Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-15-2017, 03:15 PM   #1
Hot Rod Reverend

Default Help...I've lost a few parts I need for the 55 Club Sedan

I did have everything tagged, labeled, and boxed. Ironically I cannot locate the air control cables or the choke cable. It has become quite frustrating. First question - does anyone know a source for reproduction cables for a 1955 Ford Passenger Car? I need the Left Air assembly (I am thinking the knob is permanently fastened to the cable), the choke cable (again, knob permanently fastened), the cable for the Right air (this is what makes you get fresh air in to the heat, recirculate it, or mix it), temperature cable (under dash from controls to the firewall mounted valve), and lastly the cable that goes to the vent door to choose either defrost or heater vent.

Any companies make any of those?

Anyone have any of those extra just lying around?
Old 12-15-2017, 06:21 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: Help...I've lost a few parts I need for the 55 Club Sedan

Doggone it HRR, I knew that you had read how I boxed and labelled everything to stay organized, so I couldn't believe you lost something! Don't tell me you left it back at the old house before you moved !!!
Concours parts offers a kit that has the three cables that attach to the Magic-air heater. #B5A-18518-K gives you all three cables. $69.95 for the kit.
To my knowledge nobody offers any of the cables that have the astra-dial knobs attached (choke, left air). You might inquire with Tee-Bird Products or any of those outfits that supply repro parts for the 55-56-57 T-Birds, but if they did have them, the buttons on the T-bird had that little chrome cover over the middle of the button and it won't match the rest of your dash knobs. HRR, you gotta think real hard what you did with those.
When I took all mine out, I tagged them individually, then bundled them with bread wrapping ties and slid them down into a cardboard tube and labelled it "control cables". I leaned it up against the corner of the wall where all other boxes of parts & fasteners were stacked. The tube was too big and too conspicuous to lose that way.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:27 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

Tell ya what, I do have a '52, 53, 54 left air control cable (and I am not sure which year this is for) but the button does not match with the '55 buttons. But if worst comes to worst, it's yours just for the cost of shipping only. It has been coiled up in a box for several decades here.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:38 PM   #4
Hot Rod Reverend

Thanks Dave....I will keep turning the place upside down. I honestly cannot remember! And I have everything boxed, tubed, labeled, and what have you. It ain’t looking good I tell ya
Old 12-16-2017, 12:20 PM   #5
Ole Don

Google Goodro Auto Salvage, Scotts Bluff Nebraska. I kept this guy a secret for years, now my 55 has found a new owner and I am too old to start another, so you need to keep the secret. If ever you travel across I 80, Scotts Bluff is a wonderful way to take up a day.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:42 PM   #6
Hot Rod Reverend

thanks fellas - would you believe I located these things today???? They were in the box I marked as such. Problem was my son had moved his fireworks from one place to another and this box had become misplaced. Leave it to a 14 year old boy!

Other issue that got me going - I had found a good heater control unit with chrome, etc, a few years back and had that in a box with good dash pieces to use. When I saw that with no cables attached I thought to myself "Where did put those cables?" Of course the cables were never removed from the original control unit (so I would not forget which one was which) and the whole shebang was in a large box. The choke cable and the left air vent was in there too!

thanks again guys.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:42 AM   #7
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod Reverend View Post
I located these things today????
Yaaaay !

Similarly, it is necessary to periodically re-box and shuffle spare parts in the big storage shelf due to picking parts out for use and using smaller boxes for the leftover parts in that category which helps to save valuable space. But in doing so, it is easy to forget that some boxes are moved or have become smaller when you go back to the shelf again to look for something. But like I say it is a necessary evil, but you really hate to do it because you need to re-train your mind as to the new locations of the box categories on the shelves. It takes a while getting used to the new arrangement.