Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-07-2014, 12:23 AM   #1
drumyn29

Default aluminum fan

I keep reading about stock fans coming apart and destroying things. Should I be worried when I'm under the hood with motor running? Where can I buy a replacement that will still look appealing? I've heard about an aluminum fan.
drumyn29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:41 AM   #2
28ACoupe

Default Re: aluminum fan

All the major Model A parts suppliers offer them in their catalogs. However, it would seem that lately, they are back-ordered. However, I could very well be wrong on this.

You might check with your local club as well. Perhaps someone has one of them available for sale.

Best of luck to you.
28ACoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:56 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumyn29 View Post
I keep reading about stock fans coming apart and destroying things. Should I be worried when I'm under the hood with motor running? Where can I buy a replacement that will still look appealing? I've heard about an aluminum fan.
YES be afraid, very afraid! A search will revel the horror stories of fans destroying things under the hood. Thank goodness that there are no stories of people getting physically hurt.

There is a shortage of aluminum fans right not so I would get on a back order list with a vendor now.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:03 AM   #4
rocket1

I would try to find a good original fan,check the blades close to the pulley any welds or small cracks reject it,when you find a good one and paint it always check for cracks in your routine maintenance.I have been running the original fan for 40 some years!
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:36 AM   #5
pennies4pennies

I have a original fan I found in a box that came with my car. I have heard on these horror stores to. I sand blasted my blade and polished the aluminum and painted the pulley. It looks great with not one crack. I don't think I am going to use it so I to order a new aluminum fan. It's true they are back order for months now. Snyder makes the fan. I think I will be selling my original blade. I don't think I want to take a chance after what I have heard the past year.
pennies4pennies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:39 AM   #6
28ACoupe

Original fans were stamped steel I believe. I could be wrong, but I suspect the aluminum fan you found is actually an aftermarket which is not a bad thing.
28ACoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #7
Growley bear

Quote:
I wouldn't say to be worried as mush as respectful. After being closely involved with engines for many years, I have learned to stay out of the arc of the fan as much as possible while the engine is running and be very very careful when revving the engine while in the engine area. Try to learn from other peoples warnings and mistakes. I learned to be especially careful when adjusting the timing on a 1950 Ford and the owner was standing over my shoulder watching. The strobe at times will give the ILLUSION that a moving object is static. While in the process of aiming the strobe, the beam flashed on the generator pulley/fan and the guy said, "Hey the generator isn't---------". He never finished what he had to say and it was bloody but no broken bones or missing parts.
Although I don't know of any instances of someone being hurt with a ballistic fan blade, I was associated with a ballistic propeller blade from a large model airplane impaling the operator at the flying field. My friend broke the news to his wife and family.
If it can happen, it will. I'll get off my soap box now,

Chet
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennies4pennies View Post
I have a original fan I found in a box that came with my car. I have heard on these horror stores to. I sand blasted my blade and polished the aluminum and painted the pulley. It looks great with not one crack. I don't think I am going to use it so I to order a new aluminum fan. It's true they are back order for months now. Snyder makes the fan. I think I will be selling my original blade. I don't think I want to take a chance after what I have heard the past year.
If you polished aluminum, you have a good repro fan made by Snyder's and sold through most all the parts houses. If you are unsure, just put a magnet to it. If the magnet sticks, then it's the steel fan.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:06 AM   #9
Purdy Swoft

I think that pennies has an old replacement fan with an aluninum hub and steel blades. Usually the blade is one piece and bolts to the aluminum hub with four bolts.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #10
fiddlybits

There is only one downside to putting on the aluminum fan and that is either finding a pump body that was cast symmetric or machining the nose of the pump body so that the thicker cast aluminum hub will clear. On one of the bodies the nose was so off center I had to turn 3/16" off of one side just to make it "round".
fiddlybits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #11
pennies4pennies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I think that pennies has an old replacement fan with an aluninum hub and steel blades. Usually the blade is one piece and bolts to the aluminum hub with four bolts.
I was wrong. I put a magnet on my blade and it stuck. It polished so well and I really thought the original blades where aluminum. I was wrong.
As you can see in my pictures where the metal was folded over in the front and it looks like some kind of factory weld that goes around the blade. Still I haven't run the car with this blade and I am in the works of removing the blade. There is some pits on just one side of the fan and I thought that was funny thinking this is aluminum. I was proved wrong. Still even though there is no cracks or damage to the blade it's coming off and I am going to sell it and use the money for other parts on the car. Great post and I have learn a lot.
Thanks
Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 300.jpg (503.0 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg 302.jpg (564.6 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg 303.jpg (377.5 KB, 223 views)
Old 04-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #12
Mark W.

Must have been luck of the draw, but I bought a new fan from Tam's, got it off his shelf, and it bolted right up with no issues just like they said it would...

As for my original fan, it was badly cracked and now resides in a box of original "take-offs" from getting the car roadworthy - not that I'd ever try to repair it.
Mark W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #13
Joe K

Pennies, you have an original model fan - the one that came with the majority of Model A Fords when new.

Late in 1931, Ford changed the OEM fan to include a different weld pattern near the hub - and single width blades beyond.

Either of these fans if uncracked are in some demand from the fine point people - and you should get a reasonable price.

I would take cash for it were I you. (ahem)

Joe K
Old 04-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #14
pennies4pennies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
Pennies, you have an original model fan - the one that came with the majority of Model A Fords when new.

Late in 1931, Ford changed the OEM fan to include a different weld pattern near the hub - and single width blades beyond.

Either of these fans if uncracked are in some demand from the fine point people - and you should get a reasonable price.

I would take cash for it were I you. (ahem)

Joe K
Any thoughts on a reasonable price. I might post it here. Or where would be the best place to post?
Frank
Old 04-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #15
hardtimes

Quote:
WORRIED...YUP ! The newest version of the alum two blade is great, is powder coated and looks great..so far !
NOTE:
I've got TWO great looking original fans..if you need !!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #16
Purdy Swoft

I've seen uncracked late original two blade fans priced at one hundred dollars at swap meets.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:11 PM   #17
leatherback1929

Last week while on a car cruise I threw a fan blade on my 1929 Model A, yes fan blade not the belt. It was the original style and I was aware of the potential failure and would check it often but, it failed and hit the radiator outlet and then the side of the engine cover. I purchased one of the one piece aluminum fan blade and pulley from Snyder. I stalled my belt and noticed that the standard V belt exceeded the pulley OD by 1/8in. When I contacted Snyder the technical person said it is suppose to be that way. This condition will get better after the paint in the belt groove wears off ? Yes it will get better but, I don't think it will be correct but yes it will work. Be very cautious with the original blades, they are prone to fracture!
leatherback1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:40 PM   #18
BILL WILLIAMSON

WELL! jump on me if you want to, IF you get too ROUGH, I'll SIC the Dog on you!!
Just get you a 6 blade fan that the vendors sell, they're SAFE, run VERY true, & I've NEVER heard of a failure!
Me & the Dog jist don't feel "right" about ALUJIMUM fans. The Dog sez, "Wunder if they made out of BEER CANS"??------AND, there's too many "stories" about the tapered hole not being "right"!
Most modern cars run PLASTIC fans, IF ALUJIMUM fans wuz so GREAT, why AIN'T they used widely??
And if you're worried about "looks", they look the same, when the motor's RUNNING!
If Gregg were still here, he'd APPROVE the message above, CUZ he owed me MONEY!!---Bill W.
(OH! & if you got an old cracked fan, DON'T hang it on the wall, BREAK it & throw it away, so someone, years later, might find & use it & risk GREAT INJURY, or it might "PUT OUT HIS LIGHTS"----(Like, DAID!)

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 05-19-2014 at 07:47 PM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:43 PM   #19
Joe K

Were I to sell an uncracked original fan blade, I would get EXACTLY what the repop price would be delivered.

I feel it's only a matter of time before the judging standards are changed and give equal weight to original or "original style appearing" fans. Just as they give equal weight to original pressed steel drums and cast iron replacement drums. This in the interest of the safety of the hobby generally.

PLUS, given an equal price standing, one can't be blamed for "selling off an accident waiting to happen" should it actually happen. The buyer makes his choice - the buyer takes his chances. And the money doesn't enter into the equation.

Just one opine. And generally I do sleep well at night - and I don't plan on using - or selling my rather difficult to see the flaw slight cracked fan. (and it is cracked up near where the fold is just behind the nut.)

Joe K
Old 05-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #20
pennies4pennies

I took off my original fan and bought a 4 blade steel fan. I haven't tried selling the original fan. I think I might just hang it on the shop wall. I'm not taking no chances.