Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #21
Bassman/NZ

Default Re: Mac's lost a customer today

Some companies are their own worst enemies in this regard. I sometimes have to send PC boards from New Zealand to Benicia, CA, for repair. I package them as small as possible and it costs me $11NZ which is about $9US by economy air. When they come back, they are in a way too big carton full of packing paper and the stamp on them is usually $32US!!!!! Now these are warranty items, so I dont care from my point of view, but it does not seem like a very good business practice from the US company's point of view.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #22
zzlegend

Maybe you should look what they say about Macs on the Model A forum. And some responses from Macs.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...highlight=macs
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #23
Fe26

[Quote] Another rule: Statistically, a satisfied customer tells two persons of their experience. An unsaisfied customer tells ten.
And yet another very basic rule of business: A customers perception is the businesses reailty.

Very good points Kube. But it gets worse. Another basic fact of a service based business is; for every unsatisfied customer that does complain (directly to the business) there are
twenty who don't. Of those twenty most will go back a second time, if they again receive poor service about ten percent will leave permanently. Some will continue on, putting up with bad service until at some point a trigger-point is reached, then they leave. The remainder simply put up with the bad service.

Another rule is; It's much harder to find customers than it is to lose them, and once a customer is lost it is almost impossible to get them back.

On the C&G guys, they're the only ones I use. I receive knowledgable advice, good service, no arguments or blame shifting when a part must be returned or replaced, and, shipping is very reasonable. The icing on the cake is; even though I would be prepared to wait three - four weeks for parts to be delivered to me in either Australia or New Zealand, I get them in 10-14 days.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #24
swedishsteel

I have had very good, quick service from Midwest Early Ford. Someone mentioned that the farther you are from a vendor, the more the shipping. Not true with USPS--the flat rate boxes and envelopes are the best deal going for shipping, especially small stuff. Rod
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #25
32phil

Dick Spadaro, Van Pelt, SO Cal Sacramento, Early V8 Garage, Sacramento Vintage
This list covers almost all the bases.......... Any others are a distant 2nd choice.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #26
bige386

When I need a part or parts I deal with the guys at Obsolete & classic auto parts out of Oklahoma City. I have never had any problems with them.
www.classicautoparts.com
Old 02-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #27
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlegend View Post
Maybe you should look what they say about Macs on the Model A forum. And some responses from Macs.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...highlight=macs
Yeah, just read the whole thing. Two/three things stood out:
First was the overall dislike for shipping rates/increases;
Second was that this company JUST CHANGED OWNERSHIP recently. That says alot. It you have ever been part of such a changeover..yikes, it's a wonder that they have managed to survive so far...i.e.-they need time to sort bad from good apples/practices/parts ,eh! It sure as heck takes more than a month or two to make all the changes that apparently were and are needed. However, the 'new' ownership promises needed changes.
Finally, I was in a quandry about WHY was the overwhelming majority of Macs intercontinental (other countries) customers happy/satisfied, when only about half US customers were satisfied Hm, an answer to this question may help Macs overall, IMO!
Possible answer, IMV, is that we are used to getting IT now and cheap. whereas long distance customers....are glad to get it at all..mabe?

Last edited by hardtimes; 02-05-2013 at 09:18 PM. Reason: .....
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #28
j32

I buy my parts from Dick Spadaro, Dick and Bill are both very knowledgeable and I have also purchased a bunch of original parts from them. They go out of their way to keep their prices very reasonable,which is getting more difficult to do.
j32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #29
Talkwrench

Im with Bassman.. Im starting to move away from Macs only because of the cost of shipping, [ Im in Western Australia] Im sure the are making "a bit on the side" when it comes to shipping.. Started using C&G They seemed to be just as quick, I placed a small order for some U bolts this morning ..see what they charge me for post..???
Old 02-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #30
L78CHEVELLE

I don't mean to open up a can of worns here. I'm only telling you what I do when buying parts. I don't buy from Illinois, New York, or California because of the way these states are taking away the freedom of individuals in their states. These states are the worst in my opinion, and I'm not going to support them.
L78CHEVELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #31
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Yeah, just read the whole thing. Two/three things stood out:
First was the overall dislike for shipping rates/increases;
Second was that this company JUST CHANGED OWNERSHIP recently. That says alot. It you have ever been part of such a changeover..yikes, it's a wonder that they have managed to survive so far...i.e.-they need time to sort bad from good apples/practices/parts ,eh! It sure as heck takes more than a month or two to make all the changes that apparently were and are needed. However, the 'new' ownership promises needed changes.
Finally, I was in a quandry about WHY was the overwhelming majority of Macs intercontinental (other countries) customers happy/satisfied, when only about half US customers were satisfied Hm, an answer to this question may help Macs overall, IMO!
Possible answer, IMV, is that we are used to getting IT now and cheap. whereas long distance customers....are glad to get it at all..mabe?
I agree with you hardtimes.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #32
48-710

I, also, live in Australia and found that shipping was a killer esp for larger items. BUT now I have a contact in FL where I have all my ebay and vendor sales sent too. Where they are repacked into smaller boxes/parcels and I only pay the correct postage. Larger ,heavier, items like brake drums are crated up and sent to a shipping agent that I use in LA and it comes over in his container. A little longer in time but a hell of a lot easier on the wallet
48-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:48 AM   #33
Fe26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48-710 View Post
I, also, live in Australia and found that shipping was a killer esp for larger items. BUT now I have a contact in FL where I have all my ebay and vendor sales sent too. Where they are repacked into smaller boxes/parcels and I only pay the correct postage. Larger ,heavier, items like brake drums are crated up and sent to a shipping agent that I use in LA and it comes over in his container. A little longer in time but a hell of a lot easier on the wallet
I too use a Sydney agent with contacts in L.A. Good for large or heavy items. If the postal charge is above $70.00 I use his service.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:01 AM   #34
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Kansas,
Hmm, you did not complain about the parts that you rec'd perse, so your complaint is shipping costs. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if shipping distances are longer or shorter, costs are more or less? So, if I recommend C&G (or others) and they are further away from you, then say..Macs, will you have to pay more to ship same parts longer distance ? .
I think his point is here :

" the shipping was $29.99 it all would fit in a medium flat rate box! They wouldn't ship it anyway but UPS and the flat rate figure. ".

If you are unaware of the USPS flat rate shipping program, it can be a really good deal to use. It normally only takes 2-3 days for a USPS medium flat rate box to go anywhere in the lower 48 states and even with the latest postage increase its a flat $12.30 for the medium box size if I remember correctly.
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #35
Cecil/WV

I just ordered vent window seals from Mac's for my square T bird, the only vendor that I know where to get them, and they would fit in the littlest flat rate box, but the shipping is $17.00. First order I have given to them in over 2 years.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #36
trainguy

I wonder if Mac's reads these threads?If I were in that business I would pay close attention to these feedbacks and try to do damage control.Phil
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #37
Rowdy
BANNED

Is Early Ford V8 in Walker, Ia. still open? I bought some parts from them several years ago. Good customer service and decent quality parts at the time. If they are still open they would be my first choice. Rod
Old 02-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #38
37slantback

Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree View Post
I just talked to Dick yesterday about the clutch chatter issue with my `51 Ford F1. He took his time and explained to me the possibilities, not once putting down a business or a manufacturer.

I talked to Mac VanPelt yesterday also. Mac is another super icon in this business and takes his time to talk about drive train or engine issues.

From this point on I will go to these two gentlemen first. They have the expertise and the experience. We need to support those who help us most...
37slantback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #39
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
Is Early Ford V8 in Walker, Ia. still open? I bought some parts from them several years ago. Good customer service and decent quality parts at the time. If they are still open they would be my first choice. Rod
I sure hope so Rod, ive got some good original stuff from him over the yrs.And reasonable to boot. Pleasure to deal with. Maybe i'll call him and find out. ken ct. Hey Rod, just talked to Lowell @ EFV8 in Walker,he still going but buss. has dropped off conciderbly and hes barely hanging on.Maybe it will pick up for him putting something here on the barn. Hes such a nice old man it would be a shame to lose him.Lots of NOS parts he has. His # is 1-319-448-4592

Last edited by ken ct; 02-06-2013 at 11:47 AM.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #40
Rowdy
BANNED

Thanks, I will call and get a new catalog from him as likely later this year I will need afew things. My most recent one is 2003, so likely the prices and selection have changed some. Lets all try to keep a good man in bussiness. Rod