Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-06-2020, 09:42 AM   #61
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 8BA doesnt have power

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentclark View Post
I pulled all the plugs and all a re black so i am running rich, some were black-wet. I have black residue below the exhaust pipes on my drive. I have the 94 adjusters out only 1 turn and still seems rich.

I think I have a vacuum leak somewhere which will account for the low vacuum pressure of 15 psi. Ill double check the intake and fuel pump block-off when the weather gets better. Man, I need a heated shop! God Bless you all....
Rich and a vacuum leak are working in different directions. A vacuum leak would normally lead to lean condition, so correcting it would cause it to be even more rich. Of course you need to correct both issues. The carburetor issue could be from many internal leak sources, incorrect float level, needle valve not seating, etc.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:33 PM   #62
Art Newland

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentclark View Post
mart, flatheadted, no heat riser hole. stock manifold doesnt have one. something stupid is going on. ill keep tinkering.....

BTW, I dug up the old 94 that I had on it as a teenager and drove this truck all the time. it has a hole drilled in the carb above the accel pump plunger. not sure who did this, wasnt me but it ran like a champ. is there a reason to do this. Here is a photo.
I just assembled a "Franken-Holley 94" for the engine on my stand and it had that hole in it also, It was a "EC" model.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:37 AM   #63
chiefdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Just a side note. I really like the small base 4G's as well. I got real lucky and found a matched pair (both from '53 Olds Stick cars!) that I rebuilt for an early Offenhauser dual quad on a '51 Rocket. That was about 5 years ago. Lately, I cannot find a decent core for under $100 (on eBay, a lot more). Even small base 2G's are getting difficult to find and expensive. This led to my ill-fated project of trying to put a quadrajet on a flathead.

I ran into the same problem trying to find a WCFB in rebuildable condition, prices were $200+. Ended up going the 390 Holley route. Not the look I wanted but performance is good and a dog dish air cleaner cover hides most of the carb.
chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:30 PM   #64
trentclark

Update, found a few things out. I decided to rebuild one of my 94 cores, tore two apart and one had an extra part I didnt know existed. looked at the rebuild diagram and item 42-pump discharge needle. it wasnt in my current carb, took it apart and added it. Also, wondered if all 8 cylinders were firing. put a spark light thingy between the plug and wire and showed signal to all 8. used my timing light and put the plug wire lead on each wire. #2 and #6 did not send a strobe of light. I figured the plugs were fouling somehow. They are champion rh10c. swapped them out with some new Autolites and now I have 8 cylinders firing. explains the rich exhaust and no power. has much more power now and can hit 50 mph in 3rd. still wants to backfire out the exhaust when I push it to full throttle. I played with the timing back and forth and couldnt get past the backfire over 2000 rpm. Ill rebuild the second carb this week and put it on to see if it is carb related. if not, Ive talked to bubba about rebuilding my loadamatic dizzy. getting closer which is nice. felt good going 50 mph for once.
trentclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:36 PM   #65
trentclark

one more somewhat unrelated question. I have an 8BA with an 8RT dipstick. I have two dipsticks (no teenage kids intended) the other one doesnt have a stamp of which motor it goes with. I cannot find anything on the internet about which one might fit the 8BA. photo uploads are failing so Ill send photos when I figure that out. God Bless.
trentclark is offline   Reply With Quote