the discussion...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 03-19-2018, 10:09 AM   #14
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardjeff View Post

I grabbed some parts off a 63 galaxie with a 260 that had the PCV on the intake,yesterday I was in a local old junkyard gathering the rest of the parts to make the 302 look older...
I always loved SLEEPERS. Open the hood and show the guys (usual suspect chebbie and NoPar owners) your antique looking install, they laugh and put their money up and you drive to the bank.

...sigh...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 03-19-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:10 AM   #15
V8 Bob

Thanks KULTULZ. Interesting read.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:00 PM   #16
junkyardjeff

I think the next time I am there I will grab that road draft tube and valve covers,do not know if I would ever use the tube but who knows what will happen.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:01 PM   #17
junkyardjeff

That PCV system I got from the 63 260 bolts where this road draft tube attaches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
What he found is OEM (actually need good photo). Whether the car got either system depended entirely on the ENGINE CALIBRATION.

The road draft tube (and PCV valve were moved to the rocker cover in later production as it was a more efficient design. The rocker cover road draft will/should have the oil fill/ventilation cat (open system) on the left rocker cover.

Below is an early production MUST with road draft provision. Both road draft and PCV used the same intake for the period.

All for the want of a BLACK ink cartridge...
Old 03-19-2018, 05:56 PM   #18
KULTULZ

Correct. the intake was cast to accept either system.

Is this engine a 2V or 4V?

I would show you a photo of a period SHELBY TIGER ALUM 4V intake but your heart may not be able to take it...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 03-19-2018, 08:12 PM   #19
junkyardjeff

It came from a 2 bbl motor.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:46 PM   #20
estout81
BANNED

The 5.0 EFI had the PCV in about the same place on the manifold.
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote