Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
KansasV8

Default Mac's lost a customer today

What source of parts do you guys use? I had always bought my early V-8 parts from Macs but I am not going to use them anymore. I had made an order for two B fuel pump kits, two condensers, two points sets and a couple of fuel line connectors, less than $180 in parts but the shipping was $29.99 it all would fit in a medium flat rate box! They wouldn't ship it anyway but UPS and the flat rate figure. It's time to find someone else to do business with.

So who do you guys recommend for parts like I listed?
KansasV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
Old Henry

Default Re: Mac's lost a customer today

C&G Early Ford Parts http://www.cgfordparts.com/index.html But I've usually found them a bit more expensive than Mac's. I buy from them when I'm in a hurry because they're closer and I get their stuff quicker.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
Barry-ct

I like the people at C&G, very friendly and accomodating. THat has to count for something. THe shipping rates they go by nowadays( most businesses ) is the latest way to make more off your sale. THey get volume discounts for shipping, but don't pass it on to you.

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasV8 View Post
What source of parts do you guys use? I had always bought my early V-8 parts from Macs but I am not going to use them anymore. I had made an order for two B fuel pump kits, two condensers, two points sets and a couple of fuel line connectors, less than $180 in parts but the shipping was $29.99 it all would fit in a medium flat rate box! They wouldn't ship it anyway but UPS and the flat rate figure. It's time to find someone else to do business with.

So who do you guys recommend for parts like I listed?
It depends on what you need of course... Carpenter has a very fair "standard" shipping price. Plus, for nearly all items, they are considerably less expensive than (ex) Drake for often the exact piece.
I was taught many years ago a couple of very basic rules in retail. One is: if one must charge a service fee (that would include shipping) that person / business is far better off placing that fee (hiding it so to speak) within the cost of the merchandise.
It is a perception thing. Most folks won't notice an extra .50¢ added to a part here and there but the will notice very high shipping fees and / or poor service.
Another rule: Statistically, a satisfied customer tells two persons of their experience. An unsaisfied customer tells ten.
And yet another very basic rule of business: A customers perception is the businesses reailty.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
jim1932

I use Dick Spadaro because I don't get some idiot kid when I call to order.
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
ct1932ford

Joe's Antique Auto Parts. Great Service everytime!
joesantiqueauto.com
Old 02-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
Mark Slight

As Berry-ct stated I also like the people at C&G, they are very pleasent to talk with. I have an advantage living in California that my orders arrive quickley. As for venders who will not ship for reasonable charges and packaging they will get the message by lost revenue and customers. My 2cents worth.

Mark
Mark Slight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #8
Shadetree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1932 View Post
I use Dick Spadaro because I don't get some idiot kid when I call to order.
I just talked to Dick yesterday about the clutch chatter issue with my `51 Ford F1. He took his time and explained to me the possibilities, not once putting down a business or a manufacturer.

I talked to Mac VanPelt yesterday also. Mac is another super icon in this business and takes his time to talk about drive train or engine issues.

From this point on I will go to these two gentlemen first. They have the expertise and the experience. We need to support those who help us most...
Old 02-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
funrunr

I really liked dealing with Dick Spadaro. I ordered some parts that he had to obtain from other vendors which took a little longer but in return he only charged actual shipping. I thought that was unusually fare and I wasn't use to that great service. While making my order he took the time to help when needed and explained options. Great people!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
Cecil/WV

Not to knock any other vendors, but the last order I made with C & G was at my door within 5 days, Ca to WV.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #11
TStiles

I've ordered from most of them and found C&G to be somewhat more accommodating than the others. I like speaking with people who 1) know their products and 2) do what they say they'll do. I've had issues with MacHils shipping product that was only partly manufactured. That's the only source that I wouldn't return to under any condition.
TStiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #12
mike42

Kansas.....ditto with C & G. I order on-line most every Sunday. My parts are shipped on Monday afternoon and I get a notice telling me it went out. Thursday I have the parts. I used Carpenter a lot, but C & G seems to be the best. I've not had all that great of luck with Mac's at all.

Mike
mike42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
Bassman/NZ

C&G gave me a good overseas shipping rate and Cody was very helpful. Macs and Speedway have both priced themselves off my radar as far as shipping goes.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #14
Mike51Merc

With shipping costs skyrocketing, these vendors have to get creative and use alternate shippers. Sticking with "one program" is efficient for your own labor costs, but your customers don't care about your internal labor costs.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #15
hardtimes

Hey Kansas,
Hmm, you did not complain about the parts that you rec'd perse, so your complaint is shipping costs. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if shipping distances are longer or shorter, costs are more or less? So, if I recommend C&G (or others) and they are further away from you, then say..Macs, will you have to pay more to ship same parts longer distance ? Well, good service/good parts.. very important and we all seem to look for that. So, do we pay for more ship costs... for 'good' service by shipping further? Yeah, choice is good. Bad service and/or bad parts make choice easier....but shipping costs? Because fuel/payroll/advert/taxes,etc..on/on are a rising reality (if parts are good), can you really point to a vendors' cost.
I use C&G and Sac Vintage Ford, because they are in Ca and so am I. But, Calif has highest taxes/gas/etc.. in the US. I have personally darn near stopped buying from vendors...due to shipping costs/practices..that you stated. Make do with less and buy from barners when possible. IMV, it's not the 'fault' of vendors that we are in this situation....they could all go to sneaking in hidden $ practices as someone suggested.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #16
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1932ford View Post
Joe's Antique Auto Parts. Great Service everytime!
joesantiqueauto.com

Yup, and not only that--when you call you will be talking to Joe.

TM
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #17
34pickup

Their shipping costs is the very reason I also stopped buying from Macs. Stuff that would ship in an envelope is charged by a percentage of the cost of the item and like stated, shipped by UPS which is way more expensive on the small stuff. I like to use Midwest Early Ford Store. They are more reasonable on shipping.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #18
40fordpu

Check out James at Joblot Auto. He is really knowledgeable, part prices are comparable to macs and shipping is always fair.
40fordpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #19
hombres ruin

I go to C&G alot as they are 30 mins from my house,in fact i was there yesterday.They are always helpful and have the stuff you need,I really never had a problem with them and i have been dealing with them for about 10 yrs now
Old 02-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #20
Pete/Ct.

I use Spadaro, not only are they resonable and experts on old Fords but Dick is a frequent contributor to the Barn.
Pete/Ct. is offline   Reply With Quote