Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
1928Pickuppain

Default Fixed I should always work in the dark

So after checking everything I could think of I decided to drill the freeze plugs put in my. Carburetor and drill out the passages. Did this and proceded to re install yesterday. By this time t was dark I started it up and once again the same proble it was missing. I decided to open the hood to look at it one last time while it was running before I gave up for the day. That's wen I saw little blue sparks in the dark. My thrif plugs copper wire was to close to the timing linkage causeing it to ach. After a quick adjustment I was off to get ice cream with my lady she never ran better I figure between the new points the new coil te new wires the new plugs and the Newley cleaned out carb she got one he'll of a tune up. Never thought working in the dark could be a benifit.
1928Pickuppain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Fixed I should always work in the dark

Yep, the dark is great for finding high tension shorts.

Also know that when you buy the spark plug straps, some are just made of soft yellow brass, while the good ones are made of bronze, as seen by the redish color to them. The bronze has spring to it and will stay in place better, as well as look correct.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928Pickuppain View Post
So after checking everything I could think of I decided to drill the freeze plugs put in my. Carburetor and drill out the passages. Did this and proceded to re install yesterday. By this time t was dark I started it up and once again the same proble it was missing. I decided to open the hood to look at it one last time while it was running before I gave up for the day. That's wen I saw little blue sparks in the dark. My thrif plugs copper wire was to close to the timing linkage causeing it to ach. After a quick adjustment I was off to get ice cream with my lady she never ran better I figure between the new points the new coil te new wires the new plugs and the Newley cleaned out carb she got one he'll of a tune up. Never thought working in the dark could be a benifit.
Yeah, when as a kid, we didn't have money to do 'remove/replace' mentality for diagnosing the old car problems. One 'cheap' good way to SEE what was going on under the hood....always lift the hood in the unlit shed or after dark to see what arching was going on.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
Richard Wilson

Congratulations! Simple stuff can be the hardest to find. We have been on several club tours with a Model A acting up and not found a short until near or after dark when we could locate an intermittent short by wiggling wires, etc and seeing a spark. Luckily, one time I found one inside the gas tank tunnel on a member's car this way. The alternative was to wait for the fire when the wire welded itself to the tank.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
'lilredcoupe

Send a message via AIM to 'lilredcoupe

Glad she's runnin' good for you now! I can imagine your relief!
Old 03-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
Erskine48

If you really want to see a problem lite up! Lock up brakes and power brake it in the dark, finds those little misses under load. Bob E.
Erskine48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
jrelliott

You can also put some heat shrink tubing on the timing rod where it passes by the spark plug wire. No more shorts. JMHO
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote