Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
Carb Guy

Default Cutouts & Tom Wesenberg advice

Tom your instructions on the cutout repair was right on the money, all 3 work now. On the way I found several things that I had to do to get the .006 on the magnetic post and the moveable upper arm. It was not possible to get to the .006 without taking the 2 screws out on the lower adjustable point holder and taking the whole thing down to the frame. the center magnetic post was worn enough so that the upper arm would hit the frame before it got to .006. this ment filing down the frame enough to get clearance on the frame and be able to bring the arm to the .006 between the arm and the magnetic post. Then this also ment that the brass upper arm keeper the piece that is slotted on the top and goes over the arm to control the movment of the arm had to have the 2 holes slotted to the top to let it move down to let the arm get to the .006. Then the point clearance could be set to the .020 buy adjusting the brass keeper. One other thing if someone else does this the insulators want to fall apart and it takes new insulators. Im sure you know all of this, I only submit this for other restorers. Thanks Tom
Carb Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
leo

Default Re: Cutouts & Tom Wesenberg advice

Hey Carb Guy, what did you use to make new insulators?
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
Carb Guy

I have a small thin sheet of the modern material that is used for this purpose, I don't know what it is called, I just cut small pieces to size and punched the holes in them.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

I found some thin fiber board at the electronics surplus store, but it doesn't show up very often. I don't know where to buy it on a regular basis.

Glad it worked out for you on the cutouts. The .006" isn't any magic number, but you want the plate close enough to be pulled down, yet when it's pulled down you need some air space so you know it isn't hitting the core, but that the contacts are what's stopping any further down movement.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
Carb Guy

Exactly How it all worked out, Without the .006 they would not work. Plated the covers so should have some nice looking and working cutouts. Thanks again Tom