Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-07-2021, 07:24 AM   #21
nkaminar

Default Re: The price of a Model A Ford

In 1968 I bought a 1930 Tudor for $150. It was completely original and untouched. With inflation I paid $1,500 in today's dollars. Same car would fetch around ten times that amount now.

I see that brass cars built before WWI are untouchable with my funds. I remember when an average person could buy one.

So, bottom line, I think if you look at the long view antique cars are a good investment. It may be that your grandkids will be the ones to see the benefit.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:53 AM   #22
kawagumby

I have two grandsons aged 18 and 20 that live next door. I also have two old fords I constantly work on next to where they live, a restored '31 deluxe roadster, and a '41 coupe hot rod. They never give either car a second glance...
When I was their age all I could think about was cars...times change, and not for the better, IMO. In the early-to-mid sixties, the car craze brought a lot of youngsters together in different ways, some of my best memories are about having fun in my friends' cars or building custom car models together. Now there is too much isolation brought on by "high tech" devices. I don't see the interest in our hobbies being carried forward much longer.
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:03 AM   #23
Jeff/Illinois

Kawa it's funny you mentioned model cars.

In the early 60's when we were kids we ooo'ed and aww'ed over the latest model cars from Revel, AMT, and such that you could buy at the dime store. We usually didn't have any money to buy them hopefully you got one for your birthday.

When you did you took your time to make it as nice as you could and all your friends would come over to see it, and you'd ride your bike over to their houses to see their model cars. It was a lot of fun.

I was just looking through the toy section at a local Walmart not even a week ago. And it dawned on me, there were no model cars to build. No paint. No glue. I guess sniffing the glue killed that hobby I don't know, then they banned the glue??

Gheez. I'm glad I'm not a kid today. How boring. They don't know how to have fun, on the cheap
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:43 AM   #24
alexiskai

That market niche didn't go to Walmart when the small hobby shops closed, it shifted over to Hobby Lobby and Michael's. HL still has a nice selection of Revell. Kit-building using Lego is extremely popular these days, although the kits are more likely to be vehicles kids know from film and TV.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 10:25 AM   #25
TheGrandRapidian

As it relates to the hobby. I’m just getting started. I’m 37 and most of my friends (and wife) think I’m crazy for wanting an A. I went to the Gilmore Model A day recently and can confirm, that yes this is an old mans hobby. I say to each there own, I’m hoping to purchase my first A in the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheGrandRapidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 12:36 PM   #26
ronn

, I’m hoping to purchase my first A in the spring.

let us know what you buy..........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 02:19 PM   #27
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandRapidian View Post
As it relates to the hobby. I’m just getting started. I’m 37 and most of my friends (and wife) think I’m crazy for wanting an A. I went to the Gilmore Model A day recently and can confirm, that yes this is an old mans hobby. I say to each there own, I’m hoping to purchase my first A in the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Naw you'd be surprised at the number of young people who like Model A's. There are a lot more than you think.

If you go to a Mustang meet yeah there are plenty of younger folks there but again the older guys (Vietnam era vets now) are in the majority they make up the bulk of the interest in those cars. 1960's Mustangs don't have the driveability of a new Mustang they don't come close to comparing. And that is what the youthful set wants, a good handling road car with a killer sound package. I would blow through a local curve posted at 35 MPH on a local highway near here at 70 with ease in my new Mustang GT. Do that in a '69 and they'll be scraping you up out of the cornfield next to it. No way I'd try that in a stock 60's Mustang or Torino.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote